We enjoyed a delightful three days at this excellent hotel on the ocean in the fascinating old town part of Siracusa, which is easily explored on foot from the hotel. The first room we were shown was a bit small (the hotel is in a historic building ), so we upgraded to a junior suite and got a wonderful one, albeit more expensive. Decor is whimsical but very attractive,contemporary and authentic, quite a unique atmosphere. An excellent breakfast in the pleasant dining room along the narrow old street on the town side is included in the rate. We must particularly mention the staff. They were gracious and helpful from the start, but proved extraordinary when we accidently left behind a precious personal item, a new Kindle DX eReader. The hotel arranged for a courier to drive to our next destination some sixty km away to return it to us. At first they thought there would be a charge of about 50 E but in the end did not charge us and simply suggested that a tip would be welcomed. (We tipped the driver the 50 euros). Siracusa has quite a few nice hotels and the Ortigia is working hard to keep its clientele. Go there-- you will enjoy it and be well treated!
Notes: the AC had a quirk, which was that it turns off if you open a window. Not knowing this we suffered through one rather warm night, though not really hot, before learning how easily the problem was remedied the next morning. Management might consider letting clients know how the AC works in advance.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel is located in an exquisite ancient building on the waterfront of Ortigia, the historic centre of Syracuse. Giving onto the ancient "Mastra Rua," where the Siracusan nobility resided from the 14th century, the hotel is a starting point for cultural itineraries. Its recent restoration maintains the original structure made of three buildings, contributing to its dynamic layout. Rooms are furnished differently with antique furniture, four-poster beds and refined interior decoration with distinctive Sicilian touches and Mediterranean features such as colorful bathrooms tiles. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Odigeo, ACCOR, Ebookers, Hotel.de and HRS so you can book your Algila Ortigia Charme Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Algila Ortigia Charme Syracuse
- Hotel Algila Ortigia Charme
- Algila Ortigia Charme Hotel Sicily/Syracuse, Italy