“old world glamour!”

Ranked #76 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Valletta, Malta
“old world glamour!”
Reviewed 15 June 2011

I took my mum for a weekend break to Taormina and we were very pleasantly surprised with this hotel. The location is excellent (close to Excelsior Palace and San Domenico hotels), the view from the terraces magical and the swimming pool feels set in the clouds. Decor is moorish/baroque villa style and the gardens seem to hang down towards the sea.
The staff (cleaning/pool/b'fast) were all very approachable and I have to thank Sonia at reception for her kind advice and availability, especially since it was the busy weekend of the Taormina FilmFest.
The property keeps its antique charm in aspects, so do take or ask for multiple plugs to attach appliances in the room. A room on the terraces is wonderful but being in the midst of greenery, do make use of the airconditioning at night and/or mosquito repellent.
Truly a good way to start your stay in Taormina!

Room Tip: ask for a terrace :)
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank kxuereb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Island of Malta, Malta
Reviewed 14 June 2011

We had originally planned to stay at the Bristol Park Hotel, but were told it was closed for renovations and that we could try their sister hotel Villa Riis. Arrived at the hotel just after 1pm and the room was ready, The receptionist - a lovely lady called Sonia, had been most helpful in my booking and arrangements and had given us an upgrade to a top floor room with a wonderful terrace and views to die for. That is why people go to Taormina, for the views. The hotel itself was lovely - oldie worldly, exactly what we wanted -very Venetian (dare I say it), silk wallpapers, antique furniture beautiful chandeliers absolutely gorgeous, and the pool area was an absolute haven of peace and tranquillity and so picturesque and quiet. The hotel location is perfect- 1 minute to the main pedestrian street, and yet completely tranquil and serene, like in your own world away from it all. Another point, apparently the hotel was fully booked because of the film festival, and yet we hardly saw anyone and it felt as if we had the whole place to ourselves. There were also two wonderful waiters, from Sri Lanka who really couldn't do enough for you and though perhaps the hotel was a little understaffed the service was prompt. My only criticisms for a four star hotel - they did not have an iron and ironing board anywhere on the premises, so ladies, make sure you take one or do it all before you go, and the bathroom amenities i.e. shower gel etc were severely lacking, nd the buffet breakfast was very limited and the juices were not fresh and full of sugar, but if you can live with that I highly recommend this hotel for romance, beauty, location for the price – not cheap but reasonable, especially for the location.

Room Tip: try to get a room on the fourth floor
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foodfalcon
London
Reviewed 28 October 2009

Hotel Villa Riis was a great hotel with great character. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly and the location was perfect. With just a short walk to the main street and a brilliant seaview and balcony surely you cant go wrong? The rooms were comfortable and great value for money and the breakfast perfectly layed out with a large choice. I wish i could make scrabled egg that well. The pool great and half the time we had it to ourselves and the staff on hand took our drinks orders to us. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
Lancashire
Reviewed 23 September 2009

After reading some of the negative reviews on here I was pleasantly surprised with how good this Hotel is. Location cannot get any better. Taormina has a long pedestrianised street running the whole length of the town and this Hotel is at one end (the quiet end) literally seconds walk from the hotel and you are on it. Yet our room overlooked a small forest and the sea. There was no noise. The staff were extremely friendly and courteous, the hotel was clean the food was good - a simple continental breakfast. They have a very good gym, yes it has a small leak. The pool is a good size, secluded and the tennis court is excellent. We upgraded to a better room with A/C and a balcony. Yes the decor is a more traditional style but it was far from some of the comments on here and very much in keeping with Sicily. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone and I would definitely stay anywhere else.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 3 September 2009

long way away from bus and cable car/ beaches. shabby looking room with broken plaster and dirty walls. pillows tatty and brown with lots of stains. poor quality furniture. bathroom wall unfinished, revealing the concrete, small and inadequate shower and curtain. tiles are not nonslip and therefore hazardous. breakfast a shamble, cheap soft drinks tasting a medicine. everyday the same plastic ham, cheese and salami. had boiled eggs that were so old that the bottom was black and smelling of sulphur. waiter nonchalantly took it away, leaving the rest of eggs in the bowl. 3 days later similar situation. pool railings missing bolt to floor, deck chair covers ripped and worned out. the gym below flooded ceiling is down in places, mold and mildrew covers the walls. no toilet seat in the loo. poorly marketed food by the pool. most of staff pleasant and helpful

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank trojantraveller33

Travellers are raving about these Taormina hotels

London, UK
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I know it is sometime since I stayed here it was truly dire. The room was old, and needed to be totally refurbished, the bathroom was fallling apart and the breakfast was sad. It was in a good location, but that is the only thing going for it - it really did need to be totally renovated. OK the hotel cannot be blamed for storms, but a 24 hour power cut afterwards, when teh rest of Taormina was ok is atrocious and to cap it all, they said that they had been able to put through my payment because of the power cut, my mother paid cash and then I discovered that it had been put through on my card. I wrote to them a number of times which they totally ignored so I ended up paying twice for a diabolical stay - this is dreadful. There were some nice people staying there and we sat up til 4am in a candelit room drinking marsala out of paper cups, best part of the stay at the Villa Riis, but it had NOTHING to do with them. Taormina is lovely, but avoid this place.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank Lots66
West Sussex
Reviewed 30 June 2009

My friend and I have just returned from Taormina and had the misfortune of staying at the Villa Riis. I did read the comments on here before I booked but as there seemed to be a mixture of comments I thought perhaps it had improved after the "refurbishment" some had talked about..
However, on arrival we were greeted by a very unfriendly man who we later found out was the owner. We were not given a sea view room as we had expected, their website does say that all rooms face the sea but not the case. We did ask to change but he told us we would have to pay another 58 euros per night even though we had already booked sea view. The whole of our floor remained empty during the week we were there. Our room was dark and dingy and not room to swing a cat. The electric sockets were unbelievable, each time we plugged something into them and then removed the plug the whole socket came out of the wall leaving the wires hanging out (this was for all the sockets not just one).
The room could not have been refurbished in anytime in the last 15 years I would have thought.
Their website also states that it has a happy hour in the bar, this was never open in the whole week. The gym was also locked as it is located under the swimming pool and apparently has a leak.
The breakfast was fine and the other members of staff friendly and helpful.
On returning home I had to wash everything that I had taken with me even clothes I hadn't worn as they all smelt strongly of the old wooden wardrobe they had been kept in for the week.
I really do wonder where they got the 4* from as in the Uk you would have given it 2*
Also, they want to sting you for 10 euros a night for parking if you are considering hire car.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends