“Rustic Sicilian charm”

Bel Soggiorno Hotel
Ranked #19 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 14 July 2014

It's a little bit like stepping back in time at the Bel Soggiorno. An old fashioned but very friendly welcome from this hotel which built in 1908 retains a quiet almost colonial Italian charm. Don't expect the whizz bang leading edge gym here, because they simply ain't one, nor a pool. There isn't a lift either, so expect to climb quite a few steps from your room up to tho hotel entrance/exit. But it's clean, comfortable and quiet. All rooms have views out to sea, are a decent size and most giving a patio table, two chairs and some also provide two sunbeds. After a day playing tourist there was no better terrace to enjoy a cold beer. We had a very relaxing week here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Foggy122
There are newer reviews for Bel Soggiorno Hotel

Reviewed 11 July 2014

I stayed here a few years ago, I meant to review it then and never did. I have no idea how it has weathered over the years but at the time I could not recommend it highly enough. Okay so there was no pool and the rooms are a bit basic, but the view from our balcony was out of this world. I honestly felt like we were the only people there. The next step from our balcony was the sea. Really lovely breakfast, within walking distance of the town, hands down one of the nicest boutique hotels I have stayed at with lovely staff. I have to say I stayed in aug 12 to submit the review but it was probably 3 years ago

Room Tip: Definitely get a balcony with a table
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RMGCG
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Just returned from a lovely relaxing week at the Bel Soggiorno. Can only confirm what others have already said this is a lovely small, friendly hotel with stunning views. Room was simple but perfectly adequate and was kept very clean with new towels daily. We did have a problem with the aircon on our first day but this was promptly dealt with. We had a lovely large terrace which is shared but well screened with plants to give privacy. Breakfast was fine for us with rolls, cheeses, meats, jams, cakes, cereals, yoghurts, juices etc in fact everything you could want unless you must have a cooked breakfast. It took us 10-15 minutes to saunter into the town and the steps really aren't a problem unless you have mobility or health issues. However there are lots of steps in the hotel itself so it may not suit everyone.
We loved Taormina and spent most of the week exploring the town and beach areas. We did the trip to Etna which we enjoyed and found far more interesting than Vesuvius. A great holiday finished off with a glass of wine on our last evening on the terrace watching Etna erupting!

Room Tip: Lower terrace rooms have a large terrace with table, chairs and two sun loungers plus a glorious sea...
1  Thank DRMTJ
Reviewed 10 July 2014

The terrace where breakfast is served, with its ironwork, ceramic table tops, and breathtaking view, would be enough to rate this hotel as "excellent". If you're after great comfort and luxury, this might not be the place for you. But if you're looking for southern hospitality and a beautiful historic palace in a magnificent setting, this hotel is where you should stay. My room was nicely furnished and spotless clean. I would go back to Bel Soggiorno any time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank annina_q
Reviewed 7 July 2014

The hotel is old school and that is a compliment.

The main reason to choose this hotel is the view.
There are views which are just stunning from every window in the hotel ( I think there may be one room that actually faces a wall but I never saw it allocated for use). Every bedroom had a sea view and some had really superb views of Etna.
If you didn't have an Etna view there was an excellent seating area below the tree which did have and this provided great entertainment in the second week of our stay as Etna put on a little display - awesome.

All the rooms we saw had a terrace or a balcony - the ones with a terrace are slightly more desirable. But hey ho its horses for courses others may prefer the balconies.

The Gardens although not extensive are attractive with lemon and lime trees and flowers everywhere. Very attractive.

Our room had two floors and air conditioning in both areas. The room could easily accommodate four although storage for two weeks would be a struggle. We had no complaints as we stayed as a couple. The bathroom is small and old fashioned but everything worked and was clean. The towels were changed daily.
Before we went we tried to check to see if the rooms had a safety deposit box. Be assured they have so worry not.
Other rooms we were able to look into although not as commodious were big enough and just as well appointed.
The Beds were very comfortable. My wife was concerned prior to our visit as others have complained of them being too firm. Although quite firm both of us slept very well each night and there were no shortage of pillows. Again housekeeping was excellent.

The Breakfast is typically directed towards the continental market in a buffet style - there were Germans, French and Italians staying as well as a few English, Scots, Welsh and Irish. We had no complaints as bread was fresh and meats, cakes and tomatoes rotated daily. If you want an English breakfast hard luck- holiday in England. They do serve a good cup of tea.

There is a "gala" dinner which the staff try to organise once a week. We attended the first week and its was well worth the price ( not especially cheap - nothing is in Italy). Carlo the Directore plays the piano (idiosyncratically) which he tones down for the Dinner but always entertaining. Luigi plays the guitar and sings - mostly Beatles covers which he claims as his own! And Sebastiano ( Thank You) never stops taking care of you. Just brilliant.

