Hotel Europa Palermo
  • Room Service
  • Room Service
Casa Riccio(Palermo)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmin walkfree breakfastspoke good englishthe airport bus stopthe wi fiwould stay here againthe hotel staffbreakfast roompoliteama
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2011

This hotel does not lift your mood as it has nothing exciting. It may even depress you if you stay longer than a few days. But the rooms are clean and spacious, and the hotel is a convenient location in regards of shops and public transport, including the airport bus. The bus stop for the airport bus is a a max 5-minute walk away.

But so much noise! Although the street is off the main street, there is still a lot of traffic noise audibe in the room.
The sound of trucks seemed to be continuously, during the day drowned out by the sounds of other traffic. There seems to be no double glazing, so even with closed windows you cannot avoid the sound of traffic
And if they read my email and honored my request, I should be in a quiet room! But then again, the ashtray in the room suggests this is not a non smoking room, my other request.

Besides the traffic noise the walls are so thin, that you can hear the television of the neighbors very clearly.
A lobby/lounge on every floor invite people to get together and talk, even after midnight or early in the morning (6.am people started).
In short, the only way to get some sleep was by using using earplugs.

Bathroom looked like it had been renovated recently, but the room looked very worn.
The mattress was quite uncomfortable, very hard.
No double mattresses, just single mattresses pushed together.

It has a safe and little fridge in the room. No coffee and tea facilities. Rooms have carpet or tiled floors.

Free wifi in the room, and excellent reception (although one of my friends in other room, complained that he only had reception next to the window.)

Reception was sometimes helpful, but first impression was not very friendly: I sent an e-mail that I would be arriving early, if I could not check in, I would leave my luggage and return later. I received a very nice email, that they would try to find my a room to check in if possible. When I arrived the receptionist looked at me as if I was crazy when I asked him if I could check in. “Check in in the afternoon!”
Yes I know, but I sent an email…..

In short: if you are on a budget this may be a reasonable choice.
But if you want less noise, try neigbourhoods such as the Kalsa. The small streets discourage heavy traffic (although I wonder if you can find any quiet area in Palermo....).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 October 2011

The rooms were a little dated in their decor but quite reasonable in size for a European hotel. They were however very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was average for a European Hotel with the usual cereals and pastries. The rates were very reasonable and all things told I would probably stay here again if visiting Palermo. The staff were friendly and helpful, especially the night clerk who never complained when we regualrly returned at 1-2am and had to disturb hin to open the door for us. Thanks

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Good location on one of the central streets. Easy access to bus services and shops. Hotel room was spacious and clean, the breakfast was OK. Hotel staff very friendly and helpful. Paid Internet access.

The internet did not work very well. There is a computer at the ground floor which can be used for 2 or 3 Euros/hour.

Room Tip: our 4th floor room was OK. If you want some peace and quite you have to close the windows tough.
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The hotel is nicely located in the vicinity of the main tourist attactions. It's clean and the staff is helpful. You can use free wifi just ask the receptionist for the password.

Reviewed 17 September 2011

We stayed in Hotel Europa, Palermo, sicily for 2 weeks beginning of September. It is central and easy transport to and from Palermo airport by frequent, air-conditioned coaches for which the bus stop was just around the corner. The staff were helpful. It was very hot weather and so we were glad of the excellent air conditioning which was not only efficient but quiet. We had no idea how hot it was outside as we stepped out of the hotel into a sauna! The other thing was the spotless cleanliness. Our room was cleaned to a very high spec every day with plenty of clean towels. A bidet in the bathroom gets my vote too. The blinds kept out light and noise but I suggest you ask for a room at the back of hotel as I suspect noise of traffic at front would be high as "it is the most important street in Palermo". It had 2 lifts and we had a very large room with a massive double bed, plenty of storage space and a nice touch of a safe and a small fridge. No tea-making facilities so take your kettle if you like a cuppa. Breakfast was basic with lots of cake but adequate and the hotel as a whole was very good value.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will be quiter