“Huge garden terrace with friendly staff”
Review of Rosso Peperoncino

Rosso Peperoncino
Ranked #32 of 279 Restaurants in Taormina
Price range: US$18 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Il Ristorante RossoPeperoncino si trova nel cuore della Taormina medievale, proprio alle spalle del Duomo. La sala interna, decorata con ceramica della tradizione sicula, e il suo grazioso giardino esterno sono il luogo ideale dove trascorrere una piacevole serata o eventi importanti quali matrimoni, anniversari, banchetti e cene di gala in un incantevole atmosfera fatta dei sapori antichi tipici della Sicilia. Il nostro personale sarà pronto ad accogliervi con cortesia e a darvi consigli sulle tante prelibatezze che con cura ed amore vengono preparate quotidianamente dal nostro chef. Piatti autentici e tradizionali realizzati con ingredienti di prima scelta richiamano la cucina tipica del territorio, con una particolare attenzione ai gusti e ai sapori gastronomici della Sicilia orientale e della tradizione mediterranea.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We found this place tucked away at the bottom of a side street. The restaurant is smart and modern, set around an old garden area. The food we had was excellent (lasagne and freshly caught Sea Bass - cooked to perfection). The carafe of rosso (red) wine we had was served chilled, which we thought was a little unusual, but tasty all the same.

Service very good, and good value too.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My husband and I chose this restaurant as our last meal in taormina and were greatly disappointed, especially for the price. Granted, we are both "foodies" and have both worked in the upscale restaurant business as some point in our lives, we can be tough critics. The service was good, no frills/friendliness. Both of our pasta dishes were over cooked (the only time I experienced that at all in my two weeks in sicily). Being semi turned off, we chose to then only share a chicken dish. It was merely two thin breasts of chicken lightly breaded and the price was comparable in comparison to better restaurants close by (Malvasia, don ciccios, da vino rosso osteria). I would not return.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We were looking for a nice restaurant to dine in last Friday, and all of a sudden my mother in law remembered that a friend had suggested this restaurant, so off we went to Rosso Peperoncino, and I must say we were not disappointed.
We started off with a mix of antipasti, a Parmiggiana di Melanzane which was melt in your mouth, caponata with crunchy bread, Caprese Salad with Mozzarella di Bufala and sweet tomatoes and last but not least a platter with creamy gorgonzola, Parmiggiano cheese, Bresaola and Prosciutto di Parma, in reality we were already full with all these delicacies, however we had ordered the pasta, and therefore we made space for it as well, and thank God we did. I ordered a Carbonara which was divine, my mum in law ordered a Norma which i tasted as well and the other 3 ordered homemade gnocchi filled with prawns.
The spaghetti carbonara were cooked to perfection and the cream was to die for, the Norma, even though with a rich tomato sauce was very delicate on the palate and the gnocchi were something out of this world.
Lastly we had a homemade Tiramisu to share as we couldn't eat more and wow was it good! Next time i visit Taormina I will definitely eat there again.

2  Thank Nata2477
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Was there and can just say it was excellent. Like this restaurant and other's have to impress by food to attract the tourist's as it has no Seaview. Based on this I choose then mainly restairants without Seaview, because the view is great, but the food not that impressive.

This restaurant has an open area enclosed by old walls. Great athmosphere and the food was really great, as well the wine!

The staff was really friendly and very helpful.

The poor ratings for this restaurants I can't understand. Is a nice fancy city taormina, some people don't know that in Italy the food you need to enjoy and everything takes some time, everwhere.

For me the best one I had in taormin, next to trattoria de nino and Al saraceno.

1  Thank Peter F
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My fiancée and I had arranged to be married in Taormina and wanted an intimate, Italian restaurant for our lunchtime wedding reception (we were a party of 17 adults and 4 children) which served excellent food at a reasonable price. We had contacted the restaurant directly to discuss menus and were offered the following meat & fish menus:
Meat menu:
Appetizer: Mixed Sicilian appetizer with Caponata Siciliana, orange salad and zucchini flan
First course: Fresh ravioli filled with ricotta cheese in pistachio cream
Meat course: Beef steak with rocket, parmesan cheese and tomato
Dessert: Cannolo Siciliano
Water, Vino Etna Murgo white / red, coffee.

Fish menu:
Appetizer: Mixed fish appetizer with baby-fish fritters, aubergines parmesan with
sword-fish, mussels filled with breadcrumbs, fried baby-squid
First course: Gnocchi with prawns and basil cream
Or
Risotto with grouper and zucchini cream
Fish course: Mixed grilled fish with king prawns, sword-fish rolls, squid
Dessert: Cannolo Siciliano
Water, Vino Etna Murgo white / red, coffee.

Rosso Peperoncino excelled themselves. The food was absolutely wonderful - the flavours were exquisite and presentation marvellous. The service was superb - never rushed, and always enough time between the courses to savour what had been consumed. I have travelled the world extensively and eaten in many high class establishments, and this small family run restaurant is most definitely up there with the best of them. Our overall experience was not a 'one-off' as ten members of our wedding party returned on subsequent nights and advised that their meals were equally as good as they'd had on our wedding day.
If you do nothing else on your visit to Taormina, make sure you visit this gem of a restaurant.

1  Thank Rob H