“Spicy Sicilian Marketplace Adventure”
Review of B&B alla Vucciria

B&B alla Vucciria
Ranked #133 of 483 Palermo B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 December 2012

B&B Alla Vucciria was a welcome refuge after arriving late into Palermo and without my luggage! Claudio, met me at the cab and walked me the half block to his door. Don't expect marble and pillars as you walk the 3 or 4 flights to his B&B. Do expect large, clean rooms, well decorated rooms; each it's own unique personality.

He took the time to give us a little history of Sicily as well as Palermo. He takes great pride in sharing his Sicilian culture and gave recommendations that really made our trip stimulating and fun! His breakfasts were yummy with warm croissants, wonderful fruits in season and some tasty surprises. You share your table with his other visitors and it truly feels like family.

The Vucciria marketplace is an adventure in Sicilian living that stays true to it's roots. Don't expect fancy kiosks, perfectly arranged products or merchants trying to charm you with their service and style. Do expect fresh foood with the very best of flavour, interesting shopping, but most of all a trip to 'another world'. Expect children running, scooters roaring (helmets are rarely worn), locals debating and the community living the 'dolce vita'. Don't be afraid to sit at one of the low key resturants with their plastic patio chairs (that do take siesta breaks) ... your taste buds will forever be grateful. What the marketplace lacks in lustre, it dishes up in cultural flare.

Although I had planned four days at Alla Vucciria, we ended up staying six. Claudio's caring, thoughtful charm made him the best host I had the pleasure to stay with in the 2 1/2 months I traveled.

Room Tip: Vucciria is a Sicilian community; people live their lives at all hours so do bring earplugs.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Our stay at Claudio's B and B was wonderful. The room was clean and large with 2 windows and the bed was comfortable. The location was ideal for walking about the old town of Palermo. The highlight of our stay was Claudio himself. He was caring and thoughtful. He carried our suitcases up the several flights of stairs, oriented us to the city, and gave us consistently excellent suggestions for restaurants. He also shopped for breakfast at numerous specialty vendors to ensure that everything was fresh and delicious, from the ricotta to the persimmons to the sausage to the tomatoes to the fresh warm bread. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmf334
Reviewed 22 October 2012

We stayed in the Bed & Breakfast alla Vucciria for four nights. It was a great and memorable time for us thanks to Claudio, the host of this B&B. He is extremely friendly and helpful. He also has a lot of very interesting stories about Palermo (and Sicily) and its history to tell. We really liked chatting with him every day. The location of the B&B is very central and perfect for
exploring the city. We always felt safe in this area although the streets are narrow and might look a bit dark at first sight. The room we stayed in (the "Peach" room) is big, cozy and very clean. The breakfast served by Claudio was rich and delicious. When we have the chance to come back to Palermo, we would definitely stay again in this charming B&B! We would highly recommend everyone to stay there!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank heinzonautikus
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I stayed 3 nights with Claudio at his home. He made me feel extremely welcome and it was a pleasure to hear stories about the history of Palermo and his life in Sicily. He is extremely knowledgeable, thoughtful and charming. His house is clean, with all modern conveniences. It is in a very central place in the middle of Palermo. Granted, Vucciria is not a 'fancy' area - many houses are neglected and derelict, the streets are dirty but that is the identity of the area. It can be a little hard to find, but that is the same for anything you want to find in Palermo - the streets are small, signposts are few and if you don't speak Italian it might take you a while to get your bearings. It looks like a dodgy area - but all Vucciria is like that. It is safe however. Bear in mind this is a B&B in someone's home, not a hotel. There is no 'lobby' as the previous reviewer stated - Claudio's house is in an apartment block.
For travellers planning a trip here - try to learn plenty of Italian, make sure to be courteous but firm with people in restaurants and shops. Always ask for the price if it is not clear- before you buy. Palermo people can be peculiar! I am a foodie and I found the best restaurants are away from the centro historico and tourist areas. 10-15 mins walk will give you plenty of choice of good family restaurants with better food and prices. Tripadvisor (esp the Italian version) will give you plenty of ideas. Personally I found the service and quality of food around Vucciria to be poor. That is typical in a tourist mecca though - Rome is the same.
To conclude - I will stay with Claudio again when I am in town. Its not for everyone (this is a B&B - not 5*Ritz) and recommend him to my friends.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Donaldinho035
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Was there in september. Lobby was dirty, building and surroundings really shaggy, but place was fine. We had a really bad experience with the owner. We travelled a lot and all over the world. It is the first time that we had such a bad experience. The man was rude, did not like at first when we said his place was hard to find.
Denied that it lacks indications, and started complaining about traveller who wrote revues that were not up to his expectations on the web. Later on, when we asked him about the hot water, asked us to leave, pretending we did not show him respect. The man has obviously problems with questions and is easily upset when feeling criticized.
we absolutely do no recommend that place

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alainpilon
cutronaconsulting, Proprietario at B&B alla Vucciria, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

For me as well it wasn’t a nice experience. To clarify, some houses nearby are in way of construction – like the stairs of my house, which are unique and beautiful with their wooden pillars – other houses haven’t been renovated yet. Anybody who comes here knows to find a beautiful, but only semi-renovated, historical centre. Concerning my hospitality, I trust in the opinions of all the guests who have written reviews of my B&B so far. The B&B is situated in my house, so I expect everybody to ring the bell shortly, to say hello at the entrance door, and to address oneselve to me in a kind way. I don’t think to ask too much. It’s a pleasure for me to receive guests and it should continue to be so. Thanks for your comment.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

First, nice room, quietest night and amoung best bed in similar B&B's in Italy, but be ready for a bit of a mess in neighborhood. Trouble finding it, small dark street with construction scaffolds (quiet from 6pm to 7 am thankfully) no street signs (take 2nd little street in piazza off of Via Roma, not the first which is the market street.) Lobby dirty ( I know lobby not his, B&B is 4th floor only) lots of stairs. Really good breakfast

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mark E
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Claudio is the perfect host, if you want to experience what it would be like to live in the real Palermo this is the place for you. The location is perfect for exploring this wonderful city, and Claudio goes out of his way to make you feel welcome and goes beyond what would be expected of a regular host.The breakfast is amazing, produce bought fresh from the market that morning.
I would highly recommend staying here.
Thanks Claudio.