“A real family experience”

Hotel Principe di Fitalia Wellness & SPa
Ranked #6 of 74 Hotels in Syracuse
“A real family experience”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

There are more pluses than minuses here at the Principe di Fatalia. Being a positive person let's go with the good points. Top of the list is the service. A wonderful friendly, constantly caring staff make every aspect of your stay a pleasure. Check in was hysterical. Apart from Claudia operating two phones simultaneously, not finding my booking (not their fault) and showing me various rooms, we had no problem getting sorted and laughing all the time.

The next day I met Livinia and the hotel owner Isabella, all incredibly friendly and I massively enjoyed my 3 days there. Everyday by the pool the waiter would offer complimentary cold apple juice or ice tea and every evening small canapés would arrive with guests being asked to help themselves. Even after paying the bill, I had a fruit salad and the chef said it was with his compliments. A+ for service and friendliness. The pool is great, big, warm and very clean. The hotel have their own private beach which you get to by their private shuttle bus which is complimentary and as it is a bit outside of Syracuse and Ortigia they offer rides into the town if needed.

Like most things in Sicilia the interior is a bit old fashioned, not too much light, old velvet curtains, out of date furniture which does not invite staying indoors or drinking at the bar. A refit is needed in that department. Isabella, Livinia and I had quite a long discussion about the breakfast which I was assured was meant to cater to the German palate. Don't get me wrong, there is a big choice ranging from the Italian cakes and pastries to eggs, a few cereals and lots of fruit. I just think this could be a lot better. One of my friends commented on the lack of good Italian made coffee like a Macchiato or Cappuccino and that the cups were all wrong and old fashioned. I am nit-picking but I don't want my readers to be under any false illusions. All this can be fixed by any half decent catering and beverage manager.

Best news of all, this team will open a new hotel next June with a Spa and it is being built as I write. I can't wait.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a small terrace
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
hprincipedifitalia09, Direttore at Hotel Principe di Fitalia Wellness & SPa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Mister thank you very much for all the good word about our hotel and staff.
As regards you booking we are very sorry that your travel agency doesn’t show you that the reservation was not confirmed , it was written on SOLD OUT , so we have not your reservation.
When you arrived at about 10 p.m. it’s true Claudia was very worried because she thought that we have not insert the reservation in our planning, .
.As regard our breakfast it’s very appreciate from all people is the first time that we have a complain but for us is very important to improve our work so we will try to do better..

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Loved this hotel. Service is fantastic and they can't do enough to help you. The pool area and gardens were amazing for this size of hotel and the pool was one of the nicest I had swum in for a long while. Got the courtesy bus into Ortigia most evenings which was a lovely town but we found the food in the hotel to be far better than anything we had in town. Highly recommend this place and can't understand why has dropped from number 2 to 51 - think this must be an error!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank YorkshireRoseEngland
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Myself and my partner stayed at PDF 30.4.14 - 7.5.14 and had a absolutely brilliant time - the best holiday we have ever had.
The hotel is a 10 minute drive from Siracusa/Ortigia but there is a free shuttle bus so this is not a problem.
The hotel is small, charming and extremely restful/relaxing - probaly more set up for middle aged couples rather than young families with children ?
The staff (particularly Miriam, Paolo and Lavinia) were uniformly excellent - extremely ftriendly, and helpful
Our room was also lovely - my partner (who is an interior designer) wholly approved...
We didn't dine at the hotel much - preferring to dine in Ortigia (Tavernetta da Piero and Le Vin de l'Assassin particularly recommended) but what we had was very nice albeit relatively pricey.....
The hotel is located in a good position to access Noto, Ragusa, Modica & Caltagirone - its an excellent place to combine sun, culture and fine dining
The pool is absolutely stunning and facilities generally good.
When we booked PDF it was ranked in the top ten for Siracusa - I now see it is
in the fifties which is frankly ludicrous..........
We have a rule never to go back - there is too much of the world to see etc etc...but we are considering breaking it to go back to PDF next year

Room Tip: The rooms on the east side (odd numbers I think - ours was 3) will be much cooler at night in high s...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IAN H
Oford
Reviewed 8 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here at the beginning of April and loved the hotel. The staff was fantastic and the hotel facilities were great (pool, gym, table tennis table and Jacuzzi). Each little room came with a little balcony which we used for afternoon coffees (free all day) and evening drinks.
Unfortunately our fridge was broken, but the staff immediately fixed it and we were given a bottle of wine for our troubles, excellent customer service in my books. Would certainly recommend it.
Location is great if you want peace and quiet. However we found that you definitely need a car if you want to do anything. We managed to only find one bar and one pizzeria but both were a 5 minute drive away, you could walk it but it would take a while.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RogerJohnson123
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Everything was really nice, the room very clean, excellent food, friendly and very helpful staff, and gorgeous countryside setting with free transportation to and from the town of Siracusa/Ortigia and also to a beach. Fantastic place! Lavinia and Lovino are wonderful, they helped me so much with everything I didn't have to worry about anything. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank SuzanneCb
Fribourg, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We spent two nights last June. The hotel is clean, confortable, quiet and full of charme. A shuttle joins it to a beatiful beach with clear waters. The restaurant on the pool has a good choice of high quality food and a valuable wine list. Shortly we enjoied everything in such hotel which we highly reccomend. The service is excellent staff is helpful and aimable. We will return

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ginicc
Reviewed 21 December 2013 via mobile

We first stayed at this hotel in June 2011. As you drive through the gates and see this beautiful hotel the very warm welcome by all the staff awaits.
You feel as if you are visiting relatives in a 'Grand House'. The breakfasts are very good with lots of choice.... Beautiful Marmalades, pastries, cakes, cheeses etc. Evening meals which are typical Sicilian with lots of fresh fish and locally grown vegetables (which you will see in the country side as you travel around the area). The beach is a 10 minute drive away. If you don't have transport the hotel will provide this for you and collect you later in the day. The same applies to any local travel. We were collected one evening at 1am after a wonderful Andrea Bocelli concert in Syracuse.
The pool area and surrounding gardens are a pleasure and so peaceful. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated.
We went back again in October this year and were greeted like family. It was my birthday whilst there and the staff presented me with a lovely cake.... what a nice surprise. Thank you all for another memorable stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Vbriscoe
Also consider these accommodations in or near Syracuse
Grand Hotel Minareto
Antico Hotel Roma 1880
Antico Hotel Roma 1880
#4 of 74 in Syracuse
Baia di Ulisse Wellness & SPA

Been to Hotel Principe di Fitalia Wellness & SPa? Share your experiences!