“Views to die for and terrific food”
Review of Al Saraceno

Al Saraceno
Ranked #22 of 283 Restaurants in Taormina
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Located up the hill above the town - close to the Hotel Villa Ducale and the Madonna of the Rock church - al Saraceno is well worth the effort to get there. Four of us chose different starters and main courses and each person was delighted with the food - good local ingredients expertly prepared. Prices for food and wine were very reasonable. We chose the terrace for our lunch and shade was provided. From there we could see the whole bay, the town below, hillside villages and Mount Etna.

2  Thank GardenPam
Write a ReviewReviews (1,345)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Food, hosts and views are always amazing up here. Alfio does a good pizza but it must be said the speciality here is definitely fresh seafood. Tasty!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

The main reason for anyone to go this restaurant is tone of the most breathtaking backdrops to your meal that you are ever likely to have - a huge chasm below you, with rising hills and Mount Etna in the background (which, on our visit, obligingly gave off some orange lava clouds against the night sky, rounding off dessert nicely).

But there is much more to it than this. The food, for a start, was superb. My wife and I went for a shared pasta starter, helped by the waitress in our choice. We were not disappointed. It was tasty and not too filling.

For our main meals, I had grouper and my wife breaded scampi. Again, both were cooked perfectly and were delicious.

We broke off to take photographs of each other. The manager obligingly jumped in, unasked, to take one of the two of us together. He and our waitress were pleasant and chatty throughout.

We enjoyed our dessert with the fireworks as above,and then had liqueurs. I had ordered a Remy Martin. The manager came over, apologised profusely for not having any, and instead poured me a glass of Martell from the bottle. The measure was so large that I can't remember too much of the rest of the evening. I do remember that the whole experience was fantastic - a birthday celebration for my wife. At the end of the evening, I was shaking the manager's hand with such vigour that he had to disengage himself. Yes, he and the rest of the staff had helped to make it a memorable experience, and were another reason why it's not just about the spectacular view.

One small point - unless you feel like a pretty stiff uphill walk, you'll need a taxi up and back. At around 15 euros each way, you'll need to factor that in to the evening's cost. Well worth it though.

2  Thank Ian Y
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We ate at Al Saraceno several times during our recent holiday in Taormina and views are beautiful. It is worth booking on busier nights (Fridays & Saturdays) to ensure an outdoor table on the roof terrace - the view over Taormina and the coastline is stunning at night. Very friendly owner who recognised us over the course of the week and found us an outdoor table on our last night when we stupidly didn't book on a Saturday.

Consistently good food and service - not the best pizza we had in Taormina but still very enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Well worth the short taxi ride out of Taormina, this restaurant is perched high on a steep hill with fantastic views across the bay and mount Etna. In the daytime a great place to have lunch and at night you can watch the sun setting and enjoy all the lights down below. The food is simple Sicilian but good and we had great service making my friends birthday a special evening to remember.