“Pros and cons”

Ranked #65 of 101 Hotels in Palermo
Adelaide, Australia
“Pros and cons”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Pros Location was great and we ate quite a few meals in the surrounding alleys. Room was in good condition with good bed and shower although the bathroom was a bit crowded with the circular towel holder. Free wifi worked well and we had no trouble logging in with the password we were given.The woman was on her own while we were there and we found her very helpful with maps and info using pigeon English and Italian.
Cons. Was amazingly noisy, the noisiest by far we have ever encountered and we`ve had some noisy ones. We were there at Easter so probably couldn`t be there at a worse time. The shouting hooting and general noise didn`t quiet down till about 4 in the morning. If our room had double glazing it wasn`t working! Wished I`d asked for a room at the back although the view from the room was nice during the day.
Breakfast wasn`t offered I assume because the woman was on her own.
It was great value but I wouldn`t stay there again because of the noise.Wish I could sleep with earplugs.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hugo64

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Sydney
Reviewed 15 September 2010

I stayed here for 2 nights 4-5 August 2010 in room 105 (2 twin beds) at EUR45 per night (room only/single) booked on Booking.com.

This B&B was a fantastic surprise. For EUR45 a night (I think that was a last minute special rate as I booked 3 days before arriving in Palermo), I got location opposite Teatro Massimo, a great room with double balcony doors overlooking the famous Via Maqueda (main shopping street) and Teatro Massimo. I was thrilled. Last year I visited Palermo and stayed at Hotel Elite for EUR65 a night incl b/fast which is only about 500m from Verdi and it was very old and depressing. I hoped I would find something better for 2010 and I did!!

The only down side is that YOU ARE ON VIA MAQUEDA ... noise noise noise 24/7. If you can sleep with cars racing up and down the street, you will love this B&B. If you are light sleeper do not even go there.

The B&B is well signposted, the marble entry is very clean and neat. There is a lovely modern Reception area.

Bathroom is well renovated, great shower and water pressure. Hairdryer was one of those next to useless wall mounted ones with vacuum cleaner hose pipe. Bring your own if you need it.

The bed was very comfy albeit a single bed - I just pushed the two singles together so I could stretch out a bit more. It was extremely clean! Shower gel, soap, etc provided.

Yes, I would DEFINITELY stay again. I live on a 6 lane street in Sydney so I am used to city noise. The Owners were very hospitable and did their utmost to help me albeit they spoke next to no English - the first room they offered me was at the back of the building with a window that faced a wall and I could not cope with that - I need light and air - so they moved me to street facing room. I was happy. They were quite happy for me to leave my luggage at Reception on my last day so I could enjoy the morning in before departing.

There is also a bathroom with shower at Reception if you wish to shower and change on departure.

Overall exception value for a really nice place.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank YasmineinSydney
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2010

We stayed in a double room, clean and comfortable with a balcony overlooking the main road. Staff dont speak English but are very friendly, seek information from tourist info box round the corner. 10min walk to bus station for airport and Mondello beach.

Would recommend, great value for money.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Me121212
sydney australia
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed at Hotel Verdi for 5 nights in June 2010. My room was very comfortable, modest sized and spotlessly clean. The husband and wife who own/run the hotel are very helpful, kind, enthausiatic and professional. I received directions, help/information on using transport, excellent restaurant suggestions, etc.

I agree with other reviewers, the breaky was ordinary but included fruit, was fresh and had good coffee. The main street below is major and a heavily trafficed one; request a room at the back which was totally quiet.

This is a two star hotel with excellent prices (40 euro a single with breaky, airconditioning and TV) and excellent service!

Marrickvillellinda
Sydney Australia

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank marrickvillellinda
Malta
Reviewed 18 March 2010

We travelled to Palermo in Spetember, landing at Palermo airport at about 2300pm (late at night)...we took the bus to Palermo city for our hotel (Albergo Verdi)...at first we were a bit afraid that we would find noone in the streets but as we arrived it was FULL of locals and tourists (Friday night) & we took a deep breath and walked from Politeama to our hotel in VIA MAQUEDA (5mins walk)...its very close to TEATRO MASSIMO & QUATTRO CANTI and public transport pass from this street also...so well located...since its a 2* hotel its not very expensive (ideal for a budget holiday as ours)...its true that the street were the hotel is located is very noisy with cars driving almost all the time BUT this hotel is equipped with a SOUND PROOF window system...DONT FORGET TO CLOSE THE WINDOWS AT NIGHT...you wont hear a thing ;)...if you are expecting a mega breakfast with pane al prociutto (ham sandwiches) etc...unfortunately you will only find the sweet pastry things filled with jam & the mini cans of nutella/jam & orange juice & water...you will also have some bridgerolls and butter...its good for the first & second morning BUT (in my opinion) gets a bit boring having the same thing everyday - I used to eat the bridgeroll with butter & thats it...later we would go to MC Donalds which is at Politeama...mmm :P ...YES feel free and at rest when booking with this hotel cause its WORTH IT and WELL LOCATED...rooms are quite small but they are only used to sleep in & use the bathroom right?...if you have any questions pls do ask...Ohhh btw this hotel comes with internet facility also (for FREE) - they only have ONE computer which is the reception computer...ask the gentleman of the hotel to use it & NOT THE LADY because the first time we asked the lady she showed us where we can find a local internet provider bar in the vicinity outside the hotel....hope you will enjoy your stay at Palermo...do use buses to travel outside Palermo (Agrigento etc...)...ENJOY :)

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank chatter28
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 25 March 2008

This hotel is in a very central location (very near the Teatro Massimo), and the rooms were comfortable and clean. My group only had a one-night stay, and the staff was extremely accommodating about arranging for both our early-morning checkout and a taxi to the airport. (We did have an Italian speaker with us, which made things easier.)

However, two things anyone staying here should know: The hotel is up two LONG flights of stairs, and there is no elevator. We had a lot of luggage with us, and it was a haul. Also, the rooms are not soundproofed and Via Maqueda is an incredibly noisy street. I'm from New York, so I'm used to sleeping through noise, but this was extreme. Honking cars, barking dogs (there are a lot of strays in the area for some reason), and rowdy drinkers went most of the night.

So, it's a real bargain in a convenient and safe location, but there are some trade offs.

Stayed March 2008