“Beautiful location ; lovely hotel”

Mendolia Beach Hotel
Ranked #46 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 23 May 2012

My sister and I shared a suite at the Mendolia Beach Hotel and returned at the weekend. We are already planning our return trip. What lovely people, from Mario who served breakfast and was a charming man to Angela who cleaned our room. I cannot praise the service enough. The breakfast buffet had so much choice of fresh fruit and beautiful cakes in addition to the usual bread, brioche and croissants. Our suite was really accomodation for a family so we had a huge terrace with wonderful views of Isola Bella. The beds were comfortable and the bed linen clean and crisp and changed regularly. Taormina town is beautiful and there is a broad range of shops. I was able to buy a huge bag of sun dired tomatoes for a fraction of the cost at home. The hotel is only a few minutes away from the funicular to the town but if you are reasonably fit it is worth the walk up as the views are stunning.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Vicky J

Reviewed 12 May 2012

The suite of rooms we had was excellent. The view from the terrace was breathtaking. Breakfast was very good and Mario the waiter was a lovely gentleman with lots of stories to tell. Isolabella is beautiful and the spectacular town of Taormina can be accessed easily by the cable car only a few metres from the hotel. Althouth the location of the hotel is good there are not many great restaurants in the vicinity althouth there are lots in Taormina, but as the last cable car is 8pm you have to return by taxi which can be quite expensive.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank YorkBirdie
Reviewed 21 November 2011

I can't recommend this hotel strongly enough! I spent a week in Sicily, and originally booked another hotel in isola Bella, but was so disappointed that I went searching for an alternative the night that I arrived. Dario, the front desk clerk at the Mendolina, welcomed me, and offered a low-season rate that sealed the deal! My bright and airy room was on the 2nd floor, with a beautifully appointed balcony overlooking the beach. I peeked into a number of the rooms, and you can't go wrong- all offer the splendid views of sunrise and sunset over the water. Breakfast each morning, with several homemade cakes and perfect cappuccinos, made to order by the brilliant Mario, was treat to look forward to each day. I especially loved having free access (lounge chair, towel, umbrella) to the beach club seaside, which is owned by the same family. Lunch there, and dinner across the street at Da Giovannis, was a pleasure. Since staying there, I've read the reviews on TA, and it is true that the morning clerk is a quite grumpy woman. Thankfully Dario, who comes on in the late afternoon, was such a delight to converse with, and extremely generous in helping me plan the rest of my visit, airport transport, etc. He is an invaluable resource, and a wonderful asset to the hotel!
Final note, I wasn't bothered by the traffic noise at all- found my entire stay calm and luxurious.

Room Tip: Higher floors pull you farther away from traffic, and give you views unobstructed by signs, but all...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank Ttravels454
Reviewed 2 September 2011

I really enjoyed my stay at this Hotel. I loved my room which was down the street away from the main part of the hotel but attached to Level 1. It was big and roomy with a decent size balcony. The manager was more than accommodating whilst there and I enjoyed using the WIFI system. But the best accolades must go to Mario, the breakfast butler, who spoke English as well as Italian and knew my preference drink every morning! The food was to die for - beautiful pineapple cheesecake which was hard to refuse together with other appealing pastries. I enjoyed the service given on the beach also with the deck chairs and towels. And I would also like to thank "housekeeping" who cleaned my room every day. I would recommend this Hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank KuiaRee
Reviewed 1 September 2011

What a pleasure to get up and go to bed with one of the best views ever. This friendly family-run 10 rooms small hotel is just opposite the amazing natural bay of Isolabella and minutes from the lift that took us to the main corso in Taormina.
The place offers a b&b service ( with amazing home made cakes every moring ) and has a restaurant down on the beach of the bay. There is pizza as well as fresh sandwiches but if you feel like having a treat try the fish ( sword fish involtini and marinated prawns are simply amazing ! ) served at the restaurant (lunch only).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2011

We stayed 8 days in this hotel,
the good points are:
the beautiful view on isola bella,
proximity with the beach and shops
the hotel is clean
the guys working at the hotel are very helpful and nice (but see bad points....)
the quality of breakfast, the cappuccino!....

now the bad points:
noisy (you need to close the window as there is a lot of traffic just down the hotel and you breathe the gas from the cars and scooters...)
one of the employee, the only woman working at the reception actually, was really unfriendly with us to the point of rudeness, without a reason because we were polite, easy going and relaxed.....apparently we were not the only ones to have a bad experience with her,

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank sebastien p
Reviewed 21 August 2010

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon at this hotel. I am only sorry we did not find out about it until the last four days of our trip. The staff are warm and welcoming, the rooms are spotless, the view of Isolabella is beautiful, and the breakfast is delicious. Beach sun loungers, towels and umbrellas are free when staying at the hotel. The location is good; just a five min walk away from the cable car. I highly reccommend this spot if you are looking for a quiet, romantic, no fuss hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple