“Great Central Hotel”
Review of Hotel Isabella

Hotel Isabella
Ranked #53 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We visited this Hotel for a week in January 2014. There were 5 of us in two rooms. Rooms were comfortable and clean. Free Wi-Fi in the reception area kept the teenagers happy. Very central location on the Corso close to shops and lots of restaurants. Great breakfast. Staff were very helpful.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Angela M

Reviewed 8 January 2014

My husband and I were in Taormina for 3 days in December to attend some friends' wedding. We stayed at Hotel Isabella. Our luggage was lost, so we spent the next day running around to find some clothes to wear for the wedding.

I was surprised that we couldn't get internet in our room and had to pay for it. We had to go down to the restaurant or reception to log in. In this age most hotels offer complimentary internet, even in developing countries. Also, in winter it would have been nice to be able to make some tea or coffee in the room. I also struggled to check myself in the mirror while dressing because the TV was positioned right in front of the mirror. The TV is a flat screen so it can easily be mounted on the wall.

Otherwise its a lovely hotel, centrally located and staff were pleasant.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kutloano L
Reviewed 20 November 2013

The Isobella Hotel is situated on the Corso Umberto right in the heart of Taormina, if arriving by bus it's about a 12 minute walk up from the bus station, alternatively if you are arriving by train the station is down on the coast road, it's a 15 Euro taxi fare up to the town or you can catch the local bus right outside the main door of the station and these run approx every 30 minutes and the fare is 1 Euro.
While staying at the Isobella Hotel I had a Superior room which was at the back of the Hotel, my room was excellent with a large double (Queen Size) bed, a nice bathroom, television (limited channels) mini bar. The room was very tastefully decorated, as indeed was the whole hotel, there was also a small balcony with a table and chairs with views over the rooftops to the sea and with the Teatro Greco over to the left.
From the small smart looking reception you pass a small lift (elevator) on your right and then down a few steps and there is a very nice lounge area, sofas, armchairs etc (see pictures). Breakfast is taken on the lower floor (-1) which also has a small lounge area at the back so after breakfast you can sit and relax if you wish.
Breakfast really did have an excellent selection, I have read a couple of reviews, one on Tripadvisor, where people have stated that the breakfast was very poor. Well all I can say is that the breakfast on offer at the Isobella consisted of a choice of cereals, cheeses, meats, fresh fruit, tinned fruit, breads, croissants, rolls, fruit juices, cakes, fruit cakes, quails eggs, cherry tomatoes, jams, honey etc, etc it just goes on and all this is laid out on 2 x 4 metre tables and I can honestly say that nothing and I mean nothing was duplicated across the tables (see picture) I cannot, in anyway, see how anyone can say that this is a poor breakfast.
There is also a roof terrace looking out over the rooftops to the sea and across to Mount Etna, the tables and chairs where not set out when I stayed but being November I am not really surprised. Also there was no evening meals but truthfully the choice of restaurants in Taormina is staggering so there is little chance of any problems on that front unless you are visiting around January/February when a large number close for their annual break.
I have been very lucky to have seen a fair bit, over 100 cities (please see my profile to confirm) and stayed in all sorts of places, but I can honestly say that I have stayed in many 4 star hotels around this world that were nowhere near as comfortable or as nice as the 3 star Isobella.

Would I recommended this hotel................... Without a shadow of a doubt, my stay was excellent !

Chris Leavy.
Independent Traveller.
With 3 credits in The Rough Guide Travel Books.
(France, Turkey and China)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank ItsLeavy
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I, together with another couple, have just returned from our stay in Sicily. We booked a sea view room for one night at the Isabella Hotel. The room itself was very pretty if somewhat small for the high price we paid...but the bathroom was unbelievably tiny! We are both quite thin, but even so, we could hardly move around in the tiny space called a bathroom, and the shower was ridiculous. Definitely the smallest bathroom I have ever stayed in. But the cherry on the cake was the double bed. It was actually two beds placed together...and this, together with the highly-polished parquet flooring was certainly the perfect recipe for disaster! Not only were the mattresses hopeless, but they also sagged in the middle, so my poor husband ended up on the floor in the middle of the night when the beds moved apart.......Quite funny actually if it wasn't maddening! The bedspread was also threadbare. This hotel definitely needs an overhaul.
Yes, we always remember this hotel...but for the wrong reasons!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Cachia
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I would not go back to the Isabella Hotel for the following reasons:

There was a fee for internet and it was only available in the lobby
No English speaking TV stations....
No mean's for making coffee/tea early/late.

NOISY Location

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank beepo531
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This hotel was recommended by my travel agent, and seemed to have ok reviews, but in truth, it was one of the worst places I stayed during a trip around europe.

They claim to have ocean views, so I requested this when booking - it seems there really are no ocean views worth speaking of - we were overlooking the backyards of several local residents, and only saw a tiny hint of ocean in between buildings. The complimentary breakfast claims online to have eggs and bacon, but when we were there there was none - it was slim pickings really, canned peach, bread, yogurt, cereal, horrid cheap juice..... Plus it is outdoors, and infested with filthy pidgeons, that get onto the table and peck at the bread and other food when no-one is looking - disgusting!!!! Im suprised people dont get sick from being exposed to pidgeon germs all over the food.........

There were shutters on the windows that made a terrible loud noise like an earthquake when opening/closing - which some annoying guests liked to open/close at 5am in the morning, waking up everyone nearby - this happened every day.

The shower was so tiny that my husband could barely fit in - and even me, being very slim and small, found it very difficult and uncomfortable to shower. The worst thing was that our bathroom stank of pee, it was so bad it permeated the whole room, and it smelled like a public latrine - I repeatedly asked for the smell to be addressed, but it was not, and continued to stink for the entire 7 day stay - often I would dry-retch and nearly vomit because the smell was so disgusting!!!

The most annoying thing was when we arrived, and I went down to the front desk to retrieve our passports, which they took for copies on arrival. The girl at the front desk was serving someone else, so I took a seat and waited. Another couple came just as that person was finished, and the girl at front desk proceeded to assist them, even though she knew I had been waiting. She proceeded to serve that couple for 50 minutes while I sat there waiting, for by then an HOUR.... My husband came down to see what was taking so long, he only expected me to be gone for 5 mins. The girl at front desk pretended nothing was wrong..... Really rude and annoying..

Dont stay here!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CaughtBriEye
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I enjoyed everything about our stay at Hotel Isabella. Our room was fairly spacious and clean, and we had access to a terrace that we shared with two other rooms. The breakfast on the terrace each morning was lovely. The staff at the hotel very pleasant and very helpful. Everyone from the front desk, to the breakfast area to the cleaning staff were happy to accommodate any and all requests. The special breakfast room with a piece of Roman wall is not to be missed! The location of the hotel, which is on the main street of Taormina, is very convenient. I would highly recommend Hotel Isabella.

Room Tip: Our room was located at the back of the hotel and was very quiet. If you face Corso Umberto the roo...