“cous cous”

Cuisines: Italian, Tunisian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The family that own the business is lovely, their food is great!!! Is hard to chose the dish but I always suggest their cous cous! You have also to taste their Don Camillo cake with chocolate and pistacchio!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I have read other the other reviews and whilst I can understand that the service may have too much character for some people, the food we had was spectacular and leaves me thinking that most people who write reviews don't have a clue about good food! (Sorry but it must be true)!

Service is possibly brash, and not outwardly friendly but under the thin surface it is. The daughter is having dry jokes with her mother and he rest of the customers which is probably lost in translation.

We had two pasta courses. Penne with lobster and tomato and spaghetti with seafood. Simply put the lobster was excellent and the spaghetti with seafood was probable the best pasta dish I have or rather we have both ever had. To perhaps help qualify this my wife is Maltese and pasta is as big in the Maltese diet as in the Italian. The quality of ingredients was second to none, clams the size of a palm, basil and tomatoes as full of taste as you could imagine.

The wine was cheap, instead if going all out we had the local white which was perfect. It is not full of character, just easy to drink and very light... Perfect for lunch and for 5 euros for 1 ltr it was great.

We ended up with limoncello sorbet. I urge others to try this. It is basically like sorbet mouse as it has egg whites whipped in to make it quite an extraordinary and brilliant desert.

Price was great as well. The only disappointing thing is that we are leaving in the morning so can't go again!

1  Thank ajd01
Reviewed 28 December 2013

We had lunch here, it was very busy and seemed full of regular customers. They provided us with a menu in both Italian and English which was very useful. I chose a smoked fish starter, salmon, swordfish and tuna which was a generous portion of top quality fish in a wonderful dressing. I then had pasta alla Norma as a main course which was huge, enough for 2 people. There was no wine list so we chose to have house white which came in a carafe and was fine. Overall the food here is great, and great value and the fish and seafood is excellent quality, don't order too much as portions are very big. There was a antipasti buffet spread which looked a bit tired and we didn't like the fact that there was no price written down for this but they would judge the price on what you had, which we know from previous experience at other restaurants in Italy can often mean you get overcharged. As we couldn't eat quite a bit of our food we asked if we could have it packed up and they were fine about it. The service was efficient and the chef was very friendly at the end of service and even gave us complimentary limoncello.

1  Thank Thewanderingwinos
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We booked a table for four on a busy Saturday night and were seated promptly upon our arrival to the restaurant. The serving staff (apparently mother and daughter) seemed to be constantly looking for an opportunity to pick an animated argument with someone.

Our second courses were served almost concurrently to the antipasti. When we complained, we were told by the serving staff that that is how things are done. The chef (presumably Kamel) visited our table to see "what the problem was". We explained that we expected to be given some time to finish our starters before being served with the main courses, to which he replied that "we eat too slowly".

We could note a few other complainants such as a couple who apparently booked for 2200hrs but were not seated before 2345hrs. Pointing at our and other tables, the younger waitress told them that they could not do anything because "some people just wouldn't leave the restaurant".

In a nutshell Trattoria Medusa offers good food (not uncommon in Ortigia), but the service is awful.

Reviewed 10 August 2013

Three friends went to this restaurant in Ortigia last night. The food was very good and not too pricey. However, the staff were not welcoming in the slightest. We were asked repeatedly if we were having anti pasto,,second courses and vegetables on the side - although we were quite clear the first time when we answered "no". There is no wine list and when I asked what wines they had they couldn't tell me, but pointed to a shelf where they were and told me to go and look. The selection was small....the prices high. I had to drag the information on the prices of the wines out of the signora. Luckily I did...otherwise I could have ended up paying 40euro for a bottle of red!