We stayed at this hotel for 7 days, via Citalia Travel. Although the hotel is in a very convenient position, on entering it was obvious that the hotel had seen better days, with worn and threadbare carpets in the reception area and some public rooms. On being shown our alloted room we found the bedroom decor to be totally depressing, with sparse furnishings, dirty looking carpet and dusty furniture, and a distinctly unpleasant smell, which we think was coming from the kitchens below.
The bathroom was rather antiquated, with well worn fittings, and not overly clean. The main drainage port situated in the middle of the bathroom floor was blocked with debris, and had not been cleaned out for some time( who knows what unhealthy contents lurked within)! Minimum toiletries were provided, and consisted only of liquid soap, shower cap and small sewing kit. No shampoo, body lotion, conditioner, face cloths, or box of tissues were provided (which would be quite usual in a 4 -star rated hotel).
Breakfast was the same every morning with cheap cereals, tinned fruit, and no fresh fruit juices. There was an attempt to provide a cooked option, consisting of overcooked bacon and scrambled egg which did not look very appetising.
When we expressed a desire to find an alternative hotel we were informed that we would have to forfeit 3 days accommodation costs, plus the full cost of the accommodation in the alternative hotel !
Eventually, we had to pay another 210 Euros for a somewhat better room, which had a more pleasant feel to it.
The Pool area could have been very pleasant had they bothered to give it a thorough clean prior to the opening of the holiday season, with many of the sun loungers suffering from the effects of bird droppings that had not been removed.
Having paid for half board accommodation, we can say that the evening meals were good, if not exciting, but in order to get a full choice of the self -served buffet, and sweets, you had to be sure of being early into the dining room, as if you came in later there was a good chance that much of the food would have already been consumed, and we saw no evidence of staff replenishing those foods.
We are well aware that this hotel is old, and dates back to the early twentieth century, and that an effort has been made to retain some of its old world charm, but there is no excuse for not keeping up to required modern standards of decor and cleanliness.
On the whole the staff were good, and full marks to the barman, who was very friendly and efficient, however, it did prove to be quite disappointing, as we were expecting a somewhat better holiday experience.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Excelsior Palace Hotel even to day after more then one hundred years its building is considered one of the most appreciated hotel structure in Taormina.Its architecture draw its origin from a context cultural and natural,Greek,Roman and Medieval.The Excelsior Palace Hotel looks over one of the most beautiful wiew of the world:Etna and the Bay of Naxos, the Greek Theatre, and the immense space of the Jonian Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Ebookers, Priceline, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Agoda, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Excelsior Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Palace Taormina
- Hotel Excelsior Palace
- Excelsior Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily