We have recently stayed at the San Domenico and whilst it is a beautiful hotel and setting it is definitely not worthy of its 5 star status. The hotel is lovely, the staff apart from one of the gentleman on reception are very efficient and courteous but the rest of the hotel leaves a lot to be desired. I have seen many complaints on here about the cost of wi-fi and the only way the hotel seems to have addressed this is to leave the charge as is and remove the free wi-fi in the hotel reception! The area that is the most lacking in service and standards is the food and beverage and particularly breakfast. The "amazing" buffet seemed to be absent and what was available was cold. Guests had to wait ages for food to be replaced and despite the fact that several people were waiting for the hot plates to be filled, only one bowl of each came out which disappeared again after 5 servings leaving a lot more guests waiting! Breakfast is advertised as being served from 7am to 10.30 am but when we arrived at breakfast at 7am one morning to go on an early trip, the food was cold, the candles hadn't been lit under the food, the tables weren't laid etc. etc., and we ended up having to order our food separately. There was a distinct shortage of staff and those who are there are not very efficient. Tea with cold milk was presented as tea bags, hot water, and lemons with hairs in it! Whatever you ordered was not completed, ie. coffee would arrive but no hot milk, teabags but no hot water! They try very hard but are not able to complete an entire order which is not my usual experience of a 5 star hotel. We avoided the hotel bar completely - why pay 3 times the amount of euros for a bottle of coke when you can pay 2 Euros a 2 minute walk away? Whilst this is a lovely hotel I wouldn't stay here again. Given how much it cost just for bed and breakfast there is no way that we could justify this cost against the standards they offer.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This place is temporarily closed for renovation. Opening date to be announced soon. A LUXURY 5-STAR HOTEL ON THE EAST COAST OF SICILY The San Domenico Palace Hotel sits in a truly magnificent setting that has attracted people from ancient times. A luxury 5-star hotel in an ancient Dominican monastery, it has views over Mount Etna and Taormina Bay on the east coast of Sicily not far from Messina. Countless famous writers, artists and composers, came here to savour this unique spot at the very tip of Italy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your San Domenico Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Palazzo San Domenico Taormina
- Palazzo San Domenico Hotel Taormina
- San Domenico Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily