We stayed here at the beginning of June 2014 as part of a Sicily Tauck Tour. The corridors, courtyard and gardens are beautiful. We thank the bar staff for looking after us in the courtyard and allowing us to eat our pizza from the nearby shop, for lunch, in the courtyard.
We had a room with a terrace that overlooked the bay. This was beautiful, it was a pity that it was difficult to use the bathroom. It was very small with a shower in the bath, and with no floor drain it was necessary to keep the thick fabric shower curtain in the bath for a shower. This would collect bacteria and fungus and so is not very hygienic.
To maintain balance, I grabbed the shower pole, however, it detached from the shower head and I struggled to put it back together again. There were no other safety poles to grab.
Also, to get the toilet to flush properly, you had to make sure your thumb was in exactly the right place on the flushing button.
We had a "farewell dinner" in the main dining room, which suffers from the fact that the kitchen is a very long way away, near the breakfast dinning room location.
We had an inclusive Wi-Fi package from Tauck, however the service kept dropping in and out, so we gave up!!!!
We had to be ready promptly for our daily tours and this would have been much easier if all of the above flowed smoothly.
We also had a thin door to the next room.
Thank you to the hotel for giving us a late check out, it was much appreciated before our 3 days of flying back to Australia.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This place is temporarily closed for renovation. Opening date to be announced soon. A LUXURY 5-STAR HOTEL ON THE EAST COAST OF SICILY The San Domenico Palace Hotel sits in a truly magnificent setting that has attracted people from ancient times. A luxury 5-star hotel in an ancient Dominican monastery, it has views over Mount Etna and Taormina Bay on the east coast of Sicily not far from Messina. Countless famous writers, artists and composers, came here to savour this unique spot at the very tip of Italy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TravelUp, Booking.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your San Domenico Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo San Domenico Taormina
- Palazzo San Domenico Hotel Taormina
- San Domenico Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily