“Very good...”
Review of Hotel Villa Ducale

Hotel Villa Ducale
Ranked #1 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 5 July 2010

We were very happy with our stay at the hotel. The service is great, the location absolutely stunning and the facilities are very nice. Breakfast is fantastic, especially with the views.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BomBom033
VillaDucale, Owner at Hotel Villa Ducale, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

Dear friends BomBom33,
just a little note to express all Villa Ducale's staff gratitude for your nice words about your recent stay with us. We truly hope to see you again in the future.
Kind regards,
Mr Quartucci and Villa Ducale staff

Write a ReviewReviews (2,101)

Reviewed 3 July 2010

The service is more than impressive and you will love the attention and availability. It's a very small hotel, quite chummy, and while they don't all imediately know your name, there is the impression they'd take a bullet for you. The room was...small, but we loved the Sky satellite and the generous bathroom.The balcony was also small and not private and this particular view of the sea,while impressive,was perhaps not the best. I kept comparing this to the Amalfi coast (specifically Positano and Ravello) and this was not fair. The single most problematic issue with this hotel is the stairs. They are EVERYWHERE and if you're not fit (or the least bit lazy) this will prove difficult. Of course there is the van they provide but you always find yourself WAITING for it which means everything in the town must be scheduled/well planned which is exactly NOT what this vacation is about so....

Dear friends from Los Angeles,
it was nice to receive a positive review and a great rating 4 out of 5.
Our hotel is very special, those who choose to stay with us are extraordinary people who are looking for an extraordinary experience. As you can read from dozens of previous reviews the "Villa Ducale" people show happiness and gratitude for the wonderful view we have, breakfast and our personalized food, the friendliness of our staff, the size and luxury of our JACUZZI bathrooms, the flowers everywhere, etcetera etcetera, It is a shame that all you remember are the stairs.
Villa Ducale is simply a 3 storey antique villa with 17 rooms, perched on a Taormina hill like all the town and yes it does have stairs. Sometimes you go to Italy and can't find the efficiency of NYC elevators or Los Angeles highways, that's the reason why people are in love with Italy and Sicily, to find unspoilt little villages with little narrow streets, small shops and cafes, hidden churches and antique palazzos, and are definetely so so happy to clinb a few (yes only a very few) stairs to reach their 1898 built rooms in a charming typical sicilian villa converted into a hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2010

A beautiful small luxury hotel. An hidden jewel in the hills of Taormina. An incredible view from the terrace/restaurant on both the Etna and the bay and blue sea. Kind and helpfull staff, whom you first meet as clients , but leave as friends.
The rooms are stylish and exquisite, with antique or specially designed furniture for that specificr oom. Large and gorgeous bathroom, fully equipped with jacuzzi. The bathroom is almost a room in itself. And with a lovely terrace overlooking the bay.
But one of the best spots is the main terrace and restaurant overlooking the city,bay and blue sea and the always present Etna. Having a candle light dinner is pure pleasure, or just breakfast in the morning, a great experience. The food is delicious...you ask what you would like to eat in the morning, and they buy the fresh fish or clams at the market and the cook prepares a delicious no nonsense meal that made italian food so famous.
I've stayed at many of the best and most famous hotels in the world, and this is one of my true favorites.

3  Thank amenotep
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Having read the fantastic reviews about this hotel on this site I can only say that the reality was very slightly disappointing. I cannot put my finger on exactly why I felt this, perhaps because the reviews are so consistantly good my expectations were unrealistic.

Do not get me wrong this is a very good hotel indeed and the views accross the coast are spectacular.

The rooms are quite small but are charming, the view from our balcony was almost worth the not insignificant room rate on its own!

There are plenty of steps, I tend to agree with an earlier reviewer that this would not be a good choice if you are not steady on your feet, although this is true of Taormina itself it is, after all, an historic town built on the side of a steep hill!

We very much enjoyed our stay and were made to feel welcome, the one gripe we had was the very small amount of tea and coffee put in the rooms and despite asking for this to be replinished a number times (and occasionally ignored!) we often ran out.

I know this is a very small gripe but when almost every review raves about a place and you look forward to a trip for so long based on these reviews it is often the small items that can make you feel let down.

I wonder if my slight dispointment is due to the way that this site works, as everyones opinion is of course valid, perhaps a rating system based on measurable performance or facilities might work.

Don' get me wrong this hotel is indeed very good indeed and has some charming qualities and amazing views.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank RobboElviria
VillaDucale, Owner at Hotel Villa Ducale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2010

Dear RobboElviria,
first of all I would like thank you very much for all the praises and beautiful words expressed regarding your stay at Villa Ducale and the great rating four our of five you gave to us.
You mentioned that basically you enjoyed your stay and liked the hotel but there was something not completely satisfying you. Believe me I read your review several times and still I have not understood which or where is the point, you say all and nothing, a thing and its opposite, hard to understand..... I feel proud though that the only real gripe ("small") was the small amount of complimentary coffee and tea in the room.... While I will immeadetely ask the staff to be more attentive in replacing these items, I hope in my heart that apart the bad tea experience you have some other better memories of Villa Ducale !!!!

Reviewed 27 June 2010

My boyfriend and I finished up our Italian holiday in Sicily and we spent our first night in Taormina. We arrived a few hours before our check-in time, tired and in desperate need of a shower and sleep.

From the moment we arrived, we were taken care of and made to feel at home. The manager sat us down on the verandah with a glass of prosecco and some nibbles so that we could relax and enjoy the MAGNIFICENT view whilst he prepared our room. He didn't complain at all that we were a few hours early and in fact upgraded us to one of the best rooms. He also sat down with us and told us all about Taormina and the best places to visit in the short time we had available.

The kindness of the staff at the Hotel made us feel so at home and they even insisted on giving us some dried oregano upon leaving!

Staying at Hotel Villa Ducale was definitely one of the highlights of our trip to Sicily and I will be recommending it to family and friends who travel there in future.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vaughnie_10
Reviewed 27 June 2010

We travelled around Sicily for our honeymoon, staying at seven different hotels. This was definitely our favourite. Yes, there might not be a swimming pool, yes you might have to walk a bit to get into the busier, touristy part, but there are so many lovely aspects of this hotel that you don't mind those things at all.
The staff is excellent, the breakfasts delicious (better than the dinner, which was still very good), the views breath-taking, the decor gorgeous. Having been lucky enough to stay at Lo Splendido in Porto Fino, Le Sirenuse in Positano, I Cipriani etc (absolutely love Italy and have celebrated all big occasions of my life somewhere there!), this place can comfortably compete and actually might be the only one that I'd seriously consider going back to regularly.
Don't hesitate, it's excellent.

2  Thank MissRoya
Reviewed 24 June 2010

There are no words to describe Villa Ducale other than it is God's little corner of the world. What first caught my breath was the view, high up in the hills, looking down at the village, the sea, and Mt. Etna. Magnificant sunsets and sunrises! Because it was small (17 rooms), it was very condusive to having great conversations with other tourists at the very extensive buffet breakfast and hospitality hour, which both were included with the room. I can't rave enough about the staff which, by the way, serviced any request around the clock, 24 hours. Paolo, Luca, Alessia and Antonio are a great team. Not only were they gorgeous to look at but truly concerned about our comfort and requests. And my little Francesca, who greeted us every morning serving breakfast with a big smile and a "bongiorno" always started the day off wonderful. To me, it was my dream vacation.
I felt like I was in a movie and waited for Sophia Loren to drop in at any moment.
Thank you, my friends, and I will be back.
Love
Phyllis Corso

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank phyllisjaz
VillaDucale, Manager at Hotel Villa Ducale, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2010

Dear honored guests,
this is one of the most beautiful and gracious review that anyone ever wrote about Villa Ducale. We simply want to thank you so much.
We all want you to come back soon !!!!!
Your Sicilian friends,