After some initial problems finding the hotel, we were very happy with our choice. We left our car in one of the (paying) parking spots behind the hotel and spend 2 days walking around Taormina. It is close enough to the main street (Corso Umberto) so you can enjoy the traditional "passegiatta" a few times a day, but far enough so you can sleep in relative peace and quiet.
The room was not very large but quite modern looking, with shutters that we finally learned to close on our last night. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was large enough, with a shower only.
The breakfast was very good and varied. There is a lovely courtyard, where we had breakfast one morning and relaxed in the afternoon. There is no elevator, which was not a problem for us, but could be for others.
The front desk staff was very helpful, gave us a city map and provided clear directions to wherever we wanted to go. However, they seemed to recommend the same restaurants to all guests, and their choices were not the best in town (in our opinion).
We hiked to the nearby village of Castelmola, which is lovely, but be aware that the hill is very steep (wear appropriate shoes). We also hiked down to the beach, which is mostly pebbles and rocks, unfortunately. The hotel is situated right next to the funicular, for those who do not want to walk down.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- La Pensione Svizzera is a small charming hotel ideally located in Via Pirandello, the most central panoramic road of Taormina, where you'll find yourself. Only 4 minutes walk from the city centre and Corso Umberto, Taormina's main drag next to the cable-car that brings down to Mazzaro, Taormina's most popular beach, as well as to the busterminal leading to the white-sandy beaches in the surroundings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd and Ebookers so you can book your Hotel La Pensione Svizzera reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- La Pensione Svizzera Taormina
- La Pensione Svizzera Hotel Taormina
- Hotel La Pensione Svizzera Taormina, Sicily