“Decent hotel with GREAT staff!”

Mercure Palermo Centro
Ranked #13 of 98 Hotels in Palermo
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“Decent hotel with GREAT staff!”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in May 2014 with a group and everyone enjoyed their experience at the hotel. Pleasant enough, nothing too fancy. Great buffet breakfast, clean rooms (actually some were very spacious) and again, great staff.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dinotto215

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights in mid-May as part of a tour group and was traveling as a single person. They placed me in a very small room with no air conditioning. (The window opened onto a back stairwell which would have allowed anyone to easily climb into my room while I was sleeping, so I was unable to leave it open.) A complaint to the front desk resulted in a maintenance person arriving and stating that he fixed the problem and to wait half an hour. I did so, even though it was obvious the AC was not working. To make a long story short, they brought me a fan, which I used for both nights. They did not offer me another room. I would not return here and advise others to consider other properties, esp. if you are a single traveler.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank freude1joy
Moville, Ireland
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My girlfriend and I went on our holiday to Palermo last August and week initially impressed with the Mercure Hotel. The room was large and clean (5th floor I think) as was the bathroom. The sheets/towels etc were changed regularly and the continental cold/warm breakfast was of a superior quality.

Our room however, was very warm and the air conditioner seemed to make little difference. There was scaffolding outside the window which did not bother us too much however it slightly spoiled the view of the city.

We decided to have a late morning in the hotel on our second to last night and the builders began to take the plaster off the outside of the building using a kango drill. The noise was unbearable and there was plaster falling onto the balcony.

We went downstairs to speak to the manager and he was extremely unhelpful, and a bit sleazy. He asked us could we not go out for the day!! Eventually he agreed that the noise was bad and offered us another room. This room was on the first floor, it was much smaller, with a smaller bed, and it had a disgusting smell when the air con was switched on.

Had there been no construction - I would easily have rated this hotel 5/5 but the rudeness of the manager (who took no responsibility for anything) left me rating it a 3/5. I would stay here again but I will ensure there is no construction happening at the time.

Room Tip: 5th floor external room
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ryan M
Readington, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel the first 2 nights of a recent tour of Sicily. The location was perfect and the staff were so pleasant and couldn't do enough for us! The place is decorated towards the modern side but not overwhelmingly so. Housekeeping does a fantastic job - as the hotel and rooms are immaculate. Our room was very spacious - the bathroom appeared to be recently renovated: spacious - modern and immaculate! The bed and pillows were very comfortable and fresh plush towels were provided daily.
The buffet breakfast was perfect - just the perfect balance of traditional breakfast foods and sweets... right down to the fresh cannoli and espresso!! Antonio who tended the lobby bar in the evenings was very accomodating and so very nice!!
If we ever make it back to Palermo - we would choose the Mercure Palermo Centro again!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lauradids
San Francisco, Ca
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Stayed here with a tour group. The room was small, but clean and modern and the bathroom well appointed (nice sized shower, and they changed all linens daily). Less good: the bed is hard and low, and internet service is available only in the lobby (which is a pain, as is the requirement that you re-enter the full case sensitive password each time you log on.) The breakfast offerings are ample and cover a broad range. Only other con was they failed to give me and a friend in another room the wake up calls we asked for, but could have been a miscommunication (or not). Oh, and the hotel is well located near restaurants, shops, etc., on a relatively quiet street. And taking a bus from the airport was simple and cheap (dropping us off at the big square only 5 minutes away.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Freebird2007
virginia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

When traveling internet is very important for me to stay in touch with my children. There internet was not working in rooms like we were told it would. Also, the rooms are very basic an d very hot an stuffy. Was not impressed and would not return. Beds are not comfy either. Look elsewhere in this big city.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple