“Pleasant working stay”

Politeama Palace Hotel
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I have been there for 5 nights, the hotel is clean, silent and very well located in the center. For a 4 stars hotel I was expecting a newer structure and a richer breakfast. However the personnel is very kind and the price fair.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Brum112
Write a ReviewReviews (1,362)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This hotel does not have the most recent fashions in its decor, although the reception area has a funky mixture of comfy ultramodern and classical furniture. Front desk staff were very helpful and welcoming. We were upgraded to a large room on a high level with a small balcony and wonderful view of the square. Room was large, a little dark but comfy, with a bar-fridge, okay bathroom, good toiletries. Aircon was okay, but we were there in late May before the real heat starts. We did not notice any noise from the square but we had window closed at night. Breakfast was a very good buffet, mostly cold foods but with everything you would expect in plentiful supply. Good coffee, with espresso on request. The hotel is in a great location for exploring Palermo, close to lots of places to eat and wander at night. I would stay here again, definitely. We got a good deal on the internet, cheaper than our travel agent could get.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My wife and 9 year old daughter stayed at this hotel for 3 nights.
Upon arrival the front desk were very helpful and courteous.

We arrived at 8:30pm. When we entered the room, it was nice and clean, but the air conditioner was not working. I called up the front desk and they promptly sent a very nice guy to assist. They could not get it working so they upgraded us to a larger room. This time the air conditioner was actually blowing air, but we were told that the air conditioner won't start working until 10pm. I thought that was strange, but went with it. We went out to grab a bite to eat and returned to the room at 11pm. It was very hot as the air conditioning did not actually start working. By this time, my daughter was very tired and I was very frustrated as I had a very early Skype meeting to attend. This time I went to the front desk and told them that the air conditioning is still not working. Third room.... Finally a room with a working air conditioning unit at midnight.

Problem number two encountered. The wi-fi wasn't working in the room. Seeing as I had an important meeting in the morning, it was paramount to have this working. By this point I was very irate.
I managed to only get internet connectivity in the foyer. Not a suitable solution to be honest. The front desk advised me that the wi-fi should be fixed by the morning. I didn't really have confidence in this, but had no choice.

Surprisingly wi-fi was working in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Simona F, sales & marketing executive at Politeama Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear O_Z_ Travel
thanks for writing about our Hotel. We are glad to learn that you found courtesy and efficiency in our staff; we apologyze anyway for the inconvenience you meet about the conditioning system but during your stay the system was in maintenance.
Next time you come and stay with us, you don't meet any problem in air conditioning system.
Best Regards
Simona Formica - Hotel Politeama - Palermo

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed at this hotel for two nights on arrival in Sicily. The location is great, v central, staff are helpful and friendly, breakfast is good. My room was fine though bathroom was small and no air con after midnight. However, I was glad I was only staying 2 nights before moving on. My main negative about the hotel is the noise from the square! I had a room on the 9th floor overlooking the square and I reckon the only reason I got any sleep was the fact that I was exhausted after my flight from Dublin and bus journey from Catania.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank MOD_10
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed here for one night at the end of a touring holiday and after several nondescript 3 star hotels this 4 star establishment was a big let down. Its location is superb adjacent to the Politeama theatre, it has 2 lifts, free wi-fi and a walk of about a mile to the centre of the town at Quatro Conti. There is a Carrefour supermarket about 100 yards away on the Via Della Liberte

Our room No 304 had a super view facing the square. The road outside is a bus route and is busy with all the associated traffic noise. The room was big with a fridge, small armchair, table, desk and an over the bath shower. Yet again for May in Italy the A/C was switched off which made the room hot and stuffy. It was very dated and the brown fittings and small window made it worse, even dingy. The rooms are desperately in need of renovation and brightening up.

Leaving the window open to keep the place cool led to insect bites and a lot of traffic noise as Palermo wakes up before 6am. Breakfast consisted of sliced Ham, Cheese & Salami, HB eggs, Yogurt, fruit pieces, cereal, juices, cake, tea & coffee. No hot dish was available. It was in fact what passes for a bog standard continental breakfast Europe wide.

In general all we ask of hotels are, is there somewhere to wash, is there somewhere to sleep and is it clean. The answer to all is yes but with a little bit of effort it could have been so much better. This was easily the poorest accomodation of our whole 8 day trip.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Second time we have stayed at the Politeama and enjoyed both stays. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room we had on the seventh floor was not huge but clean with good views. The breakfast was very good with a wide variety to suit all tastes. We did not book the hotel but negotiated a cheaper price in the quieter season at Reception. This is a great location for exploring Palermo and only 10 minutes by bus to Palermo Centrale train station. In our experience coming to Palermo for over 10 years, it is best to stay not too close to the station as on a late night return we were nearly mugged.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 18634Michael
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Positive: Great location, helpful and polite stuff, sufficient breakfast
Negative: heterogeneous rooms ( small, spacious in same category ) , We changed rooms twice because smelling bad and finally gave us suite room whithout additional charge !
rooms definitely need renovation,furthermore the rooms overlooking the square suffer from street noise

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple