“A great stop in Sicily”

Lido Mediterranee Hotel
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Drove from Almalfi to Sicily and stayed at the Hotel Lido Mediterranee for 2 fabulous nights. The location was great. It was on the beach and a short walk to the cable car to the top of Taormina (which was also lovely).

The hotel is old but charming and well kept. The staff was terrific & very helpful. We only had breakfast there and it was OK.

I highly recommend this hotel as part of your trip through Sicily. A side trip to Mt Etna was also a bit of a worthwhile adventure. Will be going back in 2014.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the sea has a great view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 May 2013

Very clean and large rooms, excellent English speaking personel -since reception to waiters- , good restaurant, not expensive, delicious breakfast, beach service-chairs and towels. What else could we expect? We know the hotel is old fashiones- we also loved it . The floor is beautiful. Everything working just fine in the restroom. Beautiful view of Isola Bella.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I' ve spent 2 nights at this hotel, with my wife and 12 yrs old daughter. Nothing to say on the location: very good and all rooms are seefront.
Right on the arrival and entering the lobby one can see that the last 40 yrs have not seen a revamp and update of the fixtures in general nor of the furniture. What amazed me is that under the glass covering the lobby desk one can still see pics of the hotel that could be considered vintage . . . surely from at least 30 yrs ago . . . the issue is that they are not there to play the vintage type style but just because they' ve never been changed and updated. The sense of sloppiness keeps running everywhere in the hotel and outside it where several dismissed plants components and other stuff are left abandoned here in there in the outside corners of the hotel.
The Hotel Mgr, after I complained for the room, where the bathroom is exactly like it was in the 70s including the water pipes and shower, told me that there are superior rooms available, fully renewed . . . well I understand that however you cannot have a 4 star hotel where the difference between 2 rooms type is so stark!
The beach in front of the hotel is ok and the lifeguard extremely polite. What really stroke me is that the hotel management has the lifeguard working also as waiter and serving the clients on the beach any drink / food they want. That is fully illegal in Italy because it' s clearly forcing the standard and consolidated duties of a lifeguard!
The hotel personnel is however extremely kind and polite so that the whole setup makes you feel like in the best surrealism of Fellini . . ..
The price for my std room for 3 was Eur 150 per night including breakfast: considering the quality of the infrastructure overall and the fact we are not in full season even not super high the price looks to me above the level where it should be
In few words dear Hotel owners: if you like to keep making money with your hotel you should have invested during last 40 years part of your yearly revenues rather than for increasing the level of your lifestyle in the hotel!!!!! Now I' m afraid it' s too late! You' re gonna keep loosing money operating the structure and if you sell it you need to apply a quite large discount.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank labiodola
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Stayed here for two nights. Good location: right on the beach, covenient to the cable car to Taormina. The soothing sound of the waves was always present. Decent buffet breakfast. Had dinner one night; nothing special, but this was near the end of the season and the menu was limited. Room keys were a bit difficult to manipulate.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room overlooking the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Jatr60745
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

The staff were pleasant, the room had a great view, clean and comfy. Breakfast was excellent and the outdoor area on the terrace was the perfect place to start the morning. The water out front is crystal clear and ideal for swimming or snorkelling. Good parking and a short walk to the cable car up to the village. Overall pleasant place to stay. The only criticism is it is the only place we have had to pay for wifi

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Classic feel, yes that also means slightly dated. This place could be amazing (and would probably cost 3 times as much, so careful what you wish for). The beach is literally at your feet. This is not a sand beach, so if you have tender feet (me~!) be prepared for some dancing (or, rememebr your beach sandals). The outdoor patio has natural (treeline) topcover and the views are amazing! The water is gorgeous (beware the Medusa (jellyfish)! The service was wonderful from check-in to check-out. The downside: the first night, we went to have dinner on the veranda/patio/beachfront I can honestly (sadly) say it was one of the worst meals I've had in Italy (that's 8.5 years of experience talking). The avacado that was meant as a starter should never have been served - hard as a rock. The lamb and mint was tough and chewy -- I forgot about "mint" until I realized the soggy green bits were once mint (I hope...) - dare I say it was warmed up from a previous day (yes, I dare say it! Awful). My wife's beef with ollves was tough and chewy (could have been lamb based on my meal...). The wine was excellent! (Made the swallowing easier) BIG dissapointment (aside from the wine)! First and last meal (aside from breakfast) we ate there for 5 nights. On the flipside, breakfast was bountiful by Italian standards. Not a lot of variation from day-to-day, but enough choices that it was easy to get a different breakfast each day. GREAT start to the day! Have I mentioned the beach? AMAZING! The walk to the "town" (additional restaraunt choices and the lift to Taormina) is a bit dicey at night - dark windy road and typical fast/reckless drivers - ensures some excitement! Prices down below seem higher than in Taoromina, or at least there were more (cheaper) options for eating "up top" - and ALL were delicious! In any event, despite the dinner and the dicey walk - THE BEACH MADE UP FOR EVERYTHING (almost). And Breakfast was a bonus. Oh yeah the room... mmmmeeehhhh. Clean and tidy, but that's all I care about when all I want to do is sleep for the night! The shower arrangement tests' your ability to keep the bathrrom dry - but after some time, we were able to keep MOST of the floor dry.... Did I mention the beach...? ;-) I'd go back in a hearbeat, but I'd need some real convincing to eat dinner there again.

Room Tip: I'd be hesitant to recommend dinner there - although I don't see a lot of others complaining...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2012

The entire stay was wonderful. The restaurant in the hotel provides very good food and the buffet is just great.
The hotel staff, what could I say. They are the best.
The hotel Director sent a fruit basket to our room as a welcome gift and we enjoyed the variety of delicious fruits of Sicily.
I would stay at this hotel for a month and do nothing but soak up the sun.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple