Stay 1st June to 8th June, 2008
First of all the bad points:
1. The price of the drinks, and pool food and drinks expensive.
2. Only one warm container at breakfast with a small amount of scrambled eggs, bacon, and on alternate days frankfurter sausages. This was not checked to see if food was getting low and when it ran out had to ask to be re-stocked, and then only a small amount of bacon put in after a very long wait. This was not at the end of breakfast.
3. Dinner, quite nice, but not exceptional. Very few deserts were put out, and not enough to cater for everyone in the dining room. Therefore, had to resort to ice-cream.
4. Bedrooms 30 – 39 avoid at all costs – No 39 is only a short passageway away from the post-office. The others overlook what appears to be a building dump below.
5. Air-conditioning. On from 8 - 10.00 a.m. then 2 - 10 p.m. Who needs air-conditioning from 2 p.m. Most guests are not in the hotel until early evening. NO AIR-CONDITIONING at night. We complained about this but were given some weak excuse that guests did not want it on at night! Who are they kidding.
Be warned, in Taormina do not buy any drinks or food without knowing the price. A lot of bars/restaurants do not have prices on drinks lists or sometimes menus. Many people at our hotel were ripped off. One couple had 4 drinks £100! Another paid £6.50 for a Becks. Yes £s not Euros. There is a bar called Billy & Billy at the fountain at the Cathedral of San Nicola where the drinks are very cheap, and are served very nicely, and always with nuts, and then another drink later with some other pickies. We only found it on our last night which was a shame.
DO NOT change money in Taormina. We only got 1.14 Euros to the £ as they charge high commission. We could have got 1.22 at Marks & Spencers at home.
The staff are extremely helpful, and can’t do enough for you. I am not particularly fit, but did not find the walk down to the pool bad, as there are wide walkways in-between steps, so it was easy to sit down or just stop and take a look at the scenery. The pool area is lovely and very peaceful. Plenty of sun-loungers, chairs and small tables to put things on.
The hotel is in a very good position at the end of Corso Umberto, however, it is at the wrong end of Corso Umberto if you want to go on excursions as they go from the bus station, and the lift to the beach is also at the other end. I would say easily 25 minutes away.
We didn’t go on any trips as these mostly started from 6.30 – 7.30 a.m. and a couple didn’t return until after mid-night! When we asked different guests if they had enjoyed these they said no and that we hadn’t missed anything. Also guests were very critical of the Mafia trip (most people want to do this in Sicily) and said it was a waste of time. Concerning excursions, it is probably more convenient to hire a car for a couple of days.
Taormina is lovely but very restrictive as it is impossible to walk down to the beach due to the length of time it would take and the danger of the traffic. Everyone seemed to agree that one week was enough.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Excelsior Palace Hotel even to day after more then one hundred years its building is considered one of the most appreciated hotel structure in Taormina.Its architecture draw its origin from a context cultural and natural,Greek,Roman and Medieval.The Excelsior Palace Hotel looks over one of the most beautiful wiew of the world:Etna and the Bay of Naxos, the Greek Theatre, and the immense space of the Jonian Sea. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Splitty, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Ebookers, HotelQuickly, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Excelsior Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Excelsior Palace Taormina
- Hotel Excelsior Palace
- Excelsior Palace Hotel Taormina, Sicily