There are two hotels in Taormina that we would recommend and this was our first choice. The San Domenico Palace is a former monastery parts of which date back to the 14th century. It stands at the Western end of the upper area of Taormina with fantastic views from the front over the sea and towards Etna.
The public areas are large and impressive with many relics and antiques from the monastery. In the central area is the cloisters with comfortable seating beneath palm trees and bougainvillea. Drinks are served in this area and a pianist entertains at night.
Our room was a junior suite in spacious lofty rooms comprising the bedroom, en suite and a sitting area with doors opening onto a large terrace with sun loungers and a table and chairs. The view from the terrace was breathtaking. Definitely worth getting a room with a sea view at the highest price you can afford as some of the rooms are smaller.
The breakfast buffet was extensive and of high quality. It is served on a terrace which has beautiful views over the sea by friendly and efficient staff.
There are extensive terrace gardens with secluded seating areas. The outdoor pool and sun terrace is located below the gardens and is well sheltered with shaded sitting area and a bar serving serving snacks and drinks.
The hotel's location gives easy access to Taormina with its historic buildings, quality shops and bars and restaurants.
A car is not needed if you are staying in Taormina as all of the upper area is in easy walking distance and driving is not easy because of the one way systems and narrow streets. If you do hire a car however there is gated parking at the hotel for which no charge was made.
A stay at the San Domenico Palace is a relaxing experience to be enjoyed and relished and I would recommend it highly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A LUXURY 5-STAR HOTEL ON THE EAST COAST OF SICILY The San Domenico Palace Hotel sits in a truly magnificent setting that has attracted people from ancient times. A luxury 5-star hotel in an ancient Dominican monastery, it has views over Mount Etna and Taormina Bay on the east coast of Sicily not far from Messina. Countless famous writers, artists and composers, came here to savour this unique spot at the very tip of Italy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Hotels.com, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your San Domenico Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo San Domenico Taormina
- Palazzo San Domenico Hotel Taormina
- San Domenico Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily