“This is not a 4 star hotel!!!!!”

Mercure Palermo Centro
Ranked #15 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
GreenLeadersGold level
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“This is not a 4 star hotel!!!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

This should be a very very average 3 star hotel. The hotel is in a good location but thats about it.
Staff cant be bothered and are quite rude, they have no problems talking about you when they think you dont understand!!!!, The hotel and especially the rooms are very tatty, bits of concrete are missing from the balconies, everything which needs to be attached to a wall is at a jaunty angle - especially in the bathrooms. The air con doesnt work, I reported this twice, the first time I was told they dont allow it to be turned on till 7pm!!! the second time I was ignored, it didnt work once over 3 days!. There were footprints all over the bedroom wall - I didnt bother to ask why! and no tea or coffee in the rooms, even a Travelodge or a B and B has that!
The rooms and public areas are not cleaned to even an average standard and the bar in the hotel is actually the corridor to get from reception to the 2 very old, small and groaning lifts.

Breakfast is OK ish, avoid the coffee, got to be the worst I have ever tasted. If you like toast and cake then this is the breakfast for you. No hot food available but there is a plate of cheese and meats (god help the veggies as they are all on the same plate) all hot drinks are from a machine - nothing is fresh. There is no service and everthing is a bit of a scrap to get the last of something, as it may not be replaced.

All in all i would avoid this hotel and would only stay again if there really was no other choice. Not an enjoyable or relaxing place.

Room Tip: avoid if at all possible, if you have to stay get a high room or will get no peace from the traffic.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rutituti
andsta75, Direttore at Mercure Palermo Centro, responded to this review, 4 February 2012
Dear Guest,
I'm very sorry for your review. I waited a few days before reply to you....I tried to understand what happened because it was a surprise for us. It's not our style discuss with the guests, but I would like to clarify some points with you:
air conditioning is not working in February....I think it's normal....
no coffee and the machine in the room....I don't think all the 4 star hotel in the world have this service included in the room rate...
the bar is only a corridor...from Palermo arrives a lot of external people to have an appetizer in our bar every day....
no warm food during the breakfast...omelette, bacon...

Anyway, I'm sure that something went no so good during your stay, but we are here to solve all your problems...unfortunatelly we can't change the aspect of the hotel and the atmosphere if you were searching for something different...and probably you was looking for another kind of hotel.
I understand your position and I'll do my better to guarantee everyday the best service and to solve all the inconvenients, that may happen to our guests, hoping to welcoming them again in the next future.

With my Best Regards
Andrea Stancato

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Barcelona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

The hotel is well located, very clean and excellent staff service.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
andsta75, Direttore at Mercure Palermo Centro, responded to this review, 31 January 2012
Dear Madame,
thanks for your time and for your attention following your stay at our hotel.
We are very grateful for this and we are very happy to welcome you another time in our Hotel
Chelmsford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2011

Located in a quiet side street, just 5 mins walk away from Teatro Politeama where the airport bus stops and an ideal location for exploring the old quarters of the city, with a number of restaurants close by. Room was modern and comfortably furnished. The only negative was that it was very busy at breakfast and there were simply not enough staff to clear the tables and replenish the food (which was excellent) but with some items disappearing and never being replaced. Otherwise at 80Euros a night - a bargain!

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor - ours was on the side street and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TATraveller
andsta75, Direttore at Mercure Palermo Centro, responded to this review, 13 December 2011
Dear Madame,
Thank you for taking the time to inform us about your experience in our hotel.
We are really grateful for your kind words of appreciation.

We are sorry if something at the breakfast time wasn’t as you wish. The hotel is almost always fully booked and may happen that during the breakfast you have to wait some minutes more than normal above all if the guests arrive all togheter.

We would have the opportunity to regain your confidence upon your next stay. We have a lot of promotional rate during Christmas time.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at our Hotel.
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2011

Great hotel, excellent location, especially if you are a walker. There are several restaurants close by that are good and reasonable. The hotel itself is well equipped and a pleasant surprise for Sicily. We were on a tour with Go Ahead Tours, so I don't know what we paid, but I think the 4-star rating is accurate. If I were going back, this would be on my list of hotels to revisit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
andsta75, Direttore at Mercure Palermo Centro, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Hallo Mrs Daisy!!!
Thank you for your time!!!
Wonderful review!!
It is important for us to receive these words. We'll wait for you again in your next trip in Sicily. It's a long journey from USA, but at your arrival you'll find again "your home".

Thank you again!!

With our
Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

A very decent Accor location and indeed a top notch location downtown Parlermo.
Checkin process is smooth, rooms are very well equipped.
There is that underground private parking for an OK price of 15 EUR/night.
Just this : avoid room 104. Sounds this room on 1st floor is right above a technical romm where, that tuesday morning at 6.00 am, they manage the laundry in and out. A truck gets in that small street and, for quite a long time, a very noisy ballet of loading/unloading of whatever material. You just can't sleep when it happens (hopefully once a week !).

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jukala
Dear Guest,
thank you for your kind reply!!!
We are glad about your positive stay. Unfortunatelly the confusion is a peculiarity of our city: I think that just the details make each city so interesting and beautiful.
The room 104 is one of our superior room. It's big and confortable, but on the 1 first floor, probably, a little noisier than the other in some moments.
If you'll give us the pleasure to welcoming you again in Palermo, we'll give you a room on a top floor to avoid the little problems that you had during the stay.

With our
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

we stayed 1 night at this hotel in Oct 11. we got a huge room on the 7th floor with a big balcony. the room was spotlessly clean, with a sooper comfy bed, TV, internet. the loo was clean and functional.
the staff were very helpful, told us what to see around palermo - they even spoke english.
its located 5mins from the port, hepful of you're taking a ferry/cruise - the hotel is also a 5min walk to the centre. great location, great staff, breakfast was ok.
the bartender was the best - he gave us the biggest drinks, for 5 euros it was a steal.

Room Tip: get a room on floor 7 or 8 - they have huge balconies
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
andsta75, Direttore at Mercure Palermo Centro, responded to this review, 10 November 2011
Dear Guest,
thank you for your time!!
It's wonderful to read your review.
You don't know how much I love to reply to the guest when they were so happy...
I hope everyone may be in according with you now and in the next future and that they can take your advise about us.
I thank you again and I send you my
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I booked this hotel thinking that it was a pleasant 4 star and went for a superior room for 2 adults and 1 child.
On our arrival the staff kept us waiting at reception and kept going in and out of the office we were seen by three receptionists eventualy we were given a key to our room.
I could not believe it when I entered the room it was very small with a double bed and a small camp bed for our child the room was dirty and looked very inviting when you looked at the large bleach stain on the dark carpet, and the filthy wall that our daughter was expected to sleep against.
Immediately I returned to the reception area a member of staff called two house keepers and we all inspected the room, they could see we were not impressed so we were taken to another room which again was not superior but it did have 2 double beds, I settled for this as we had already paid in advance and were told that it was a superior room it was still very dirty but the sheets were clean, and we were all very tired.
The staff new there were 3 of us but no further towels arrived.
The shower door and tray was full of water damage and mould tiles were missing from the walls and dont look behind the curtain.
The heavy net curtains smelt and looked filthy the bed valance had damage the main curtain was off the track.
In the night I was cold so I put on the bed spread that was in a plastic bag in the morning I saw this was also dirty.
The desk had lots of damage to it the air conditioning unit was broken underneath the bathroom and bedroom had very dusty dirty corners with lots of fluff .
We decided to photogragh it which hopefully I can download.
The bar and reception area was dirty take a look behind the newspaper trolley.
We have stayed in many hotels all over the world and this is the first and last time in a mercure hotel I think that the hotels owner needs to visit
A terrible experience ,We paid a 4 star price for this awful acommodation.
Thank goodness I only booked one night.
So beware this hotel needs to be totaly refurbished to a 4 star standard and a good manager placed in charge to make sure that a standard of cleanliness is maintained.
Maybe this is the standard that is at the Mercure or maybe its just Palermo with the problem but we shall never go to a Mercure hotel again thats for sure.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank colesyboy
andsta75, Direttore at Mercure Palermo Centro, responded to this review, 1 November 2011
Dear Guest,

please help me to understand your bad experience. May you send me the photos and write me exactly what happened? Please, help me.