I loved the place - I was going to give it four stars just because there is no pool - but I've changed my mind as there is a taxi service to the local beach 8 euros each for Sunbed, Towels, Changing Rooms, Toilets, Small restaurant/bar (very clean) and nice grit/pebble beach with some snorkelling potential.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a terrace perhaps.
3  Thank Pknut
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We spent a week at the Bel Soggiorno. A hotel that offers nothing more than mid priced, friendly, clean and gentle surroundings. A throw back to a better time, and there's nothing wrong with that.

At first disappointed that we didn't get a room with a view of Etna, we quickly appreciated the lower room (40) gave us the privacy and quiet we enjoy. How often can you look at views of Etna, right? It was easy enough to walk a few yards to the terrace, with a glass of wine, to sit and watch Etna when we felt the need. And what a view!

But secluded in our own private patio, with sun beds and table\chairs, we had no one walking passed, as you would in the upper rooms. An orange tree outside the door (and they were the best oranges I have ever tasted), the fragrance of the rosemary bushes to welcome you back at the end of a long hot day. Sitting watching the sun go down over the sea. Bliss.

Room 40 appears to be one of the bigger rooms, with large flat-screen TV, sofa, dining table, large bath\shower room. Air con and safe, with none of the extra charges\deposits you will find at other hotels. Room cleaned, with fresh towels daily.

We found the continental breakfast reasonable, if limited. But we are English and not used to cake at 8 am! Still it was enough to start the day. On our first morning we had breakfast out on the terrace. A beautiful experience. As the waiter said (forgive me, I forget his name), it was "a little bit of Paradise, yes?". He was right.

Further afield - Taormina is a lovely town, only 10 minutes walk away (mostly up hill, but not difficult). Old traditions rub shoulders with the modern, and it works. No McDonalds or chain shops, thank goodness. Just very good, reasonably priced restaurants , bars and cafes. Everyone speaks perfect Engish and are so polite and helpful. A small heads-up. If you want bottled water, don't buy in the street shops, where you will pay around 2 Euros. Find the excellent supermarket at the far end of the town, and pay much less. While on the subject, most glace\ice cream shops charge 2 Euros for a basic tub. A place called C&D, near the supermarket is the very best, still charges 2 Euros, but include fresh chocolate from their fountain, and throw in a wafer too. It's the small touches that make it better.

10 minutes walk from the hotel is the Greek theatre. 8 Euros to get in. I didn't have a problem with that, except they were preparing for a concert that night, and parts were cordoned off. Still nice place to visit, and the views are stunning.

You can't visit Sicily and not go to the top of Etna (when she's not having a tantrum). Expensive, but a great experience. Please listen when they tell you to wear warm cloths and walking boots. At 3000 meters, it's staggering how many people were up there, freezing in skimpy tops, or hopping around in flip-flops on hot ash. You were warned folks!

The locals are unhappy that their beautiful country is always be associated with the mafia, when it has so much more to offer. I couldn't agree more. That said, the Godfather tour was very interesting, but you have to be comfortable on high roads. Ridiculously high. I have added a photo as an example!

I could easily go on.........and on........and on. I'll finish with this. We have spent every holiday for 40 years going "somewhere new." This is the first time we have agreed, we will go back next year. And that says it all for me.

Room Tip: Rooms 38 to 40 offer privacy, but no view of Etna. Instead you have the garden and sea view.
7  Thank ARC123186334
Reviewed 16 June 2014

There is no pool, there are no corporate chain hotel flags, no marble, no elevators...just fabulous hospitality - great for me- honestly! Loved the place, the fact that there are no frills; you just step back in time, possibly 50 years, to get a real feel of what Sicily is all about. You step out to the balcony and the view is breathtaking. Each day I looked out and thought..WOW!
The place is clean and the beds are comfortable. AC in all rooms with TV if necessary (!): I took two books and made my way through them, something I cannot do at home due to time pressures..internet, e mails, work.
Breakfasts are enjoyed in the fabulous restaurant. I have added a picture as well as a view from the balcony.
One night the was a dinner and entertainment provided by the owner (pianist) and Luigi (guitar & vocals) who works on reception. By the way Luigi is a character and a really nice guy. This was a great night. The food was not brilliant (chef sick at the time and food brought in) but we dined with people we met and the entertainment was just...just very entertaining!
There was a great arrangement with the Lido where they pick you up in a mini bus and bring you and back from the beach. Loungers and towels included! Great value. You won't walk back: trust me! Only 9 EURO per person!!
I am afraid I cannot remember the waiter who works the morning shift but he is worth a mention: what a hospitable guy and so friendly.
We were so luck to find this hotel as it was a fabulous base to explore the surrounding area and was a lovely place Taormina is: we will return!

Room Tip: Number 1 is probably the best for view but we had 39 which was a big room with sea views and orange...
6  Thank Relax911