“Ok hotel”

Ranked #22 of 73 Hotels in Syracuse
london
“Ok hotel”
Reviewed 30 August 2014

Located in the Old Town. Parking spaces are limited. Stayed for 3 nights and was disappointed to get a room (basic, but clean) with no balcony, facing the back. Roof terrace - great place to chill and sip free granitas late afternoon. Breakfast is simple cold buffet. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: Request a room facing the sea, preferably with a balcony
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank yvonnecar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 29 August 2014

What can I say about this beautiful hotel!? Great aesthetic and style, super clean, amazing location in the old town great hospitality and lots of free surprises that are not mentioned. I stayed 3 nights at Gutkowski and I just loved it. The stuff are lovely and super friendly making you feel like home. The have a beautiful terrace were they offer free granita every day after 5pm when the sun is not that strong so it's a great reason to relax,enjoy a fresh granita and the view. They also offer a nice library in the living room full of nice books about Sicily and not only.. Moreover they have free bikes and umbrellas for the sea! Overall the experience was great, the room was the classic one and it was super nice and stylish with unique furniture and I would all give 5 stars for the breakfast. I totally recommend Gutkowski and I will definitely visit it again in the future.

Room Tip: We had a classic room and it was great, however if I could turn back time I would choose a room on t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at Hotel Gutkowski! We visited Siracusa with our three year old and found the superior double to have more than enough room for us all. We also requested a sea view which was wonderful to wake up to each morning.

The breakfast was deliciously continental and had a good selection. The staff were extremely helpful and pleasant and the location was perfect.

I would absolutely stay here again should I revisit Siracusa and I would definately recommmend this hotel as a family travelling with a young child.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank NoushyP
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our second visit to Gutkowski and it was every bit as good as we remembered. Clean simple and stylish rooms. Free granitas on the roof terrace in the evenings is a nice touch. Now also has a very good restaurant, we ate their twice and they were the best two meals we had in Ortigia.
Its a 15-30 minute drive to a good sandy beach, but Ortigia is an undiscovered gem, a citadel dating back to the ancient Greeks, with most of the current buildings dating back to the Renaissance. Part restored, part crumbling.
Staff delightful and very helpful. We were bumped from a sea view to a basic room on our first night which was a bit annoying, but they redeemed themselves by offering to take my parking fine payment to the police station for me as I was leaving the next day! ( be warned... 5 minutes in a residents parking bay got me a fine and almost got my hire car towed away...)

Room Tip: Worth the extra for sea view, its stunning, provided your are not too bothered by the road noise...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 186370Andy
Reviewed 2 August 2014

A charming hotel on the seafront in the old town Ortygia, Syracuse. We stayed for just one night in July and had a very pleasant stay. The staff were helpful, friendly and welcoming and gave us some great restaurant tips and recommendations to make the most of our shirt time in the city. Our room was spacious and well appointed, clean and comfortable and very peaceful. Breakfast was delicious, and parking was available just across the street by the seafront.
The hotel offer free granita to guests every evening on the roof terrace overlooking the sea, plus there's a restaurant on site. I would definitely recommend staying here. A great base for exploring the old town and conveniently located in a quiet residential area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view, in the main building as there are two and whilst the second is equal...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hannah0126
Hong Kong
Reviewed 27 July 2014

The hotel is nice in terms of both the outside and the inside. It is just next to the sea, and every morning, I got up seeing the blue sky and the blue sea.

When I checked-in the room, it was a coup d'oeil. Mostly plain white but pleasantly decorated. The breakfast was another highlights. Please pay attention to the plates - you will love it.

However, small downsides were: wifi was rather weak inside the room. And, unluckily, my room was on the lowest level. And the windows opened to the laundry area of the family next door.

Room Tip: It involves a bit of walking to the hotel. Strictly speaking, the hotel is not in Siracusa, it is i...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Orpington Kent
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The Hotel is not easy to find even with a SAT NAV due to the one way roads on Syracuse. Howver once found its easy to relocate as the `island' is not very big.

If you are driving you can either park opposite the hotel (if a space is free) for free or back up the road (one way) for free. The road is the seaview road.

The hotel provides easy access on foot to all parts of the `island' or old town and daily market.
To get to the new part of `mainland' syracuse you may need a bus or taxi if you have not got a car.

The Hotel was comfortable old worldy and the breakfasts very good continental style. The staff were very helpful and welcoming. Some rooms have a great sea view across the road.

My only complaint was about the noise in the street on friday night. Young moped riders up and down the road and some locals singing their way home from whereever.

I would think the hotel is as good as it gets for facilities, ease of parking, location etc. on the `island'.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room and avoid staying at weekends.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple