“Room with a view, Perfect location, Warm Welcome, Right Price” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
The Dolphin Guest House
Ranked #67 of 88 Hotels in Taormina
australia
“Room with a view, Perfect location, Warm Welcome, Right Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

I have stayed 3 times at this wonderful Guest House.

The first time in the Apartment on the Top floor, with its amazing private terrace overlooking the Mazzaro Bay and the historical buildings of Taormina. The apartment , lovely sunfilled bedroom, has a well equipped kitchen and table and chairs on the terrace. Its gorgeous.

The the other times I stayed on the first floor where there is a large kitchen,large comfy lounge room and several balconies, the main balcony and lounge room having the view. All the rooms are spotlessly clean and well maintained and 3 have there own private bathroom. It was a bonus having the common areas to use, especially the kitchen. I found the Guest House and its surroundings, very quiet and spacious and perfect for me.

The you cannot beat the location with a 5 minute easy walk leading you into the Porta and Via Umberto. There is a local morning market around the corner where you can purchase fresh fruit and vegetables, fish and cheese. On the corner is the bakery.

Its very close to the finicular which takes you down to Isola Bella beach or I use to walk down as there is a a great path way with those amazing views. Also close to bus station.

Antonella the owner is lovely and very helpful with information regarding the area. She is a busy lady as she is involved in many local community activities.

I would not stay anywhere else in Taormina. For great value for money. Highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
      Sleep Quality
3 Thank mandy05

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2009

The Dolphin guest house is located just a few minutes outside the main historical centre where we could find every thing: archeological places to visit, nice shopping, gastronomic speciality from every where in Sicily, very good restaurants recomended from the owner, whom knows the good chefs.
We rented the one bedroom flat on the top floor with a beautifull, huge terrace and breathtaking view over the Mazzaro` bay.
Absolute perfect where to enjoy any meal, sunbath without going to the beach, have a drink under the stars, the terrace is well equiped with table,4 chairs, 2 sundeck chairs and parasol.
Also very handy is the local bakery (100 meter) where we could buy fresh bread a croissant every morning and local fresh food market (200meter) held in the morning mo. to fr.
The owner organized a sicilian cooking lesson for us; very friendly atmosfere, well esplained.
We were not looking for any particolar service, we wanted to have our privacy, enjoy sicilian cuisine, sun and view.

Evelina & Ken

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Belotti
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Yes, there IS an inexpensive place to stay in Taormina and it is 'The Dolphins Guest House'. Located on a quiet side street, this flat has a large living/dining room with a balcony that overlooks a peaceful garden with great views of the ocean. Because I was alone in the home for the evening I did not mind that the bathroom for my single room was down the hall. There were items available in the kitchen to fix a simple breakfast with fresh fruit which I suplimented with food bought at a local alimentari. The hostess did not live on sight, but when I met her she was very friendly and knowledgable. I loved watching the sunrise over the water on the balcony in the morning.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank tiggerfotos
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2008

There are plenty of choices when it comes to accommodations in Taormina - but budget accommodations right in the heart of town are a little harder to come by.

For its price and location, The Dolphin Guest House was perfect. However, my only "complaint" (not a big one, though) was that for the duration of my stay, I didn't see any of the owners (after I was let in to the premises and shown my room), and therefore, couldn't get any information or advice on Taormina, or ask them for recommendations on anything at all.

It was pretty cold at night when I was there (November, low season), and the radiator was not turned on. I couldn't ask anyone for help (extra blankets/heating), since there was not a soul to be seen.

There was no one to ask for fresh towels, and I was the only occupant in the entire house during my stay (which was nice in terms of privacy, I suppose.. but I confess I felt a little creeped out in the entirely too silent apartment).

I couldn't even ask the owners what time was checkout time, and didn't get to arrange to make payment - in fact, I was a little worried whether or not someone would turn up to collect my rent!

But just before I left, the cleaning lady turned up (excellent timing!), and asked me for 50 euros. I was a little tickled, coz if I had been a dishonest guest, I might have done a runner, and left the house earlier, and no one would have been the wiser!

By the way, I just remembered something abt Dolphin Guest House. I stayed in a single room the last time round.. and it was the room facing the alley the front door is located. It is quiet at night, so I had no problems sleeping at all. But I remember one afternoon, I was feeling tired, and decided to head back for a rest - only, I didn't get to nap at all, because 2 housewives next door decided to stand by the alley and started gossiping away! I could hear every word of their loud chatter (I didn't understand a single thing, of course) and at some point, they even started arguing/quarrelling rather ferociously. I guess it was my bad luck - but that whole conversation lasted 2 hours!!! *groan*

So, in a nutshell, the single room facing the alley actually has a little less privacy (and higher noise level) because people pass by all the time, and you get to hear doors open and closing when neighbours enter/leave the building.

Still, despite my above reservations, the location for Dolphin Guest House was very ideal for my stay in Taormina - I have no qualms about staying there again the next time I am in town. I would definitely recommend it to other fellow travellers looking for a short budget stay in an otherwise relatively expensive mountain resort town.

• Liked — Location, price (cheapest I could find in the heart of town!)
  • Disliked — Service (or lack of)
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo