“Stunning location!”

Hotel Villa Diodoro
Ranked #31 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I've been to this hotel twice a few years apart. We stayed in Villa Guilia within the hotel grounds of Hotel Villa Diodoro. We chose this hotel as we were looking for the best of self catering mixed with a hotel and it really does meet this objective. The rooms themselves are situated down some stairs beneath the pool area so you have a bit of a walk from main reception. Don't let this put you off though as the rooms are huge, they are big enough for a family of 4 with one half being the bedroom, then through the door is another lounge area with a kitchenette and a door to the bathroom. The balcony really is the best part of the room though with a stunning view right over the sea - it's breathtaking! The sun is also on the balcony during the day so you can sunbathe in your own area if you choose to. The kitchen is really handy to have too, we didn't use the hob but it was great to bring back and sample some of the local food, you can prepare it in the kitchen and use the plates, cutlery etc, and the fridge to your water cool is much needed! I would say that if you wanted to save some money you could also easily prepare a pasta dinner if you wanted to though. It saved us a bit of cash being able to prepare our lunch there though rather than eat out - the bar area isn't that cheap.

The hotel is in a great location to the town - it's about a 10 minute walk to all of the main restaurants, but across the road from the hotel are some nice restaurants too - one of them we went back to twice!!

Breakfast is your usual bread and cheese and meats and a few cereals and juice, perfectly adequate. They also have mini croissants and pastries. Coffee isn't wonderful (I never know why this is in Italian hotels - I have yet to like any breakfast coffee at places I've stayed yet in cafes and in the bar it's top notch?!!).

The second time I went back to this hotel was on our honeymoon - we loved it so much that we decided to go back (this was in August 2010)! I would still recommend the hotel, however on the 2nd visit we noticed that the rooms and hotel are a bit tired. I am not sure whether our standards have changed (we've been to some lovely hotels since so it could have been that!!) or whether it was because it was our honeymoon we were looking for something a bit special. Don't get me wrong, the room and hotel was clean and functional, but the furnishings don't have the plush wow factor and are very oldie worldie charm/dark oak antiques etc. The location was still as stunning as ever as was the weather, and the location one of the best, but we noticed the marble in the bathroom looked a bit dated, the double bed (two singles pushed together) lacked comfort and luxury that I'd expect with a simple sheet, and the main reception area wasn't pure luxury. Overall, I would probably go back one day if I was after a clean and functional hotel but I may look around at other hotels first now I know the location. I'd like to stress this isn't because I disliked it, I just think I'm after something a bit different these days and going back to the same place twice I feel confident in knowing the other hotels in the area. If you want a clean, functional hotel, with an excellent location that has charm (it's not all modern furnishings and white decor) then this is your place.

Room Tip: Ask for the Villa Guilia - they have the hugest balconies. Note: guests who have walking difficulti...
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bexyuk
There are newer reviews for Hotel Villa Diodoro

Reviewed 14 November 2011

We were here with a tour group in early November. Location of this pretty place is perfect, only about a 5 minute walk to the old streets of Taormina. The Greek/Roman amphitheater is practically in the "backyard." The view from our room, although not overlooking the seascape, was still gorgeous as it overlooked other quaint villa type structures situated on a terraced landscape. The grounds are so lovely and the pool overlooks Taormina's romantic coastline which is paradise by day and spectacular by night. We would go up to the roof terrace in the evening just to look at the sparkling night-time city lights nestled along the coast. We ate both breakfast and dinner here. Food was pretty good, but I will say that the eggs in the morning were cold and watery and sometimes the evening meal was served luke warm. Other than that, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 October 2011

this is a nice, older hotel. however, the restaurant food is dismal. avoid eating at the hotel restaurant. the eggs at the breakfast buffet were cold and the staff refused to warm them. the dinner meals were uneatable. there are many other fantastic restaurant options in town at every price level. sleep here- but do not eat here.......

