“First Class Hotel”
Review of El Jebel Hotel

El Jebel Hotel
Ranked #20 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 26 June 2011

First of all, we had booked the hotel Monte Tauro for our entire 9 day trip. The view was nice there, but not much else. The bed was so hard, cheap and uncomfortable at Monte Tauro that I went searching for a better hotel in a better location - and I found it at El Jebel!

From the professional and courteous tour by Marco and laying on the comfortable bed, I was sold. Marco went out of his way to accomodate my wife and I and should be commended. He even brought us coffee and croussants very early in the morning before our flight. This was the level of service I expected - and was exceeded.

This folks, is a a first class hotel. It was extremely clean, quiet, luxurious and comfortable. The rooms were spacious, modern, and the TV nice and big with two English channels....but more important than anything to me at that point, was that the bed was sooooo comfy.

The location was at the end of the main shopping street and you had to climb up about fifty stairs. So, if you are old and cant climb stairs, then stay away. Otherwise, it was well worth the climb to work off all the pizza and cannoli. The view at the top was nice and the breakfast was good as well. the parking was at the main train station, but they come get your bags for you if you want.

Thanks to all of the spot on reviews on TripAdvisor that got me to check out this hotel in the first place. I am returning the favor.

Room Tip: Ask Marco
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gotmymojojrkn

Reviewed 17 June 2011

My fiancee and I have just returned from a wonderful short stay in Taormina. We have been to Taormina several times over the past few years for our holidays and we love it. For this trip we particularly chose the El Jebel because of its central location right in the town centre and also for its unique style of rooms. It is handy for the public car park (and the hotel even sent someone to collect our luggage for us). Our stay was just perfect in every way, from the warm hospitable welcome of the front desk staff to our luxurious tasteful junior suite in a fabulous oriental style and the superb personalised buffet breakfast which was served directly at our table which is something we have never experienced before. The view from the roof terrace is stunning especially at night, and we had dinner on the last night of our stay there with amazing food and a yummy dessert. We are getting married in Taormina next year with a large number of guests and so the purpose of this trip was actually to sight reception venues, choose our honeymoon hotel and look at nice accommodation for our guests. We spent a day of our trip with our local wedding planner Liz Sparta from Bouquets and Bows who we found to be the most attentive and delightful person we could hope for and we are thrilled with everything she proposed to us and we have every faith that our wedding is in the best capable hands. We will most definitely be staying at the El Jebel again next year for our wedding and honeymoon and so will our parents and we have also decided to host our family pre wedding dinner on the rooftop here as well. We are so excited about everything and cannot wait to return again for our wedding next year

Room Tip: All fab as each one is individually designed
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2011

The Hotel el Jebel was a real treat. It is truly a 5 star hotel located on the main pedestrian street in Taormina.

Our room was a little larger than the "European standard", the bathroom considerably larger. We had all the facilities and more that you would expect fron a 5 star hotel. Our room had a view out over the water and the town.

Nothing was ever a problem at the hotel - no sooner had we telephoned them to say that we had arrived at the garage at the entrance to the town (you cannot drive to the hotel) someone was there to greet us and assist with luggage. Requests for sightseeing suggestions were greeted with enthusiasm - the suggestions were ones that we probably would not have undertaken without their guidance and we were very pleased with their ideas.

The breakfasts we truly wonderful, served in an elegant dining room - the food was everything you could possibly want. Often service in these European 5 star hotels can be a little stiff and formal - not so at the el Jebel - attentive, friendly and above all not that aloof stiffness, instead genuine warmth and true hospitality.

They have a roof top terrace and sitting there each evening watching the lights was was magic. Free internet access was a plus.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the el Jebel and would wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Geddes_7
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My boyfriend decided to take me on holiday to Taormina for my birthday. but most importantly decided to take me to El Jebel...the palace is just stunning, with a panoramic lift that takes you up to the terrace where we had our dinner, mouth watering food...the room was very beautiful and absolutely clean. as the staff at the front desk explained us later, each room is differently designed and has its own story, fascinating! I have never felt more welcome and more looked after, I just had to say that i wanted to go to the beach and there they were, printing maps, explaining how to get there, which was the best place, weather forecast for the day, etc... I would feel selfish not to share this with everyone...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 May 2011

I was impressed with this hotel, it is really elegant and luxurious. HIgh level of customer service, staff was really caring, helpful and professional at all times. The room I stayed was great with seaview. I would recommend this hotel to all my family and friends.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 May 2011

After spending a night down the street in Taormina in a non-functional room that was 2x too expensive, it was a JOY to stay here in a place that was just mildly too expensive. The El Jebel is a 5-star hotel which is really a 5-star hotel. The "Italian Hotel Star Conversion Factor" does not apply here. 99% of all the hotels I have experienced in Italy carry 1 star more than they would in any other country. If you are in a 4-star hotel in Italy, reduce your expectations. The hotel will have shampoo in tear-open packets just like the 3-star places you stayed in while in Germany.

I paid €294 for a room here. I'd say it's worth more like €260 or €270. But, it was a great experience so, I would go back.

The room was gorgeous. The style of the whole hotel is intriguing. I have never been in any place quite like it. The lamps, the arches, the color schemes are intriguing and comfortable. The room was not only beautiful, it was FUNCTIONAL!

There was plenty of room for bags for 2 people. The closet had enough room for clothes for at least 2 people. There was counterspace enough for everything and then some: laptops, camera, chargers, books, cell phones, keys, magazines, drinks...

It had a huge flatscreen TV AND.... it worked! All channels!
Between the bed and the TV there was a long, comfortable sofa and a coffee table almost as long as the sofa. The sofa was long enough and comfortable enough for a 185cm tall man to sleep on.

I had a corner room on the 3rd floor which gave me a stunning view of the Duomo in the foreground and the Mediterranean in the distance. (see photo)

The bathroom was also gorgeous, well-lit, and functional.

The soundproofing was immaculate and the bed was one of those beds that you never want to leave. That night's sleep was one so sound that I wished I could have recorded it. Wouldn't that be nice to be able to play back a good night's sleep any time you need it?

FOOD:
Excellent breakfast! It took a miracle of self-control to keep from stuffing myself with pastries. I wanted to bring a bag of them home with me to Switzerland.

I did not eat dinner here, but the dinner menu looked very good and not too overpriced; just a slight premium for the 5-starness. I had such a good impression of the hotel and the breakfast food, that I will eat here next time in Taormina regardless of where I stay. If possible, (meaning if they keep their room price under €300) I would stay here again.

The staff was very helpful and spoke excellent English. There was one situation that showed hints of the 'star-inflation'. In most 5-star hotels, when you mention something like, "I need to ship something to...," they will answer, "Just bring the item to ____, give her/him the address, and we'll have it shipped for you." Badda-bing, Badda-boom. Done.
Not here. Nobody knew how to ship anything. But that was no big deal. This was not a business trip.

The only downsides to the El Jebel were:
1) no place to park
2) no loading zone near the hotel
3) no functional lobby for socializing

I would love to come back to the El Jebel. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Ravenshaw
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I've been in Taormina a few weeks ago and have to admit the the hotel was very good.
The food was excelent: we had a continental breakfest and every thing was frech or just cooked; we had dinner in the hotel a few times and chef Lucio proposed to us a magnificent meat degustation.
The staff was also very friendly and professional.

I would recoment this hotel also for the location: directly on Corso Umberto, which is the mail road, full of shops, restaurants and bars.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business