“The Villa is Even Better The Second Time Around”

Hotel Villa Belvedere
Ranked #5 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Miami, Florida
“The Villa is Even Better The Second Time Around”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was our second trip to Sicily and to Villa Belvedere. When you repeat and go back to a place that left you with so many wonderful experiences the first time (October, 2011), you wonder if it will be just as good. The Villa did not disappoint. We were warmly greeted more as friends than as customers. This time we went with another couple who had never been to Sicily before and really didn't know what to expect, Both rooms were upgraded and our friends, who vacation in very upmarket hotels and on cruises were greatly impressed and delighted. Both rooms were large with full bath, veranda and seaviiew, bright, cheerful, impeccable and contemporary, but, with a traditional ambience which is true throughout the whole establishment. Our room had an interseting floor plan. It had both a large sleeping area and large bathroom. But, around the corner out of sight of the bedroom was a seperate space with a single bed and it's own nightstand and television. It would be a great room for a family of 3, travelling with a child or teenager who would like the privacy. The breakfast, as before, was excellent.
This time, we only spent 3 nights as we were on our way to a cruise in the Greek Islands. It was my first cruise and I was told I would really love it. OK, I said, but, my price is 3 nights at the Villa and we will see if I like the cruise better than you like the Villa and so the debate went. The cruise was great, but, this was a debate that believe I won, although I won't get an admission from the other side. I think that the lunch of antipasti and a fine Sicilian wine sitting at poolside under a shadetree with a view of the Bay did the trick as did the drinks of Campari, soda and blood orange juice served over ice in a tall glass. For me, it's the signature drink of the Villa.

As I did in the past, I like to put my emphasis on the people of the Villa. I refrain from calling them "staff". They are more like hosts and hostesses of the family estate. Once again, everything was done to perfection. This time we had some reservations made in advance. Reservations for Ristorante Vicolo Stretto, done, no problem. Reservations for a tour of Etna, done, no problem. Everything was done and waiting when we arrived.

There is much more to see in Sicily and I look forward to returning to the Villa with my wiife. Perhaps our friends will join us, in lieu of a cruise.

Room Tip: Third floor with a seaview and veranda is best as far as I'm concerned.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank charles d
Chriacques, Direttore at Hotel Villa Belvedere, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Sir,

As you may have noticed, we occasionally comment on our guests’ much appreciated reviews. Yours, as a returning guest after an interval of a few years, was particularly welcome as it highlights all that we do our best to achieve, day after day, year after year. You noticed without seeming to, the various discreet improvements that we undertake each winter during our annual closure season, that make Villa Belvedere what it is and what our regular and returning guests, as well as those who come for the first time, always appreciate.

Thank you too, for your very kind comments about our staff, who do remember previous guests and really are delighted to welcome them back each time. It will again be our pleasure to do so, whenever, hopefully in the not too distant future, you should decide to return to Sicily and of course to Taormina, as you mention, accompanied by your wife.

Cristian Pécaut

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My boyfriend and I had been staying in Taormina for a couple days and had decided beforehand to check into this hotel for his birthday day as to stay the whole week would have been way over our budget.. and I am SO glad we did. The pool area is gorgeous with lemon trees, orange trees, palm trees, flowers, a bar & lunch restaurant, free lounge chairs & towels and of course the pool. The hotel itself is very upscale and clean.. our room was a regular room without a terrace and it was very nice. I have heard rooms with the terrace have a smaller bathroom and I think in this hotel, for me anyway, the big bathroom & huge shower/bath were better than a terrace as you have the whole pool/garden area anyway to be outside.
The staff were so friendly & helpful.. Joseph recommended a restaurant for us to go to and made our restorations, we ended up having a beautiful meal at the best table and an amazing view. Will come back to this hotel, no doubt.
Breakfast was amazing…such a spread of breads, cheeses, eggs, veggies, fruits, snacks, ect. and they even had rice cakes!!! for someone having too much gluten the whole trip it was really nice to have.

Room Tip: My opinion is don't pay the extra for the terrace, enjoy the huge bathroom and lounge by the poo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Liz B
London
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Fantastic views from the room and great service. We were proactively upgraded by the hotel staff to a junior suite as the hotel was not full. This was much more than a suite. More like a small appartment. The garden is stunning. Full of orange and lemon trees. Only let down was the unheated pool.
A great stay overall. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: Worth paying extra for the view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank French_Traveller4
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

When booking this hotel I compared with the best and thought yes we will go for this..just one night .it was definitely the right choice,the welcome and the time they took in telling us how to get around was amazing..lovely staff..the bedroom bathroom was perfect with views of the sea .beautiful pool and etna was breathtaking. Had both breakfast first day and buffet lunch at the pool before leaving on the 2nd day...all in all Wonderful ,will definitely go back..felt at home and had I been alone here I would still be comfortable.

Room Tip: Sea view all the way. ,, there are some with bigger balconies but we were happy with our little Jul...
Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank catherineG568
UK
Reviewed 24 May 2014

This hotel was booked as part of a tour with Expressions holidays - an excellent 10 day rail trip with Taormina as its end point. Regardless of 1* or 5* Luxe this is probably the best hotel I have stayed in. You enter through (the usual for Taormina) crowded car park into a cool elegant attractive lobby where you are met with a smile and a warmth of welcome that really impresses. The hotel itself is visually attractive - geometrically perfect - green shutters - wonderful kempt gardens surrounding a sparkling pool itself surrounded by a sun terrace and the view which is why people go to Taormina.
We had experience of 2 room types with terrace and without. Without and the bathroom was large, walk in shower and very modern for 100 year old building. We asked if we could have a terrace and within a half an hour they had found a room for the next day. The difference was a smaller bathroom and slightly different lay out. View was the same stunner and the beds were as good quality and the cleaning of the room as superb as every other day. The hotel exudes a professional and personal approach that immediately becomes apparent. I believe (but don't know) that it is a local family owned business.
Breakfasts were generous meats, cheeses pastries breads with plenty of fresh fruit and the salads had plenty of new season strawberries. I know in some hotels we've all had fruit salad that should have read apple salad. The orange juice was local, fresh and delicious. Loquats or nisperos or whatever you call them were just in season and there were big bowls of them together with apples and pears. 6 or 7 types of other juices were available. Carmella brought us our cappuccinos pronto and that started the day. If you go try the Miele de Castelmola - wonderfully fragrant honey - orange blossom I would say.
The bathrooms, beds, bed linen, pictures and the doors and shutters were all high quality.
What makes it stand out - the staff - they all shone. Carmella's wicked look as she said "I know, I know - cappuccino senza cacao".
Bravo Hotel Belvedere.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed to be superb with fabulous views. There may be rooms facing the road but i wou...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GeorgeDaymond
Chriacques, Direttore at Hotel Villa Belvedere, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

We discovered your delightfully cheering review with great pleasure as it reads and feels rather like a prize we have won for having put all out best efforts into what we do every day here at Villa Belvedere per ensure that all our guests enjoy their holiday here to the full.
A review like yours and all those, also greatly appreciated, of the very many satisfied guests who write to say that Villa Belvedere has lived up to their expectations, and more - give us a real boost to continue our daily work.
We fully understand, however, that continually renewed efforts are all-important because it is never, ever possible to simply relax and "rest on our laurels". Thank you for the time you dedicated, dear guest, to writing a review about us.

Cristian Pécaut
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We spent 3 nights with a Sicily Amber Road Tour in early May - and what a brilliant hotel to complete a terrific 12 day tour! The room was superb,the full window view and aspect stunning - so the first thing to do was to order a bottle of prosecco! Quiet and away from the main centre, but such a comfortable walk to the shopping strip,restaurants, a serene little park and the bus terminus; topped off with a daily view of Mt Etna. With such helpful staff who gently tolerated my rudimentary Italian,this resort/hotel confirmed all we had read about it on Trip Advisor - it's such a shame home is so far away!
Susan & Graeme Canberra Australia

Room Tip: Being early May, there was no reason for A/C and the sun not a major issue. We were on the third flo...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Susan V
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed 2 nights for the first time over Easter with family members who visit Taormina and stay at the Belvedere regularly.

I booked a non balcony room which was spacious with big bathroom with bath/shower as specifically requested as the only one left. After checking in, my wife was informed that a balcony room was available so we asked for our bags to be moved.

When I went to the room which was on the ground floor after lunch, it was spacious, clean and light. The bathroom was small, no bath and when using the toilet and standing up, the glass shower door was almost in my face. The balcony was partially overlooked by others next door and the view of the bay very limited. Not worth the extra 50 euros per night!

We had lunch in the garden and I had a spaghetti vongole which was a big disappointment in taste and presentation. The vongole came separately to the pasta and there was sauce with it as is normal.

For breakfast, I had high expectations after reading reviews and my experiences at other smaller rustic hotels in Sicily. I felt it was limited in scope and the serving staff unsmiling and abrupt. One previous reviewer states fresh juices; in fact, all came from cartons. It was a limited functional breakfast.

On my last night, I was woken at 5am by guests above walking around their room with heavy shoes and in moving furniture around. When I checked out and was asked if I enjoyed my stay, I mentioned the room facilities and noise; I received as smile and shrug.

I will not be returning as I felt the town of Taormina was a tourist trap-well overpriced, average meals, average coffees and at Easter, overcrowded; it was body to body, a struggle to walk. My advice is to keep away from it and explore the beautiful countryside, villages and towns, especially around Etna. As for the hotel, most of the staff were very friendly, smiling and helpful. Pick your room with care or you may be disappointed and the hotel gardens were lovely. Food is not its greatest strength. Otherwise, I can see why others enjoy staying here.

Room Tip: Select a room on the top floor overlooking the sea not on lower floors as you are likely to be disap...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Tulcea
Chriacques, Direttore at Hotel Villa Belvedere, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

Thank you for your largely appreciative review of Villa Belvedere – we are naturally very pleased about your admiring description of the room you originally booked and about your other positive comments. We regret that the only room available with sea view, which however you voluntarily accepted, had one or two points which, although we beg to differ on the opinions you offer, led you to what we, in good faith feel, was your rather excessive criticism. Should one wish to have no - even minimal – sensation of neighbouring guests in a hotel – then perhaps one ought to choose an isolated hermitage for a holiday location.

Choosing to come to popular, pretty Taormina during one of the public festival times and having disliked finding a fair number of visitors enjoying the sunshine, the shops and all the many high quality attractions that Taormina offers to the discerning visitor, presumably coloured your perception of the delightful, centuries-old, well-beloved town that Taormina is.

We are also obliged in fact to disagree totally with your description of the view from the private sun terrace of the accommodation you occupied, which is far from being as described in your review, as it has a totally unimpeded view over the sea, stretching along the Sicilian coastline, almost as far as Catania (which remains out of sight in its own bay). The truly splendid view from that terrace is there for anyone who stays in that room to enjoy.

The balcony which you say is overlooked by the next-door room, is carefully and lovingly divided from its neighbours by a low-wall plant-holder, planted with ornamental shrubs, which have been admired as a divider- system by practically all our guests.

Regarding the reviews that you quote as having mentioned that all the morning fruit juices were fresh, while you found only fresh orange juice, it can only have been a misprint because it would be practically impossible for a Sicilian hotel to serve ‘fresh’ apple, peach, pineapple or grapefruit juice. Oranges grow here, not the other fruits. The brand we use, ‘Santal’, is, however, considered to be the best on the market and is most certainly the most expensive.

Moreover our guests usually compliment us on our breakfast buffets which, in spite of your perception of them, cover two broad and long tables and offer juices, milk, mineral water, coffee, various teas, toast, jams, marmalades, honey, butter, cereals, meats, salame, various cheeses including fresh ricotta, various croissants, egg dishes, bacon, an assortment of fresh fruit, cakes and pastries and many other options according to the season of the year.

Furthermore, although you omitted to mention it, we are one of the very few hotels in the south of Italy to offer guests complimentary tea and coffee making facilities in every room, with supplies renewed daily.

The bathroom you mention is not one of the larger ones in the hotel – it is probably the smallest, albeit still acceptably well-appointed but you viewed the room and accepted it as it was.

Lastly, you declare that you did not enjoy your meal. – you have our apologies – usually our guests are enthusiastic about our restaurant and about the hotel, as is proved by the regularly returning, many families and individual guests who clearly enjoy coming back to us, year after year.

If as we hope, at some time in the future, and not in high season, you would like to return for a brief - or a long visit, please rest assured that we will do our best to ensure that your stay would be a memorably happy one as are those normally enjoyed, if I may say so, by your daughter and her family, on their very welcome, recurrent visits. We want all our guests to enjoy their stay with us, always.

Cristian Pécaut.