Room Tip: be sure to insist on a view of the water.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank mr_los_angeles
Reviewed 24 October 2011

i travel to sicily often, i stayed at villa diodoro with a big group and with a small group of americans who hired me to travel all over the country. the staff the views the wonderful breakfast, the kindness of francesca and the rest of the desk staff cooperated for an unforgettable vacation for all my people.

i also found the waiters very very efficient
ENZA

Room Tip: if you want a room with a view it is wise to request it, liek every hotel there is a front , back an...
  • Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank miriGaeta
Reviewed 13 October 2011

This Hotel was a suprise ending to our two week trip. We had upgraded our room to a corner suite which we had viewed on their website. The website did not due the view justice. We arrived in our room to a seating area surrounded by windows. We opened the blinds and were amased. At that point I told my wife that I did not want to leave the room. The view was spectacular, and the room had a rap around deck. I immediately went to the bar, purchased a bottle of wine and sat on the deck enjoying.
Besides the room, the staff was great, along with a nice bar area, playing music in the evening. Pool area is also elevated with great views. As most hotels, breakfast is included, however this was slightly nicer than others we have experienced.
Many normal rooms also have a great view, but choose the upgrade if you are able.
We highly recommend this hotel, you will not be dissappointed.

Room Tip: Pay for, and request a corner suite
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Derby England
Can't believe some of the recent very negative reviews. Comments bear no relation to the Villa Diodoro hotel we have just returned home from (9 October 2011). Sure, parts of the hotel seem a little dated but this only adds to the charm of the place.
Wonderful location, lovely food, spotlessly clean and helpful and friendly staff. What more could you ask for of a hotel?
Just one piece of advice. Be wary of visiting the beach at Diodoro's sister hotel. The taxi (provided by the sister hotel) was over an hour late in picking us up!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DerbyBernie
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We picked this hotel from Trip Advisor – great choice.
My only reservation in recommending this hotel is that I may not be able to get in when we want to go again – it’s just so good.

Location – Just 10 mins walk from the centre of Taormina, easy access to the town and amphitheatre. Hotel is set on a cliff with views overlooking the bay and Mt Etna. Pool is on a lower level, out on the edge - level with the basement

The hotel is very nicely furnished, the Classic rooms are slightly small, but not unusual for Europe. They have a balcony big enough to sit out on, but no privacy as they are separated by just ironwork – but this is fine. Rooms are secure with double glazed lockable window and door, plus roll down “continental” type shutters. Air conditioning worked well. Floors were wood strip and we noticed very clean when we arrived.
The room seemed to have been redecorated fairly recently and no scuffs etc., same for all the hotel.

The pool is a really good size for a proper swim (15m?) and is accessed by about 60 steps through the garden. Fine for most people, but not suitable if you have mobility problems. There is a small kiddie pool and poolside bar that has very nice snacks for lunch, salads, pannini, fruit. The bartender and waitress were really friendly and helpful, couldn’t have expected better.
Pool was open from 9am to 6pm and we never had a problem getting sun beds at any time of day. No need to get up at 7 to put towels out; turn up at 11am, no problem.
I think this was because half the guests were Italian and many used the beach at the sister hotel. Wonderful views of the bay, Etna and the coast from the pool.

All the staff I met were very helpful and spoke v good English.

Food: Originally we planned to eat out some evenings – didn’t bother, the food was so great we didn’t want to miss any of it. Basically good Italian restaurant cooking , so nice there was no “International fare”. Extensive breakfast buffet.
Evening menu consisted of about 4 “table d'hote” choices for each course which didn’t repeat in 10 days we were there plus the al la carte. If you choose al la carte, you only pay the difference above the table d'hote price.

Drinks – Prices were really reasonable ca 4Euro for a (good) G&T, wine by the glass in the restaurant if wanted and bottles starting at 16euro. Such a nice change NOT to have my holiday spoilt by 10Euro drinks and wine bottles at 35Euro plus (are you listening Greece!).

Some evenings there was a "drains" smell on the bar terrace, from somewhere below the hotel - hopefully they will fix this.

See you there ! If we can get in.

Room Tip: Ask for Etna facing room - better view
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple