“If you want to visit Taormina I recommend this hotel only”

Atahotel Capotaormina
Ranked #13 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Moscow, Russia
“If you want to visit Taormina I recommend this hotel only”
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I stayed in the hotel for a rather long period in April-May,10 and could express only positive opinion. The hotel fully corresponds with the level 4 star. It is located amazingly, it has private beach and solt-water pool. My room was big with cosy small cloak-room, nice bathroom and terrace with a really fantastic view of the sea, the bay and Etna. Every morning I receved that stunning impression out of the window. The hotel is big and one can find silence and peace in it or amuse oneself in the bar which also has an enormous terrace. Breakfast is quite good, there are restaurants with excellent cuisine. I would like to note the high professionalism of the hotel staff. Employees of the beach, the waiters in the bars and restaurants, reception staff very well know their business, cleaning my room was first class. When I chose the hotel for me was very important to have a fitness room. For me it was a great surprise to see that the sports hall in the hotel is very worthy, but also the fact that there is a trainer who can also keep up individually (for free). I especially want to commend the work of "master gym" Filippo Saoca, is an experienced professional, which is very attentive to all the visitors room, always ready to suggest, to correct, to show something new. Those who wish to take care of their shape on vacation (and it is simply necessary, given the amazing Italian cuisine!) will be very happy.I can recommend this hotel to young couples, as well as the elderly, families with children of all ages.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank marin746

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
new york
Reviewed 8 October 2009

Stayed at this hotel in September 2009. The rooms are delightful, and the hotel grouds are just beautiful. Do not miss the pool, enter thru a cave, which is amazing. Friendly staff and good restaurant. I would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Istanbul
Reviewed 5 August 2009

When I woke up in the morning i saw the Etna Mountain. It was smoking every day i stay. Shortly, it was marvellous...

• Stayed June 2006, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 14 May 2009

Myself and my husband stayed here for one week in September 2008. On approach, it looks like any hotel, and it is off a main street which we weren't expecting, but when we got to the room we were bowled over by the spectacular view from our room, which had a balcony too. You could see Mount Etna from the balcony, and nothing else but the beautiful Mediterranean. The room, while a little dated, I found to be perfect, they have carpet on the floors which is unusual (and a little grubby) but I always find my feet get really sore on tiled floors anyways so I didn't mind too much. They also had a, wait for it girlies, walk in wardrobe / room which was perfect, just unpacked and closed the door! We headed for the magnificent terrace restaurant our first night as we had arrived late, and while the view is to die for, looking straight out on the sea and Mount Etna while a piano plays in the background, it set us back €50 for 4 beers and 2 sandwiches, we were shocked!

Breakfast is great, huge spread of anything you want, in particular I found the scrambled egg fab, couldn't get enough of it! There is also bottles champagne on ice so you can have your champers brekkie if you want, and all of this can be had on the terrace, what more could you want!

The first morning we went down to the private beach via the lift, which has an amazing tunnel before you come out onto the beach. While the beach looks amazing and would be perfect if you only wanted to sit and read for a few hours, the sea, while looking very inviting, was extremely difficult to walk in, I attempted it once and gave up but my husband got in and out a few times. There is also a bar on the beach, but you're much better off stocking up before you head for the beach as it is extremely expensive and would set you back a couple of hundred euro just to have a drink or two each day of your stay (€6 for a glass of orange juice so God knows how much the beer, wine, etc. is!). There are lots of supermarkets in Taormina and you can get beer etc. for dirt cheap. The room also has a reasonable sized fridge so you can keep your stuff in there.

After the beach, we decided to head to the pool, and let's just say it is something you will very rarely experience in your life. The pictures in the brochure / on the internet etc. are no exageration, when in the pool you can lean on the edge and just stare out at the wonderful view to the sea forever. Our secret gem was the step ladder which led straight from beside the pool into the deep med, myself and my husband bought goggles and this was our source of entertainment for the whole week, all you have to do is put your head under the water and there are hundreds of exotic fish swimming right under your feet - it will truly blow you away! This was by far our favourite part of the whole place, even thinking about it now makes me want to go back!

If you're travelling into Taormina, however, make sure to reserve a place on the bus early in the day each time, as it is only a tiny bus and it's first come first served. You can also take a cable car, which is a 10 minute walk when you take a right out of the hotel but there are parts of the road which have no footpath so it can be dangerous, but definitely worth taking the cable car though, for me it was my first time and I loved it! Or if you want to take a taxi they can arrange at reception and it will cost you €15, but this can be quite expensive if you are to do it everyday. I would recommend getting the bus into the town and get a taxi home, as it is a bit of a trek back to the bus stop to get the hotel bus back. Be careful with the taxi drivers as some of them will rip you off, agree a price first.

Regarding nightlife, there is something to suit everyone, old pubs, new pubs, beautiful restaurants, one in particular, I can't remember the name of it but it was off the main shopping street and it had a wagon wheel outside, the pizza here is to DIE for, although I found the pizzas in general to be beautiful, I have never been able to appreciate pizza since I left there!

Ok, hope this review helps but we will defo be back there some day, hopefully!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank stressdbride2b
London
Reviewed 30 December 2008

We stayed at the hotel in Sep 07 for 3 nights.

I personally wouldnt stayed for any longer as Taormina the place does not have that much to do, but the hotel was exceptional for the time we were there.

Great views from room and had breakfast on terrace every morning. Pool and beach setting are great and fresh fish was exceptional. Terrace Bar of an evening is great - sun set and etna in distance!! Entertainment is good but not too in your face.

One thing I would stay this a place that you need money to stay! Lunch can easily cost you £100 for 2 (no wine just water) in the hotel. But it is worth it. We did not stay at the hotel for dinner at all so I can't comment on that. Tip: Book bus up to taormina city centre before you want to leave as this can get booked up early.

After this we went onto Mondello to another 5* hotel and it no were near matched up to the stay at capo taormina.

• Liked — Location, Location, Location..oh and the lift to the Beach!!!
  • Disliked — Taormina town centre
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank MandaARead
hampshire, england
Reviewed 15 November 2008

I have to state that my review may be a bit biased as I got engaged here in 2007.

The hotel is situated on a fairly busy road, with no pavement (or sidewalk) to the cable car that leads into Taormina. I would suggest getting a taxi to the cable car. you cannot hear any road noise in the hotel or by the pool

Our room was fantastic, and the service event better. They helped my now husband in every way, including providing a candle lit dinner on the balcony overlooking mount etna.

The infinity pool was a bit chilly in september, but it wasnt especially sunny, so i will forgive the hotel this minor detail of heating the pool. we ate in the restaurant that overlooks the sea and pool only once, but the food was freash and fantastic.

Taormina is a very special place and i encourage all of you to visit it.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank Hampshire-22
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 24 July 2008

This hotel is something like a hotel from the 70's. The views are great, but nothing special in the rooms, the internet doesnt work and they couldnt get it to work so we wasted a few hours on that, the only english channels are bbc and cnn, and the movie channel was broken the whole time we were here. Also, there was only one clued in person at the reception, the others have no idea what is going on. Oh, they claim its a 'beach hotel' but the beach closes at 3pm. The pool is old but ok (salt water). There is one good restaurant by the sea, but it is expensive.

I travel all around the world for work and pleasure and stay at all different types of hotels. This isnt one I would visit again. In fact, we were trying to leave earlier.

On a positive note it is close to Taormina and that town is great. I would stay somewhere else unless you are here for a work convention.

Stayed July 2008