This converted monastery sitting cliff side over the sea in Taomina is very beautiful but ultimately disappointing. Our room was nicely appointed but a bit tired. It had a nice little balcony overlooking the spectacular bay, and a good sized marble bathroom with a strong shower. Internet was so weak as to be non-existent, even in the lobby. A door to the room adjacent to ours was paper thin and consequently we heard very word of an admittedly loud conversation next door. Our main complaint was an unpleasant odor, originating from the plumbing, which pervaded the room. The management blamed it on the old sewage system of the town, and no real resolution was offered. Similarly, we experienced poor service at the reception desk - with the sole exception of Tiziana, who was attentive, and effective. For example, we asked to buy stamps and were told the desk had none. When shortly thereafter we asked Tiziana for stamps, she was able to respond satisfactorily. Lastly, a complimentary dinner in the restaurant included in our stay. A reservation was made for us and we were on time. First, we were ignored in the bar area that serves as an anteroom to the restaurant, and when we were seated, the Maître D did not recognize the names of drinks we selected from the house cocktail list. We were the last table seated that evening, and the staff was so obviously eager to close for the night that they had to be reminded to bring our main course. Once it came, the entire staff stood at close range watching us, almost literally tapping their feet with impatience for us to be done. Abysmal. We did receive some consideration on our final bill after a talk with management but frankly, for a supposed 5 star hotel, it was way too little & too late.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This place is temporarily closed for renovation. Opening date to be announced soon. A LUXURY 5-STAR HOTEL ON THE EAST COAST OF SICILY The San Domenico Palace Hotel sits in a truly magnificent setting that has attracted people from ancient times. A luxury 5-star hotel in an ancient Dominican monastery, it has views over Mount Etna and Taormina Bay on the east coast of Sicily not far from Messina. Countless famous writers, artists and composers, came here to savour this unique spot at the very tip of Italy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your San Domenico Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo San Domenico Taormina
- Palazzo San Domenico Hotel Taormina
- San Domenico Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily