“Perfect Location for a relaxing holiday”
Review of La Plage Resort

La Plage Resort
Ranked #44 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We visited La Plage with another couple, we arrived late (thank you French ATC), but were made extremely welcome on arrival. We were given a glass of fizz, while reception did the necessary paperwork (in Italy for example passports have to be copied), and by the time this was completed our bags had already been delivered to our rooms. We were both booked into rooms that did not have sea views, and personally I think this was the correct option. We were on the beach most of the day, so a view first thing in the morning and last thing at night may not be the best option. Both "rooms" being circular bungalows were big enough (21 sq metres) - not if you were staying there on business but certainly for a holiday resort. There is a very large comfortable bed, and a good sized bathroom (only shower). The rooms are clean, air conditioned and the towels are changed morning and evening (which is really good for a beach hotel). There is free WiFi throughout the hotel (something others might learn from) - having said that sometime we could connect to the WiFi but there did not seem to be a broadband connection! Nevertheless the WiFi and broadband worked well in reception if you were in the hurry.

The restaurant services good quality food and about the same price as other restaurants in Taormina. The bar on the beach sells excellent cocktails (at a price) and in the evening good "little eats" with the drinks.

Breakfast was outside in a dedicated area, and there was an excellent choice with eggs cooked to order, lots of fresh fruit, breads etc. This set us up for the remainder of the day.

The beach does not have sand, so beach shoes are essential. Sunbeds are plentiful and towels provided by Hamza (as previously noted nothing seem too much trouble for him).

Now onto the issue of the railway line. Yes there is a railway line that backs directly onto the hotel site - there is no denying it, so if you want a holiday without any noise, then this is not a hotel for you, but I consider myself a light sleeper and our room was close to the line and I can honestly say I was not woken by it, so I do not consider an issue and a small price to pay for an excellent hotel, in a great location, with direct beach access, and great staff.

Would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Manny-C

Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had one of the best bunglows at the hotel room 222 with a price to match but it was something we did not regret. From our large garden area we had a great view of the beach and surrounding areas and very private eventhough wre were next to the area where you dine for breakfast.Overall cannot fault any aspect of this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms seem similar in size but some with more area outside for lazing around and of course views...
Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kateleine
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I must admit I was also worried about some of the previous reviews but I found totally the opposite.
We had the hotel pick us up from the airport which was very swift and efficient, we arrived the young baggage boy was miserable didn't smile and a bit off I put it down to hormones but who knows!...this was actually the only negative and La Plage I would seriously consider a different baggage person as first contact on arrival it can give totally the wrong impression.
We were introduced to the a lady who checked us in very very pleasant and welcoming we were given a glass of fizz and sat over looking the beach.
Our bungalow in the grounds had a hot tub I thought the size was perfect who needs a huge room when you have so much to see, very modern fittings the shower pressure a little low but not an issue.
Our bungalow was next to the restaurant and no noise or issues at all.
The restaurant was superb excellent food very friendly staff
The beach lovely yes lots of Asian ladies offering massages and I actually had a 30mins back massage I've had lots of massages all over the world it was excellent very thorough they know what there are doing, now the hotel tries to put you off using them they have notices saying due to hygiene and untrained massages I think the hotel has it's own spa that's why they are not keen and I did need to move off the hotel section of the beach to have to massage but it was great.
The train comes past which was lovely to see while on the beach noise not an issue and didn't hear any trains at night.
The breakfast excellent great location lots of choice could not fault it.
Easy reach to the cable car a 10min walk up some steps very convenient.
I will defiantly be returning we had a lovely break.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UniqueNolan
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Having read some slightly negative reviews of La Plage, we didn't really know what to expect but from the time we arrived, to our last day there, we could not fault the place. We stayed in one of the beach bungalow whichs was a little like a tardis and very stylish in a boutique hotel kind of way. It was cleaned and towels/robes were changed twice daily without fail - we were even left little foodie goodies on our pillows in the evening.

The garden area of our bungalow could have been a little tidier I guess… the grassed area was patchy and a bit dirty to walk over. The jacuzzi was great although I didn't use it as much as my partner.

The Fusion restaurant was just incredible! Wish I'd had a photo of it to share…it was perfection and I eat out a lot! We ate there on our first night and even though we were tired after our journey (hadn't slept the night before due to travelling) and said we'd only have a light supper and an early night (famous last words), we ended up going completely overboard with food and wine and Andrea, the maitre'd was so incredibly professional and friendly and knew exactly just how attentive to be without being in your face all the time. He was incredible. We had the most fun evening in this very sexy contemporary restaurant.. .decor all blue and white with outdoor heaters (it was a little cool on our first evening). If you care about things like music, the theme was Cafe Del Mar… all very cool.
Taormina town is very stylish with many many gorgeous clothes and shoe shops as well as cafes and bars galore. A few tacky tourist trinket places but not too many. As we travelled out there at the beginning of the season it wasn't too busy and so the vibe was good and very friendly. At the end of our week it started to get busy there and so even though we sacrificed warmer weather, it was just busy enough to create atmosphere without feeling crowded with stressed out shop owners and tired (possibly exhausted and rude) waiters.
On our last full day there we drove up to Barone Di Villagrande, a Winery in the central Mt Etna region. We called first to make an appointment but only a day before…. i guess if you go in the busier months you'd need to book more in advance. Again, this place reminded me of a set from some beautifully stylised foreign movie. I was expecting something a bit 'touristy' but no …. exquisite!

We enquired as to whether we could have a little lunch as we noticed they had a restaurant. We sat outside overlooking the terraces of vines in the distance and were greeted with a plate of antipasti. Every mouthful was a sensual experience… not kidding. Then a waitress came out with what was the first glass of wine and a detailed explanation of the grape that would accompany our starter. We thought that was all we were having until another dish of food came out.. this time the pasta course…. and then a meat course which I just couldn't fit in… I was so full.
They have beautiful accommodation and so I'd like to stay there for a couple of nights if I return….. and maybe check out the other wineries as well.
We didn't get to see Syracuse but it is supposed to be well worth a visit and so yes, i think another trip out there but to do a bit more touring, would be a fun thing to do.
However… for this review… I give La Plage Resort top score. Yes, we were very 'loved up' as it was our first holiday together, but even if I'd visited with friends I'd have given the same rating. First class! The service throughout the resort was impeccable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Heather B
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Overall we really enjoyed our visit. The hotel is situated next to a railway and there are times you can hear it but the view over isola bella is beautiful. It is a public beach but the hotel has its own sun loungers. The hotel grounds are well kept and set out to make the most of the space and warm weather as most the dining areas are outside. We found everywhere to be clean and tidy and the jasmine smelt lovely. The hotel is around 30 mins brisk steep uphill walk from the beach to town or a 3 euro cable car ride. We took our car once but parkings a pain (parking at hotel is fine).

Our round chalet was really sweet and spotless; housekeeping did an excellent job. The chalets are close together but that didn't bother us and are also designed for hot weather so no heat on a chilly night wasn't ideal! We eventually got a heater. We also found wifi patchy and it didn't work in the rooms which was a shame.

We found the staff were helpful and friendly; Laura on reception was fantastic, she did a great job helping us plan our trips when we lost our guide book.

Breakfast had a good choice, the omelettes and cooked tomatoes were perfect. We ate a number of times at the restaurant as it was easy after a long day out. In general the food was pretty good, comparable in price to the places we ate in town although 5€ for a small beer seemed a bit steep.

Beware there are some vicious mosquitos so take a repellant!
The hotel has a lot going for it, I would happily go back.

• Stayed: May 2014
5  Thank Platypusandcharlie
Reviewed 21 May 2014

The hotel is a 45min car drive from Catania airport. The entrance to the hotel under a railway line (this runs along the perimeter of the hotel, and although busy is not obtrusive) is unusual, but once inside the hotel soon forgotten about. The hotel grounds are long and thin, hugging the pebbly beach with fantastic views across the small bay to the an island (Isla Bella approached via a natural causeway). The rooms are smallish wooden villas mostly with tiny gardens and hot tubs, and have been cleverly screened and laid out to provide a good degree of privacy. The rooms although small are well appointed and maintained, generally possessing a good level of comfort and style.
In the main, the staff were friendly and provided a good level of professional service (did not apply to the luggage guy who was a little brusque). Access to the public beach was easy and basic sunbed facilities were provided and during season a small bar and restaurant (not set up at time of writing late May). Unfortunately, some time spent chasing off various beach vendors and Chinese foot massage artistes! The breakfast terrace and service is excellent, whilst the formal restaurant situated outside under cover, provided first class if expensive meals, both with terrific waterside views set in the well manicured gardens.
In all this hotel provides a high level of experience, minor niggles are poor internet cover and difficult foot access for elderly or disabled
The hotel is a 15 Euro ride up the hill to Taormina, with the cable car a good walk up a steep flight of steps.

Room Tip: It appeared that all rooms above 200 had gardens and independent villas
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cliveratnagiri
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Before going I read some of the other reviews and started to worry. I needn't have worried at all. From arriving (which was well sign posted on the road) the immediate greeting was lovely. You are asked to relax (with prosseco) while they check you in and take your bags. The view is stunning and one you'll enjoy all holiday. We had a bungalow, no jacuzzi, yes they are small but what else do you need in there? It's no smaller that a standard hotel room really and I loved the unusualness of it. The hotels restaurant and drinks are pricier than the snack bars, you sign for everything and pay at the end, which bear in mind came as a slight shock on our departure when we realised how much everything had added up!!! Not a single person there was ever rude or unhelpful. No matter what job they did I felt like they personally wanted me to have a lovely stay and that we did. Breakfast sat outside on the terrace overlooking the Isola bella with a freshly squeezed orange juice is why it's worth paying slightly more to stay here than somewhere else! The beach is private and Hamza who looked after the beach was amazing, knew to leave you in total peace, but seemed to be there just as you needed him. The only annoying thing is the Taiwan ladies constantly asking you if you want a massage but they soon got the message. We often had lunch at the next snack bar on the beach which was a bit cheaper but when you eat in the restaurant you really are paying for the quality, the bread here is freshly made for you and brought out warm and service that feels personal for you. I could have worried that being 5* I would have felt out of place it that it be pretentious in some ways but it wasn't. I felt like I was made to be special the whole time but everyone had a personality too. It's totally stunning, very romantic and we stayed there for 10 days. As everyone else says the the cable cars as as they write and the best way to get into Taormina where you then have lots of options for the rest of your activities.

I'd definitely go again, the place has become very special to me and I adored it. Enjoy"

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple