“Holiday in Taormina”
Review of Hotel Isabella

Hotel Isabella
Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I can totally recommend Hotel Isabella in Taormina. We stayed B&B - Sept 30 to October 5, 2013.

The location is perfect for all the attractions and the hotel offers a link with a 'sister' hotel, so for 4 Euros, you are offered daily transport to a private beach, a sun bed, umbrella and towel.

The rooms are good value for money and in keeping with a 3 star facility. Breakfast is taken on a wonderful terrace that commands and outstanding view or in a well appointed basement depanding of the season.

The staff are very pleasant and take care of all you may need.

Travellers need to know that the civic authorities now charge each tourist 1.5 Euros per night for a green tax to support the upkeep of the town.

Public transport is efficient and regularly available between Catania airport and Taormina for 7.90 Euros one way.The bus terminal is 100 meters from the hotel.

I would not hesitate to return here.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tarwelaan

Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stayed at the hotel Isabella for 2 nights late August and did not like it. While the location is convenient (right on Corso Umberto), it is very noisy. It smells funny. You smell it the minute you open the door.
Our bathroom was so small I first thought the toilet was outside...until I discovered it was actually hidden behind the door of the bathroom (you have to get in, close the door and then you see it). The room did not smell good. The covers were dirty (bad smell). We asked for some clean one, same smell. Staff was not very nice.

The rooms could use fresh paint.

At check-in we were asked to leave our ID cards. When we came back, after 30+ minutes, they still were not done with them (there was no one else checking in), they asked us to leave them there until they were done with them, suggesting we go out without any form of identification.

Breakfast selection is probably one of the worst I have ever tried. Artificial/chemical fruit juice. Not a varied selection.

I would definitely not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed in Taormina Sept. 6, 2013 at the Hotel Isabella. This has to be the best vacation stop we have ever experienced, the location was great and the staff were so very helpful in every way possible. We had the opportunity to do the God Father Tour and also the Mount Etna. Absolutely amazing, it is full of history and the view takes your breath away. Breakfast at the Hotel was on the upper terrace where you could see the beauty of Taormina for miles, the room was great and it also have a elevator for moving luggage.

Room Tip: The room we had was on the 4th floor, very very clean. They also shuttle you to their beach. There w...
2  Thank Norman C
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Location is in the heart of the tourist shopping area and very near the congress center. View from the breakfast area on roof top is great. Has umbrella for loan at reception. Has wifi (paid) but only at ground floor. However, after comparing 4 other hotels in Italy of the same grade which I have stayed in, this is worst in my opinion.
1. Building is structurally problematic and leaks when raining, even though we are not on top floor. The water emerges from the top of the wardrobe and splashed down on the uncarpeted floor in front of the wardrobe.
2. The hotel is severely understaffed. For most of the day there is only one person at the reception or in the hotel. In the morning there is one more at the breakfast service. Most of the time there is no technical staff to attend to problems such as break downs in pipes and amenities and no housekeeping staff. Hot drinking water is not available outside breakfast hours. A kettle is not available on loan.
3. There are severe breakdowns in communication, showing that staff demonstrates little consideration for some aspects important to the guests. The reception claimed we can get a receipt for the taxi transfer of 105 euros from the driver if we pay at the reception but this is not true. For the mount etna tour, the receptionist claims we can pay for the cable car and jeep at the location but did not inform us it would be 5 euros more than if we paid at the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Louistht
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Subject: SimpleBooking.it – HOTEL ISABELLA .Booking Confirmation - 20130627781919

As seen in these chain mails, I reserved by simplebooking.it my stay at the Hotel Isabella from 8 to September 10, 2013.
I want to express my criticism constructively. Taormina is the "pearl of Sicily". Upon arriving at the hotel I was given a very small room. The air conditioning did not work properly and the TV either. I asked for room change and they was told me that I had contracted by simplebooking.it and therefore had that room.No was agreed to my request.
When I left, the elevator did not work and we had to go down three floors handedly our luggage without any assistance.
I think if you access a certain price on the web, you must be warned that simplebooking.it one has accessed the worst room in the hotel. Without view, super small and without air conditioning. Then one can "decide before" if took specific booking, or changing room or hotel. The Hotel website differs greatly from what you have then, when already there, had paid and you had no option to change.
I would like to hear from you comments about my complaint
Best Regards
Mariano Spinosa

Room Tip: Be sure that the room is good.
2  Thank Mariano S
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A lovely little hotel on the main street of Taormina, excellent position for all shops and restaurants. The staff at this hotel are all very helpful and friendly and the standard of breakfast for a 3star hotel is excellent. The rooms are kept spotlessly clean by very good cleaning staff. Roof top terrace commands wonderful views whilst eating breakfast. Will certainly return!

Room Tip: Choose a room at the rear of the hotel with a balcony for peace quiet and wonderful views across the...
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed in the hotel while attending a work conference nearby. Staff were all fantastic and the hotel is located in the heart of the town near many restaurants and shops.

The hotel's best feature was without doubt the roof top breakfast served every morning with stunning views over Mount Etna and Eastern Sicily.

My only problem was that being so close to the main street meant that sometimes I was woken up in the middle of the night by loud people outside.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms face the Eastern (sea) side!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business