We stayed at the Excelsior Palace between February 22nd and March 1st. The hotel is in a fabulous location with magnificent grounds (complete with an unheated outdoor swimming pool which would be great in summer) and fabulous views, but almost everything else about it was a big disappointment. The decor in all the guest rooms and public access rooms we saw was decidedly tired done in color combinations belonging to the early part of the last century, and lighting that required careful selection of seating if we wanted to read.
Accommodation included a buffet breakfast but this was a very sad affair - canned fruit, indifferent pastries, scrambled eggs that were NEVER warm let alone hot, and were not refreshed over periods as long as 11/2 hrs, luke warm coffee etc. Yes, we could have had toast and jam for breakfast but the self-serve toaster was archaic and succeeded in burning more toast than it browned. Service too was painfully slow - there was evidence of life in the kitchen area by virtue of the loud discussions going on behind closed doors but the staff made only rare forays into the dining room to serve patrons or to just check on the buffet. We were not courageous enough to see if the restaurant could have done better at lunch or dinner (their bar service wasn't) - there is too much competition even in winter-time Taormina.
The one bright spot was the front office, other than for a mix-up in our booking which in fairness may have been caused by a wholesaler our agent used rather than by the hotel. Staff were informative and polite and when we told them we were leaving at the end of our stay there to go to another hotel in the town, they helped us make all the arrangements for the transfer. Their recommendations for nearby restaurants also proved to be very sound and enabled us to enjoy some very good meals at reasonable prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Excelsior Palace Hotel even to day after more then one hundred years its building is considered one of the most appreciated hotel structure in Taormina.Its architecture draw its origin from a context cultural and natural,Greek,Roman and Medieval.The Excelsior Palace Hotel looks over one of the most beautiful wiew of the world:Etna and the Bay of Naxos, the Greek Theatre, and the immense space of the Jonian Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Excelsior Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Palace Taormina
- Hotel Excelsior Palace
- Excelsior Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily