“Poor air conditioning”

Ranked #8 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
Hertfordshire
“Poor air conditioning”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hotel was chosen by our tour company.
The reception area & corridors are fairly stylish. Our bedroom however, though roomy, was extremely dated - gold, maroon & beige - & seemed to have been designed by someone who had never read a book in bed - very poor lighting & a shelf as a head board.
Our air conditioning never worked properly so we were miserably hot all the time making sleeping difficult. We complained twice & our tour manager also took up the problem with Reception. They seemed to feel a trickle of cold air meant there wasn't a fault.
Breakfasts were OK.
The hotel is said to be central but most of the places a tourist will want to visit are quite a walk away,

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Omagh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Despite the mixed reviews below we decided to take a chance and book this hotel, paying for a room with a balcony overlooking the piazza. (I emailed the hotel ahead of time to ask for a room on a high floor at the front… mailto: mail@hotelpoliteama.it )

Our first impressions of the foyer were not good….the furniture is very 1970’s which looks out of place in this old building. It’s such a shame…the right furniture would make this foyer really impressive. However, we spent very little time in it so it didn’t really bother us.

The first room we were given was room 801….I thought the room smelt….the balcony was a waste of time….There was a big wall across it, restricting the view, you had to stand up to see anything.

I immediately asked the big guy on Reception if I could see another room….he appeared a little hesitant but did grant my request…..I looked at room 702….although a different layout in the bed & bath rooms it was worth a swap….the view from the balcony was amazing.…overlooked the square which was a hive of activity at all times.

The room had twin beds, a good sized fridge, air conditioning that worked and a small shower…. which although in a small cubicle was powerful enough.

There are a lot of reviews below about the breakfast, but I thought it was ok….there was a good variety of choices and would definitely give you enough to start to start the day off. I don’t know if the fruit was tinned or the juices diluted as I don’t eat fruit and drank water which was ice cold. The tea was lovely, with hot water…we asked for and were given espresso coffee which was just fine….in fact on my last day, the waiter brought the coffee without me asking.

WiFi is hit and miss…..we had to go to the foyer to use this….We needed it to book a hotel for the next part of our trip. We had two I Pads and usually we look together and compare our finds but I was told that I couldn’t have access from two computers at the same time….!!!!
When we first got onto the computer, there was a counter with a price attached, suggesting we were being charges but when I asked I was told (rudely) that this was because this was an old system.

What lets this hotel down, in my opinion is the reception staff and the reason I have given it 4 stars.

The dining room staff are pleasant and work hard….the house keeping staff greet you with a smile but the reception staff are the most sullen I have ever encountered.
The staff don’t wear name badges so I can’t tell you who is who but I can tell you that the big guy was ok and did occasionally smile…the girl was sullen but the worst one without doubt, was the guy with rings on almost every finger, he was so unapproachable, I wonder why on earth he is in the job!!!! I actually witnessed him one day sending three English ladies in the wrong direction for a bus…(I advised them of the correct direction) He was so rude and definitely not the face I’d be putting front of house If I owned a hotel.

The guys on at night were much better and were actually very pleasant.

When all is said and done, the hotel was in a fantastic location:

Room Tip: Turn left out of the hotel and walk for about 2 minutes and you will come to the bus station….you ca...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Great location and a good value for the price. The staff is very helpful and the included breakfast is good. The rooms are large for European rooms and are clean with nice towels. Only drawback is the AC does not work very well.

Room Tip: Get a room that does not face the Piazza if you want a cooler quieter room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank SuePiazza62
ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is indeed a handy hotel right at the centre of things in Palermo, giving you access to shopping and the opera. It is an easy walk to good sidewalk restaurants, or even to a MAC if you feel inclined to have universal fast food.
Food is the one thing that this hotel lacks. Breakfast is at an absolute minimum. In fact we got the feeling that the staff in the tiny breakfast room were more interested in clearing the tables than catering for your morning break-fast. Juice was of a poor quality. The range of breakfast fare was very limited.
The rooms are okay, but be warned that the lifts are tiny. Be prepared to wait if you are part of or arrive at the same time as a tour.
The barman deserves a medal for service beyond the call of duty at night, rounding up both food and drinks for us.
If you are keen to have a Palermo Hotel that gives convenience of access to the city, the Politeama may be for you.
Don't expect to find the man at reception good humoured and attentive, especially when you are in a hurry to retrieve something from the inconvenient safe behind the reception area. The girls were okay.
The Palermo area is worth exploring. Beware of shop prices. Don't expect bargains.
Enjoy Sicily.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank patsIreland
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

We stayed twice,only because it had been pre booked for us. Dreadful room, begrudgingly changed, not clean, front desk Luke warm. Don't know how they got 4star
Locality quite convenient esp for airport bus. You don't need a car and they have no parking

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Phil M
Deerfield Beach, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

The hotel is in a great location--across the street from Politeama square and all of the great shops. It is also across the street from the hop on/hop off bus which we found very convenient. The front desk clerks were somewhat helpful and not always so friendly but they did answer our questions. For us the WI-FI was free and the breakfast was included. The hotel is older with interesting decor but for the price it was worth it. We booked at booking.com and got a great rate foe two nights. I believe it was under $200 for both nights and we had a triple on the fourth floor overlooking the piazza. The beds were comfortable and the room and bathroom were spacious. If I remember correctly, I think they only turned on the air conditioning at night. I would recommend it for the right price and for the location.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank rdevaney68
Stafford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

Good and fairly quiet location with numerous bars and restaurants in the local area. Go down the pedestrian side streets to escape tourist menus though. The hotel itself was fairly basic and shabby but the bedrooms were quiet which was good.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends