“A Place in the Sun”

Lido Mediterranee Hotel
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I had a beautiful room, with a balcony, ocean front. I left the windows/shutters open, and could hear the waves. The view was lovely day and night. Sitting on the balcony in the evening, with a cold glass of wine was heavenly.
The breakfasts were extremely generous. I had dinner there on 2 occasions, and each was good. Sitting out on the tree shaded terrace for meals was very pleasant.
Staff were friendly and helpful, and the breakfast room staff exceptionally good.
The private beach is wonderful. There is a cable car just along the beach which takes you up to the town and back. Best of both worlds to stay on the beachfront, but get up to the town quickly and simply.
Wi fi was free.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank arapuni

Reviewed 18 July 2013

The hotel has beautiful full ocean front for all rooms. Fall asleep listening to the waves. Parking and wi fi is free. You will definitely get your money's worth for the price. 5 stars. There is an excellent 3 Michelin star restaurant steps from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to get even better views of the ocean.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank karen_ralph
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights and found the hotel somewhat dated but comfortable. The rooms are very clean and nicely kept...sound of the waves to lull one to sleep!...unfortunately the shower was rather challenging. Despite carefully positioning the shower curtain within the footwell, water did escape because of the shallow depth of the rim.
Bathroom with a bath is a better option for such old sanitaryware. The terrace is extremely pleasant with lovely views across the bay...& delightful to take breakfast here. Quality of breakfast very average.....although there is a reasonable choice of cooked or 'Continental' breakfast. It was surprising to find tinned fruit on offer each morning..with the exception of fresh melon, and a lack of fresh fruit juice was disappointing! Again, tinned or cheap carton juice.(Didn't take any other meals at the hotel. The bar drinks are very reasonably priced) If you want a beach location this is perfect although the sun is 'lost' in shadow on this part of the beach from appx 4.30pm because of the close proximity of the hotel building to the beach. Sun beds & towels included in the hotel price. If you want a pleasant boat trip down the coast the helpful beach attendant will very easily organise this for you. The front desk staff friendly and helpful (as is the charming Manager) and the majority of restaurant & room staff were equally as helpful.
I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for basic comfortable accommodation without any luxurious touches. As other people have commented, it is a 10 minute walk to the cable car for travelling up to Taormina....BUT this is undertaken on quite a busy main road which does not have a pavement. One set of traffic lights controls a one-way flow on part of the route which has been placed there in order to make things SOMEWHAT easier for people undertaking this walk.

Room Tip: Try and avoid rooms with showers if possible as baths here are far more reliable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank gillilondon
Reviewed 4 July 2013

My stay at Hotel Lido Mediteranee was 6 nights. I did side trips from the hotel. I must say I was more than pleasantly surprised by the generous size of my single room with a queen size excellent bed: usually, I have trouble sleeping in strange beds when I travel (either the mattress is too hard or too soft), but this bed was amazing! I can only assume all the beds were the same!
Yes, the hotel is older (as most are in Taormina or so I heard) but let's call it "well preserved". The staff are friendly, suggestive and most accommodating.
The restaurant was excellent value: breakfast was generous and fresh every morning. I ate dinner there twice and both meals were excellent: grilled swordfish and Sicilian meatballs - delicious!
The hotel is about a 1km walk from the Taormina cable car which takes you up to the centre of town. It's a pleasant walk, a bit hot on a warm June day but....lovely views. Be careful of the cars.
Francesco, Laura and Salvatore were excellent reception staff members who looked after me whatever I needed. Would I go back? Yes, in a heartbeat.
I also did a bus trip to Catania and Palermo from the hotel. I took a cab to Catania and then a bus to Palermo.
I also did a private tour to Mt. Etna with a local driver named Andrea Pagano (autoservizipagano.com; info@autoservizipagano.com; Mobile: +39-338-3294720). He took me through 3 small towns on the way up the mountain (Pedara, Trecastagna and S. Veranina) filling me in on the history of their churches which we also visited, all the while filling me on the history of eruptions of Mt. Etna and the impacts on the three towns we visited. He was extremely knowledgeable, spoke English and was a true professional. I would highly recommend him - and Mt. Etna is a trip NOT to be missed while in Sicily. With Andrea, you are in great hands.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank 1curiouscuban
Reviewed 1 July 2013

This hotel that is literally situated on the beach so when you open your shutters you can hear the sea lapping at your feet is absolutely charming. It has a sister hotel in the town where you can use their fantastic swimming and we made the daily trip up into the town to swim in this delightful pool getting the best of both worlds, the beach and the city. What really impressed us (my mother and I) was not only the charming staff but the excellent food in the restaurant. It was a wonderful place to stay and I cannot recommend it enough. Having spent so much time pondering whether it was better to stay by the sea or in the town, I eventually spent a week doing both. I really cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a sea view (not that I saw the others) but we loved our view. Also, it is worth...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed here in June 2013 and were very surprised with the exceptional location. We were right on the water - the beach was AMAZING!

We paid extra for the breakfast, which was well worth it - very good spread.

We did however have to pay an extra 20 euro per room as we had 2 people per room, which we found quite funny. We blame this on the website we booked with (not tripadvisor) - you should be careful of that and make sure you are booking for the right amount of people.

Great hotel, very charming and great location - cant go wrong here

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kawkitch
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Drove from Almalfi to Sicily and stayed at the Hotel Lido Mediterranee for 2 fabulous nights. The location was great. It was on the beach and a short walk to the cable car to the top of Taormina (which was also lovely).

The hotel is old but charming and well kept. The staff was terrific & very helpful. We only had breakfast there and it was OK.

I highly recommend this hotel as part of your trip through Sicily. A side trip to Mt Etna was also a bit of a worthwhile adventure. Will be going back in 2014.

Room Tip: Room overlooking the sea has a great view
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple