“Sicily Experience”
Review of Albergo Cavour

Albergo Cavour
Ranked #32 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I stayed in Albergo Cavour for 2 nights. It was a nice cute family owned hotel, rooms are spacious, so does the bathroom. well decorated. very nice view from the balcony. very good price for its value. 2 mins walk to the train station. 15-20 mins walk to the city center, which is quite convenient. The owner doesn't speak much English but she is very helpful. I had my first but very good Sicily experience there.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank cookie8680

Reviewed 4 July 2013

It's hard to find too much fault with Albergo Cavour. The rooms were spacious and clean; and it is in a very good location. There was nothing particularly wrong with the service as it was perfectly adequate. It just wasn't quite as warm as some of the other b&bs I've been to. Nevertheless would still recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JensLekMcCann
Reviewed 23 May 2013

This family run pension is located few steps from the central station (trains and buses), one block from the main street Via Roma. Accomodation is at the top floors of a 6 level building, very safe as you only guests are allowed in. Apparently all staff is the family only. Our room was spacious and with a wide panorama as the building is one of the tallest in the area. There is aircondition, but was not needed at the time - when windows are open there is the usual Palermo city noise in the background. The plastic under sheet was a bit strange, and the mattress top was too hard for me - a softer 2 inch top mattress would do. No luxury, but everything you need except breakfast (plenty of bars and cafes around are open for breakfast). One of the staff spoke good english, service was friendly and very helpful when we asked.

Room Tip: One of the higher floors is best, not once near the entrance.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2013

The hotel is close to the train station, just a few minutes walk. You ring the bell at the door and are buzzed in. The room was clean and large. There is a plastic cover on the mattress. The bathroom was clean. Wifi was good. There is no room safe. There is no breakfast. Cash only. I guess they were trying to be helpful, but provided me with very, very bad information.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank MickeyK50
Reviewed 29 April 2013

This hotel really was a find! Within walking distance of nearly everything you would like to be within walking distance of and the rooms and bathrooms are spotlessly clean. The staff is friendly and helpful and we really enjoyed our stay here. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 December 2012

Immaculate small albergo, my room was as clean as an operating theatre, which is more than can be said for the city of Palermo.Breakfast not included in the price, but plenty of places nearby for a brioche & cappuchino. I had a large balcony, with views of the sea and the mountains. Helpful advice over what to see, would be very happy to stay here again. Don't get too worked up over going to Palermo, it's dirty & decaying, they don't know what garbage collection is, it ought to be an embarassment to Italy. Every other city I've been to in Italy has civic pride, Palermo just has rubbish.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank sidg02
Reviewed 26 October 2012

This won't be to all tastes but this is the kind of place I love to find. The 5th floor rooms of this grand building are furnished in an old fashioned style have high ceilings, are spotless, and equipped with TV and wifi. I was more than impressed when I opened the door to the gigantic balcony that came with my well appointed room. As I was watching the pennies, I opted for a room without an en-suite bathroom. The shared one opposite my room was large, bright and always immaculately clean. I got the distinct impression that they take great pride in looking after the place and you.

Despite my meagre Italian and the hostess's basic English she was able to give me some sound recommendations on where to eat well. I had to change my original plans at the last minute and cut short my visit (cancel a few days of my booking) - they could not have been more helpful or understanding. You access the Albrego using the 'old school' cage like lift or trapse up and down the five flights of circular marble stairway. It's very convenient to the station and the Ballaro market and old part of town.

Room Tip: I had a single without bathroom ensuite that came with a massive balcony. The other rooms I saw look...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo