“Good location but average”
Review of Vello D'Oro Hotel

Vello D'Oro Hotel
Ranked #75 of 88 Hotels in Taormina
Belgium
“Good location but average”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I've stayed a week in Velo d'oro,the main positive thing is that it is perfectly located,when you get down the stairs you're right in casa umberto.

The room they have given us was queit dated,very old furnitere en a nasty looking bath.

The view was a little bit disapointing,we faced only on a Sicilian family's backyard, no see view at all.

Reception staff was not that friendly, i'm working myself as a hotelreceptionist and I didn't found it a very warm welcome.

Breakfast was average, the positive point was that you could take it with you at the sunny terrace.
Staff who served breakfast were at the other hand very nice and helpfull.

What was really nice was the top terrace, it had an amazing view on the lower side of taormina,the ocean and the Etna, at night it was breath taking.

The negative point was that I mostly missed a swimpool, they don't have it over there.

When you go down with the stairs from velo d'Oro you run into Romeo and Juliet, a nice bar with nice music, people constantly dancing, a very good atmosphere.

Velo d'oro is good for the price, but it it is just not that amazing.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Hannelore L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
Sliema, Malta
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I'd love to give this hotel a better review. The staff and service were very good, breakfast was decent as well as the end of year 'cenone'. The hotel has rooms with views that range from magnificent to good. It has the potential to be above the 'no frills' category. However the lingering memories are the lack of WIFI. availability in rooms (WIFI in the Bar on the top floor only) the non availability of cell phone connection adapters, awkward parking facilities and bathrooms (clean but smelling stale) are due for refurbishment (maybe this is not applicable to all rooms). It was also awkward watching TV in the room. It was a very small old model that was fixed so high up the wall that watching was literally a pain in the neck. Instead of a double bed we had two single beds near each other but with separate sheets and blankets. The room was directly above a narrow street dominated by a restaurant with outsides facilities plus music that went on till eleven in the night. This meant that trying to sleep before that time was a next to impossible. The Vello D'oro has a lot of potential waiting to be exploited. The biggest plus is the staff and the level of service. Good luck.

Room Tip: The rooms with full sea view are more spacious than the ones on the side. Some of the former appear...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisleadam
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 12 October 2013

A very cold reception when we arrived. We were given our room and found that it had a double bed instead of twin beds, so I went back to reception to see if it could be rectified....I was quite prepared to remake the beds myself with single sheets, but was told every thing was locked up!

Eventually, after much debate, we were given a second room for the night and our room would be sorted in the morning, which it was. The room was basic and had the smallest shower room ever.....and the smell was overwhelming. We endured it for a full week.

On the plus side, the staff in the bar and restaurant were excellent, very friendly and helpful, the location was great with stunning views, and the Wi-Fi - only available in the bar and terrace area of the 5th floor - was very strong, BUT I won't be going back.

Room Tip: Ask for a LARGE room, as some are very small with little space on each side of the bed.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Margaret M

Travellers are raving about these Taormina hotels

Sweden
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I stayed at Vello D'Oro for 2 weeks - in room 311, to be precise. The room is somewhat on the small side and the bathroom even more so, but nevertheless, this is one of the hotels I'll remember as on of the nicest ones I've ever stayed at.

And one of the reasons is obvious. I had a balcony with a spectacular view. On my left hand side I saw the amphitheatre. On my right hand side was Etna. And right in front of me I had a full view of the ocean.

Hotel Vello D'Oro is a kind of quirky building, built in what I perceive is some kind of art deco style. I have actually never seen anything quite like it. The hotel is wellkept and the staff very friendly. Wi Fi is only accessible on the roofterrace, where the bar is located, but you don't have to order a drink if you don't feel like it - and should you feel like hanging around with your computer after the bar has closed, that's OK.

And the hotelcat is very nice, too.

Room Tip: do go for a room with full seaview!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
Catanzaro Lido, Italy
Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

The location is very central and the near stairs take you down to the main road of Taormina.
The view from the fourth floor is amazing! The rooms are tidy and clean, but you need to
be lucky because you may end up in a very small room for the same price of a big one.
We got a room with a balcony and comfortable seats to relax onto outside, and a very big shower!
However, to arrive by car is a nightmare, the hotel is on a one way street and if you arrive from
the top you cannot go down. The hotel car park has only 5 places, we didn't know and we didn't find any free place.
We had to leave the car in an expensive car park!

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank gm75cz
Reviewed 16 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst travelling through Sicily, although a little difficult to get there by car (really narrow tight roads) parking could be a problem advise to request it, we were very lucky we got a space outside the hotel, Free, usually charge 10 euro a day,

The views of Taormina were spectacular rooms plain but very clean. Taormina overall very expensive compared to the rest of Sicily, would we go again probably, but not overnight

• Stayed July 2013
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 18 June 2013

【About the room】
The sea view is incredible. Room is very big, clean and tidy. The design of the room is very good too, from my point of view. They use white as the main color, as well as some blue and yellow to make the room perfectly matched to the sea&sky view. The small balcony is also good. Very comfortable stay.

【Location】
It will be a little bit hard to find the hotel at the first time since the main entrance is behind the shopping street (corso umberto). Once you know the location, you will find it good because you can easily go to corso umberto by going down to level 1 of the hotel where there is a small exit.

【Service】
There was one thing really impressed me during the stay. The cleaning lady really cleaned the room (everyday of course) so carefully. Once I left my room for breakfast, I opened the window a bit for ventilation. After I came back, I realized everything was SO organized. My slippers were in a good position. Bed was so tidy. Shampoo bottles were nicely placed...and the window was closed to prevent someone/some animal to come in. I just opened a really small gap and she discovered that and helped me to close it. wow!

The man at the bar (located at the 5th level) was also friendly. I went to the bar quite often, just because I wanted to access the WiFi. The man always give a warm greeting even he knew I didn't come to drink. I saw him played with kids came along with the customers. Impressive.

【Some more】
There are many paintings in this hotel. It's a good idea to look around.
The bar is located at the highest level of the hotel, thus offering an excellent view to the sea.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo