All reviews no lift the bus cable car sea view fourth floor perfect location corso umberto lovely little hotel breakfast room small balcony catania airport few minutes walk small hotel cakes porta messina the main shopping street stayed nights
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I found Pensionne Svizzera by internet, and I think i did a very thing by reserving a room with them.
Theirubication is exelent , and specially if you are traveling withoy a car. It is located on the cliff with a beautifull sight of the ocean.
The rooms are average and complete, but on the smalish size, although with exelent beds and no noise.
It is also located 2 blocks from the bus station where you arrive when coming from the airport of catania. Other lines of buses also arrive there. Also it is only two blocks from the cable car to the beaches bellow. Isola bella is one of them that if you are in taormina cannot miss.
The main street, Corso Umberto is about a five minutes walk to the entrance. You will find out that it is almost a necesity see this pedestrian shopping area.
Also a must see is the greek theatre which is very weel conserved. It sits actually on top of the hotel, but you have to go to the begining of Corso Umberto to get there.
The cost of the hotel in my opinion is very reasonable with what it offers, and you can everyday enjoy a five oclock tea at its little bar.
One more detail,breakfast is very adequate.

Room tip: look for one with a window towards the ocean
Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alfredo H
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Although Taormina is a very commercial area it is still possible to find a place like La Pensione Svizzera which is a good example of 'value for money'. It is a very worm medium/small hotel with excellent staff, good breakfast included, very nice view from the room, a nice and green garden for reading/resting/relaxing. It is close to the bus station the old fashion town and the egg-cableway to go to the beach.
No elevator in the hotel to reach the room so if you have heavy stuff ask for a room in the first or second floor. This was not the case for me since I had very little stuff!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank far1969
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The grounds of this hotel are very attractive, but the smallish rooms are just so-so. The location is perfect however, in the context that it is so close to the action but just out of earshot of the late nightlife if traveling with children or go to bed early.
The breakfast is really great, and sorry we missed it the first day.
The woman was kind enough to give me coffee and croissants to take back to the room. The next day she took incredibly good care of us as well.
We would stay here again. It is a pretty good value.

2  Thank Craftina39
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I had a difficult time selecting lodging in Taomina for four nights especially deciding between beachside or hillside. I could not have been more pleased with my selection of Hotel La Pensione Svizzera! Besides immaculately clean rooms and a relaxing terrace I was surprised and impressed with the afternoon tea which was icing on the cake for me. The location made it easy to catch a bus trip to Mt. Etna as well as to Castelmola, my favorite little Italian village.
The staff goes out of its way to assist its guests. The full breakfast was the best during our thirty day vacation in Italy. I prefer not to rave because I fear the price will increase beyond my budget.

Date of stay: May 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Barbara L
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Our visit to Taormina was wonderful, and we enjoyed our stay at Pensione Svizzera. The best part about the hotel is the location, being only a 2 minute walk from the furnicular to take you to the beaches, and about 5 minutes from the entrance to the center of town.

Our room had the most amazing view of the water and we enjoyed waking up to the view every day. The breakfasts were also an incredible part of the stay -- the views from the terrace are amazing, and the breakfasts are abundant with eggs, cheese, yogurt, proscuitto, breads, cereals, and sweet treats. It was an incredible way to start the day.

The staff speaks great English and were so helpful and accommodating with any requests. Wi-fi was free, which is a wonderful addition since many hotels (we discovered on our travels) charge for wi-fi.

Our stay here was wonderful and we would stay here again, without a doubt!

Room tip: We stayed on the top floor in room #20 that had the amazing view. Note that there is no elevator, so it is hard getting luggage up / down the stairs, but if you arrive at a time when there is someone at the desk, the wonderful assistant offers to carry your luggage for you. It is worth the view if you can handle a few flights of stairs!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends