“LOL = lots of love, laughter and the personal touch, not an ordinary hostel”
Review of LoLHostel Siracusa

LoLHostel Siracusa
Reviewed 4 March 2011

It feels like your family is right here with you and they are taking you under their wing guiding you along. I never expected this in a hostel. Max and the rest of the staff are exceptional. There's so many things I could list such as taking the time to review maps with you noting key points of interest and I don't mean opening a map and scratching a few things, I mean taking the time and explaining well....than there's Stephanie in housekeeping -- not only does she keeps things sparkling but she's a ray of sunshine with her beaming smile each day and friendly nature, my room was spic and span each day and the bed made -- I've never had that in a hostel. Nella and Christian are very helpful as well as Max, if they had a $1 for every question we asked or guidance needed -- they would be rich :) they were always helpful always warm...for me atmosphere is everything and LOL has it -- nine days wasn't enough, next time I would like to stay two-weeks or more, the location is a fantastic base for exploring Syracuse as well as other areas, the train station is very close (buses also) The interior is a perfect blend of modern and rustic with exposed stones. The courtyard is truly lovely with lemon trees, tables and even a grill. I loved it during the day and in the evenings. You will enjoy your stay here.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank j3dnight

Reviewed 27 October 2010

Bed & Breakfast & Lawyer!!! Great place to stay, to cook, to watch TV, to rest and really close to the important places of Siracusa. Design and confort. Massimo, the owner, is a very nice and close person that gives you lots of places and special pubs to go (no typical turistic ones). Sometimes, he offers services as a lawyer... ha ha ha.
We highly recomend LOL Hostel! I really adore this place.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 October 2010

We stayed at the Lol Hostel with a group of 16 students for a university field trip and had a great time there. Cooking alltogether in the fantastic kitchen and the sitting in the courtyard and having dinner. Everything was perfectly clean and nice, staff was very very friendly and also the breakfast was excellent.
I was there last year and it was even better this time.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed 21 July 2010

If you are on a budget or a very short stay then even if you are travelling with someone, this hostel is ideal. Even before I arrived, the owner was very helpful and understanding as I needed to cancel my booking on the day due to exceptional circumstances. When I got there, I was even more surprisingly shocked to find that it had very modern facilities, free use of internet, very clean and beautiful and spacious. The receptionist was extremely helpful about manually locating each point of interest and best places to eat and drink, without asking for it. She spent some time doing it and wondered whether she did it for all the guests. They buy (or even bake them on the premises, not sure) but as you are going downstairs for breakfast this wonderful smell of the freshly made croissants entices you to go down for breakfast. You eat in the beautiful courtyard. Ofcourse, unlike if you have time you have to spend some time in the lounge watching the big flatscreen tv and making something to eat in the modern open kitchen. It is in a great location, 2 minutes from the train and bus station and then walking along the main street and bridge and you are on the island of Orteiga. I would love to go back and stay there again, it is better than some 4 star hotels.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 May 2010

We were so lucky to find this great hostel, very well located, beautiful old building with an amazing decoration, very comfortable but most of all their staff made our trip to Siracusa an unforgetable stay. Grazie Massimo!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 January 2010

We were wearily walking from the train station, looking for a hotel after a long train trip from Naples...and there, glowing on the dark street, was LOL! The staff was very freindly and helpful...great kitchen, beautiful rooms...free wifi..and perfect location if you are traveling by train. We stayed on and on....

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2009

This is Zoia telling you that, from my point of view, it's a must to occupy a room in this hostel. I have to tell you that this is the first time that I write a review which in itself it's an appraisal to the LOL hostel. I and two of my friends (all girls) visited Siracusa for a week at the end of September - beginning of October 2009. And now let's get to facts:

1. The Service: the staff speaks fairly good English. Not only that the rates are the lowest in the area (and trust me, we've looked for a couple of weeks for accommodation that could satisfy our demands in both Siracusa and Taormina), but we were absolutely amazed by the management (Massimo) and the people working there (Salvatore, Nella, Domenico etc.). They were very friendly and eager to help with anything and everything (directions - they also have lots of maps and tourist guides, recipes - Nella is the best, advice on the best hot spots, restaurants etc.). They even rescued us when in great need, when they didn't have to do it, which made me feel not like a hotel customer but like visiting some old friends. And by the way, the renovations are almost complete (they aren't inconvinient to the customers anymore): I'm sure that by winter it will all be finished.

2. The Rooms: very pleasing to the eye (cheerful colors), spacious, secure lockers with their own keys for every occupant of the room, reading light, comfy and clean beds/linens/towels, air conditioning, sun blocking drapes, hot water in the shower. Also, there is a free daily cleaning service.

3. The Location: is perfect: 10 min walking distance from the old centre Ortigia, 50 meters from the train / bus station (no disturbing noises though) and supermarket. There are also a night bar and a coffee shop next door.
There is a lounge where you can access the internet (either by bringing your own laptop, case in which the wireless connection is free or use the hostel's computers - 2 euros/hour) and watch TV. You can also buy cheap drinks (water, wine and beer) from the reception.
The kitchen is supplied with anything that you might need (cutlery, microwave, freezer etc.). There is a space for having one's meals. Breakfast is included and for sure you must try the croissants which are very tasty.

4. I think that the only thing that I disliked was that we had to leave the hostel (we've met great people there) and Siracusa: a lovely city with great views and beaches, lots of things to visit and tasty food (the spaggeti, swordfish, zuppa di cozze, cannoli and tiramisu... yammy). And I almost forgot about the jewllery: just beautiful.
One thing though: try not to rely too much on public transportation: you'd better hire a car.

All in all, the feeling I left the LOL hostel with was that human relations and pleasing the customers mattered more than the banal everyday coin, be that euro, sterling pound or dollar. So be warned: I'll be sure to return! :)

Congratulations to the hostel stuff! You diserve it.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends