“Not the best in Palermo... but it is ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Mediterraneo

Hotel Mediterraneo
Ranked #42 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
York, Uk
“Not the best in Palermo... but it is ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2009

First I have to say that the service was excellent. I am italian so I don't know if the people at the front desk speak proper English, but I have to say they were kind and helpful in many ways.
I was in Palermo for business (I did not choose this hotel, I was placed there by those who organized the conference) and I had forgotten my work at home. Luckily, I had my USB pen and when I asked the manager if I could use his printer, he said yes and he allowed me to use his pc and his printer without restrictions! (my document was 25 pages long!). The staff was really efficient and always polite (they called a taxi, gave me intructions to find the right stop for the airport shuttle, the housekeeper cleaned the room late in the day because I was working all the morning in my room and he didn't want to bother me!) .
On the other hand I have to say that the furniture of the hotel is out of fashion, it looks really '70s. My room was equipped with the essential; I would have appreciated some pictures/paintings on the wall since they were so... empty: it looked like a cheap hotel room. The bathroom was fairly big, with a big bathtub. Unfortunately I have to say that, although the housekeeper was very kind and polite, sometimes the bathroom floor wasn't properly cleaned. I didn't make a fuss but I imagine that some people might not appreciate it. The room is equipped with air conditioning, which was a great idea since the weather in Palermo is generally hot in Summer. Unfortunately, the wi-fi service isn't free. It's not expensive (2€ for 24h) but it is annoying that they didn't make this service free. And, moreover, the wi-fi doesn't work in all rooms, because the signal doesn't reach some of them. So, I had to check my emails in the lobby.
The breakfast is rich (it's a buffet) but with no frills.
The really good thing about this hotel is its position: it is in the heart of the city, a walking distance (5 minutes, no more) of the Politeama and Teatro Massimo. This means: shops, night life (great night life), restaurants, bus stops (Politeama has a lot of bus stops + shuttle bus stop for the airport). It is also closed to the main street that links all the main momuments of Palermo and if someone likes walking, it is perfect (20 min walking to reach the cathedral; 25' the Palace of the Normands; 10' the Churches of Martorana and Saint Cataldo...). I was in Palermo for business but because my hotel was in the city center I had many occasions to see all the main monuments, since I preferred walking than using a bus or a taxi.
Finally, I would recommend this hotel not for its rooms but for its position and its staff.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Winston-le-chat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Philadelphia Suburbs
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

I came with 5 other nursing students, and my professor. We stayed in the residence side of the hotel, so we had our own kitchen and bathroom. We stayed for a month, and it was perfect for what we needed. I'm sure we could have gotten a better deal, but my professor trusted this hotel. I can see why-- the staff was helpful... maybe not always cheerful, but they got to know us over the month, and they were great. Rosie, the house keeper did a great job cleaning 3x a week. The location was perfect... right in the heart of Palermo!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank sweeetiepie33
MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2008

I would not recommend this hotel. The rooms were small and the showers even smaller. There were at least 150 high school students from Rome staying there. They partied all night! The staff was not friendly. The only thing this hotel has going for it is location. You can walk to almost everything from there.

• Liked — Locaton
  • Disliked — Rooms/noise
  • Stayed March 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank annieg2003

Travellers are raving about these Palermo hotels

Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2006

Kind of 70-ies, uninspired, large, and not terribly clean. Caters to large groups, by the looks of it. In spite of a lot of flags not very proficient in English, but OK. Staff did not seem very interested.
We were stuck in Palermo close to midnight with a failed booking at another hotel, so we were happy to get a room, but we wouldn't stay there again. There are nicer hotels that are cheaper as well.

2 Thank Coffeecat
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2005

We stayed here for 6 nights in late March 2005 and it was not a happy experience. On the positive side the room was clean. On the negative side, the room was very unappealing - bare with metal furnishings of the sort you'd expect to find in a hospital. We had paid for a triple room which was in fact a twin with a camp bed, just about ok for our son but would have been very uncomfortable for an adult. The advertised air con was, we were informed, only switched on in the summer, luckily it wasn't very warm. The hotel is off a very busy road and the traffic (and people) noise was constant - not helped by having to have the windows wide open all the time. The breakfast was just about edible, in an austere dining room with stained tablecloths. The staff were diffident at best. To cap it all, on day four the hot water packed up and was still not working when we left. The staff took little interest in this and there was no evidence of anything being done to repair it. We had to fight for a reduction in our bill when we left and a small reduction was given with very bad grace.
I cannot imagine how this hotel got a 3 star rating. Steer clear.

• Stayed March 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2003

We were staing in this hotel for 4 night in september 2002. The hotel is situated in a quite area close to city center. in a walking range to most of the city attraction. The room was large, airy and quite. the breakfast was enough and the staff very helpull.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member