Hotel La Pensione Svizzera
US$347
US$319
Travelocity
  • Pool
Grand Hotel San Pietro(Taormina)
US$450
US$1,015
Hotel Villa Schuler(Taormina)
US$232
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsno liftthe buscable carsea viewperfect locationcorso umbertoparadise beach clubsmall balconybreakfast roomfew minutes walkfirst floorcatania airportsmall hoteltop floorlovely hotelporta messinathe main shopping street
Reviewed 3 September 2012

I have given this place an over all 4 rating, although I believe a 3.5 is more accurate, but on balance I think a 4 is fairer ...

I'll start with the negatives, so you can end with the positives ...

- the rooms are small. There is just about enough room for two people to have suitcases out and not quite trip over themselves/the cases/the furniture. The rooms are absolutely fine and very clean, but just small.
- there is no elevator. There are steps down from the main road to the main entrance, and, unless you are on the ground floor, there will be steps up to you room. The only positive for us being on the third floor, was that we were not on the fourth floor ... Nobody OFFERED to help ... however, when we left, we asked someone to bring the cases down, which they did without complaint (NB of course, there is no gym, so if you want a workout built in, book the fourth floor and carry your own!). Our fault maybe - don't ask, don't get ...

The positives:

- it's in a great location. It's a few minutes walk from the bus stop, an even shorter walk to the cable car down to the beach, and not at all far (max 10 mins) walk to Taromina town;
- if you have a car (which we didn't), there is parking albeit for a fee (I believe EUR12) and by all accounts, parking in Taormina is nigh on impossible.
- the views. Once you have battled all those stairs, you should expect a darned good view, and you will get it!
- the breakfast was very nice indeed. A good choice, and plenty of it.
- seating area outside - we had time to kill after check out and we sat outside on some sofas reading and relaxing, and it was absolutely lovely.
- free wifi (seems the norm in Italy).

Overall, for value for money in terms of location, cleanliness and overall convenience, I would say go for it. Just train up for it first ;)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Reywal08
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I found Pensionne Svizzera by internet, and I think i did a very thing by reserving a room with them.
Theirubication is exelent , and specially if you are traveling withoy a car. It is located on the cliff with a beautifull sight of the ocean.
The rooms are average and complete, but on the smalish size, although with exelent beds and no noise.
It is also located 2 blocks from the bus station where you arrive when coming from the airport of catania. Other lines of buses also arrive there. Also it is only two blocks from the cable car to the beaches bellow. Isola bella is one of them that if you are in taormina cannot miss.
The main street, Corso Umberto is about a five minutes walk to the entrance. You will find out that it is almost a necesity see this pedestrian shopping area.
Also a must see is the greek theatre which is very weel conserved. It sits actually on top of the hotel, but you have to go to the begining of Corso Umberto to get there.
The cost of the hotel in my opinion is very reasonable with what it offers, and you can everyday enjoy a five oclock tea at its little bar.
One more detail,breakfast is very adequate.

Room Tip: look for one with a window towards the ocean
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alfredo H
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Although Taormina is a very commercial area it is still possible to find a place like La Pensione Svizzera which is a good example of 'value for money'. It is a very worm medium/small hotel with excellent staff, good breakfast included, very nice view from the room, a nice and green garden for reading/resting/relaxing. It is close to the bus station the old fashion town and the egg-cableway to go to the beach.
No elevator in the hotel to reach the room so if you have heavy stuff ask for a room in the first or second floor. This was not the case for me since I had very little stuff!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank far1969
Reviewed 28 July 2012

The grounds of this hotel are very attractive, but the smallish rooms are just so-so. The location is perfect however, in the context that it is so close to the action but just out of earshot of the late nightlife if traveling with children or go to bed early.
The breakfast is really great, and sorry we missed it the first day.
The woman was kind enough to give me coffee and croissants to take back to the room. The next day she took incredibly good care of us as well.
We would stay here again. It is a pretty good value.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Craftina39
Reviewed 26 July 2012

I had a difficult time selecting lodging in Taomina for four nights especially deciding between beachside or hillside. I could not have been more pleased with my selection of Hotel La Pensione Svizzera! Besides immaculately clean rooms and a relaxing terrace I was surprised and impressed with the afternoon tea which was icing on the cake for me. The location made it easy to catch a bus trip to Mt. Etna as well as to Castelmola, my favorite little Italian village.
The staff goes out of its way to assist its guests. The full breakfast was the best during our thirty day vacation in Italy. I prefer not to rave because I fear the price will increase beyond my budget.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends