“Things are not what they seem (on the hotel website) BEWARE!”

Metropole Taormina Maison d'Hotes
Ranked #34 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 15 May 2012

I am an experienced traveller – I travel more than 150 days/year on business/holidays. Taormina is one of my favourite European destinations and over the past 10 years I have been to Taormina at least twice every year. As I have stayed in all 5star hotels in Taormina, I believe I am well qualified to objectively compare this hotel with others in town.
I have made a reservation on a hotel website for the 6 day stay from April 30 until May 6, 2012.
Having read the comments on Tripadviser about small size of the rooms and limited storage space, I have decided to book a junior suite with Jacuzzi for ca Eur 3,000 per our stay. It was meant to be a relaxing short-holiday stay with my girlfriend.
Once we were shown our “junior suite” we were shocked. The room was extremely small. There was no living room area and, as other people were saying, there were only 4 (four!) hangers in the small cabinet! The room, although beautifully finished, had a claustrophobic feel to it. Not a place to stay for 6 days.
In addition, the Jacuzzi was located on a narrow terrace which unfortunately provided limited views (obstructed by the concrete railings) and zero privacy as just next to it were the terraces of other hotel guests There was no partitioning whatsoever between the rooms so you could actually easily move from one terrace to another. And people sitting in the neighbouring Jacuzzi had a perfect view of what is happening in our room!
So, no privacy in our room, we might as well stay at the pool during our stay? Wrong! The pool is also very small with limited number of sun beds(10-12) ! I could just picture the fight for sun beds in the morning (all sun beds were occupied when we were there).
Also we have learnt, that supposedly 5star hotel Metrople does not even have a gym! The lady at reception offered that she could book a public gym for us (somewhere in Taormina).
As we complained about the room we were shown to one other room that was available – so called Designer Suite (two level). Sounds good but again in reality that room was even worse than junior suite! There was no terrace and no windows in the bedroom and again the room had a very small claustrophobic feel to it. As we did not like the room we have decided to look for a different hotel.
Normally in such situations, hotels might charge for one night and return the rest of the money. Not at Metropole! The manager pointed to the terms of reservation and said that he would charge us for the entire stay. He has shown zero flexibility in that respect!
At that point I had enough of that hotel . I have decided to pay the entire amount and be done with them. We went to Villa Sant’ Andrea and had a fabulous stay there (see our review there).
My advise is check carefully when you make your reservation at this hotel. Perhaps it may suit some people, but for some accustomed to larger space, views and privacy it is just not good enough. And the management clearly does not care of their guest needs and has a very short-term, “money-now” approach. As my expectations towards the management of Hotel Metropole are already very low, I was still surprised when I received a following email from the hotel few days ago :
“...thanks for staying with us at Hotel Metropole Taormina. We hope you had a marvelous vacation in Italy and a safe return home, with plenty of unforgettable memories. We would like to thank you for choosing Hotel Metropole Taormina”.

My stay there was clearly “unforgettable”.

Room Tip: Avoid the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
17  Thank WojtekLondon

Reviewed 8 April 2012

Location, services, cleanliness, everything wonderful! Tge days I spent there were unforgettables!

Room Tip: With terrases! The view is nice!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 January 2012

We stayed in this hotel for four nights in a Junior Suite and found our stay 'simply amazing'. The welcome was warm and genuine, the cuisine was superb (specially our engagement meal - where I had organised a surprise menu), the views breathtaking and the rooms..... We decided against the duplex rooms and chose one with a jacuzzi on the terrace - sitting there and watching the beautiful landscape was simply fantastic. If you after a romantic stay in a charming hotel in the centre of a beautiful town, look no further!

