I have given this place an over all 4 rating, although I believe a 3.5 is more accurate, but on balance I think a 4 is fairer ...
I'll start with the negatives, so you can end with the positives ...
- the rooms are small. There is just about enough room for two people to have suitcases out and not quite trip over themselves/the cases/the furniture. The rooms are absolutely fine and very clean, but just small.
- there is no elevator. There are steps down from the main road to the main entrance, and, unless you are on the ground floor, there will be steps up to you room. The only positive for us being on the third floor, was that we were not on the fourth floor ... Nobody OFFERED to help ... however, when we left, we asked someone to bring the cases down, which they did without complaint (NB of course, there is no gym, so if you want a workout built in, book the fourth floor and carry your own!). Our fault maybe - don't ask, don't get ...
- it's in a great location. It's a few minutes walk from the bus stop, an even shorter walk to the cable car down to the beach, and not at all far (max 10 mins) walk to Taromina town;
- if you have a car (which we didn't), there is parking albeit for a fee (I believe EUR12) and by all accounts, parking in Taormina is nigh on impossible.
- the views. Once you have battled all those stairs, you should expect a darned good view, and you will get it!
- the breakfast was very nice indeed. A good choice, and plenty of it.
- seating area outside - we had time to kill after check out and we sat outside on some sofas reading and relaxing, and it was absolutely lovely.
- free wifi (seems the norm in Italy).
Overall, for value for money in terms of location, cleanliness and overall convenience, I would say go for it. Just train up for it first ;)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Pensione Svizzera is a small charming hotel ideally located in Via Pirandello, the most central panoramic road of Taormina, where you'll find yourself. Only 4 minutes walk from the city centre and Corso Umberto, Taormina's main drag next to the cable-car that brings down to Mazzaro, Taormina's most popular beach, as well as to the busterminal leading to the white-sandy beaches in the surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel La Pensione Svizzera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Pensione Svizzera Taormina
- La Pensione Svizzera Hotel Taormina
- Hotel La Pensione Svizzera Taormina, Sicily