First I have to say that the service was excellent. I am italian so I don't know if the people at the front desk speak proper English, but I have to say they were kind and helpful in many ways.
I was in Palermo for business (I did not choose this hotel, I was placed there by those who organized the conference) and I had forgotten my work at home. Luckily, I had my USB pen and when I asked the manager if I could use his printer, he said yes and he allowed me to use his pc and his printer without restrictions! (my document was 25 pages long!). The staff was really efficient and always polite (they called a taxi, gave me intructions to find the right stop for the airport shuttle, the housekeeper cleaned the room late in the day because I was working all the morning in my room and he didn't want to bother me!) .
On the other hand I have to say that the furniture of the hotel is out of fashion, it looks really '70s. My room was equipped with the essential; I would have appreciated some pictures/paintings on the wall since they were so... empty: it looked like a cheap hotel room. The bathroom was fairly big, with a big bathtub. Unfortunately I have to say that, although the housekeeper was very kind and polite, sometimes the bathroom floor wasn't properly cleaned. I didn't make a fuss but I imagine that some people might not appreciate it. The room is equipped with air conditioning, which was a great idea since the weather in Palermo is generally hot in Summer. Unfortunately, the wi-fi service isn't free. It's not expensive (2€ for 24h) but it is annoying that they didn't make this service free. And, moreover, the wi-fi doesn't work in all rooms, because the signal doesn't reach some of them. So, I had to check my emails in the lobby.
The breakfast is rich (it's a buffet) but with no frills.
The really good thing about this hotel is its position: it is in the heart of the city, a walking distance (5 minutes, no more) of the Politeama and Teatro Massimo. This means: shops, night life (great night life), restaurants, bus stops (Politeama has a lot of bus stops + shuttle bus stop for the airport). It is also closed to the main street that links all the main momuments of Palermo and if someone likes walking, it is perfect (20 min walking to reach the cathedral; 25' the Palace of the Normands; 10' the Churches of Martorana and Saint Cataldo...). I was in Palermo for business but because my hotel was in the city center I had many occasions to see all the main monuments, since I preferred walking than using a bus or a taxi.
Finally, I would recommend this hotel not for its rooms but for its position and its staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Mediterraneo faces two very quiet streets and in spite of being at the center of Palermo, it is not reached by noises of the traffic. The entrance is in Via Rosolino Pilo, a side street of Via Ruggero Settimo, the most elegant street of the city. The Hotel is located between Teatro Massimo and Teatro Politeama, both prestigious European theaters. The hotel is located nearby the main shopping streets and the terminal bus to the airport. Hotel Mediterraneo enjoys a central position, allowing you to easily reach the main touristic attractions of Palermo. The area is full of restaurants, bars and shops. The hotel offers 104 rooms, all with private bathroom, and a residence with 20 apartments. Hotel Mediterraneo offers also 3 large meeting rooms and a 24h private car parking(available until all the space is taken, not bookable).. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, ACCOR, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Mediterraneo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Albergo Mediterraneo Palermo
- Albergo Mediterraneo Hotel Palermo
- Hotel Mediterraneo Palermo, Sicily