Room Tip: Take a junior suite with jacuzzi - you will not regret it!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Spent 2 nights here and would love to have stayed longer. A beautiful hotel overlooking the ocean. Our room was large with a huge balcony to sit on and watch the sunset.
Being winter, we were one of only a few guests at the hotel. Toarmina is so full of tourists during summer, that winter is a great time to visit. The shops are open during this time because of Christmas, but you do not get the crowds of summer. The staff were terrific, wi-fi available in the lobby. Breakfast and drinks are taken in an outdoor area overlooking the fabulous views. Maria looked after us in the mornings for breakfast. You can order off a menu, from eggs to your liking, french toast, etc along with a lovely buffet of fresh fruit, pastries etc. I loved being in the centre of Toarmina. You walk out the front door and are on the main strip. Walking back from the many restaurants after dinner was a treat. It felt as though you had the whole town to yourself.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank morrisjanita
Reviewed 27 October 2011

This hotel, while being very nice generally, is definitely not 5 star. More 4 star with 5 star pretensions...
It had amazing views and great food, especially the breakfast, but there were many things that weren't up to scratch:
1. We booked a Comfort room - do NOT stay in one of these. They all look out over Corso Umberto, the main street in Taormina, and on our first night we were kept awake by bars/restaurants/people shouting and screaming until 5am. General street noise then started again before 8am. They need to get some serious triple glazing in these rooms. When we asked to move rooms they said they could move us to the other side, but this wasn't a complimentary upgrade (despite the hotel being half empty) - we had to pay an extra 270 Euros! The room we were moved to was lovely, sea view with a balcony, but you could still hear the noise made by guests in the room above - footsteps, dragging chairs, toilet flushing, shower running. I know the building is very old, but a noisy room is not what you expect from a 5 star hotel.
2. The spa is terrible. There are only 2 treatment rooms and just 1 beautician so my husband and I couldn't have an appointment at the same time. I had the worst manicure I've ever had, I could have done it better myself. She didn't even paint to the edges of my nails and within 2 days the polish had started wearing off - for 30 Euros! And my husband received a very painful back massage that wasn't relaxing at all.
3. There is a lack of English speaking channels on the TV - just news channels.
4. The drinks at the bar are very expensive. We ended up buying drinks from the local supermarket to have on our balcony.
5. Room service don't seem to answer the phone so we had to place an order with the receptionist who had no idea what we were referring to on the menu and the order wasn't correct when it turned up. Some time after we had finished, no-one came back to collect the portable table and plates so we had to push it out into the hall outside our room.
6. The hotel has a lovely infinity pool overlooking the sea. The weather was lovely while we were there and it would have been nice to have a swim, except the pool is not heated! It was icy cold - again not good enough for a 5 star hotel.
7. The bathrooms are done very nicely but they have impractical shaped sinks, which mean just turning the tap on splashes water around the entire sink area.
8. All the light switches in the room are marked with little blue lights, which light up the entire room when the lights are switched off. Very annoying.

Having said all that, we were pleasantly surprised when due to our late evening flight home, they let us keep the room all day until we were ready to leave with no extra charge.

A nice hotel, but lots of things let it down. There are better hotels to stay in but the bar is worth a visit for the lovely views, if you can afford the drinks!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep, do not stay in a Comfort room. Try and get a room with a balcony and sea view...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank sal4488
Reviewed 15 October 2011

great palace! wonderful vues and service, breakfast perfect. Swimming pool de reve with a drop off to the sea 100 meters below! great design, done in very good taste. the showers are a joy, took one three times a day, relaxing and high confort. Drinks and such are very expensive, as is the restaurant but if you want one of a lifetime sensation it is well worth it. If I get rich I'll go again. loved the place. Fully reccommend a stay at the Metropole.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank wink14
Reviewed 30 September 2011

This is our favorite restaurant in Taormina. Andreas, the chef, is a very creative professional and is very customerfocused.
We will be back.
Our recommendation is to trust the set menu proposal, both meat or fish.
I have no doubt that this restaurant, only recently run by Andreas, will climb to the top of the rankins.
We already made sure that our traveling friends are aware of this little gem.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple