“Just gorgeous”

Ranked #6 of 87 Hotels in Taormina
Knaresborough
“Just gorgeous”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Hotel Villa Angela will appeal to the discerning traveller who appreciates tranquility and relaxation away from the mainstream tourist track. The more time you spend here the more you will connect with this side of the mountain, the view, the atmosphere and the freshness of your location. The team that run the hotel are second to none and the facilities and food on offer are exquisite.
The location of this hotel in this town is superb - It's up the hill and away from the centre and is much the better for it. Should you wish to visit Taormina you must consider this hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Leonboxer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Just back from the most enjoyable holiday at Villa Angela. It was our first time in Sicily and it was amazing. It was a special occasion for us and the Prosecco and birthday message very much appreciated. We can’t thank all the staff enough for making us feel so welcome. Katharine, Charlie, Andreas, Sam and James to name but a few! The views of Etna and the bay area from the hotel and our terrace were stunning and were up there with Table Mountain in Capetown. We had dinner one night in the hotel and can say it was as good as any of the excellent restaurants we ate in. The rooms were tastefully decorated and spotless. The courtesy bus down to the town area is an excellent service and at 20 euros per week, great value considering a taxi is 15 euros for one journey. There were lots of recommendations for things to do and places to eat if you asked. Nothing was too much trouble. We will definitely be back in Taormina and will stay at Villa Angela again.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank 33Trish
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We chose this hotel on the basis of good reviews, and have come away with mixed impressions! The hotel has a slightly amateurish feel to it, due probably to being run by Jim Kerr, the owner, who is probably looking for a more informal feel, but sometimes this can lead to a lack of professionalism I feel. We had a lovely room with a great view, but the dividing partitions leave little privacy, as there is jasmine trained on an open trellis, so that if you are outside and so are the neighbours, each can see what the other is doing, which I found off putting. There are sun loungers on the balconies, but no cushions, so the loungers are uncomfortable unless padded with something, and there is also no shade, so that for most of the day it is too hot to go out on the balcony. The rooms are lovely , with rustic furniture and a good power shower, but there isn't much space in the room itself.
The thing I found most trying was the noise. There is a lot of external noise from other floors, and from people coming up and down the stairs and using the lifts. Sounds of dragging furniture, trollies being wheeled around, and people talking very loudly on their balcony early in the morning! Also street noise is a problem, and it often starts very early too. Very little bird song, which is unusual on the continent, especially on a hill.
There were several large foreign parties staying in the hotel whilst on language courses, and this detracted from the atmosphere, as they could be very rowdy, and on one occasion, ruined our dinner. I wish we had been told they would be there before we booked.
The weather was fairly untypical, very windy and cool a lot of the time, which was disappointing, but not within the control of the hotel management!
The pool is small, and overlooked by the dining terrace. There is no shade apart from umbrellas, and in the wind it is unpleasant. Staff often played 'musak' which I found personally annoying and intrusive both in the dining rom and round the pool.
Getting a drink is difficult, as the bar was unmanned most of the time, and even finding someone to ask for a cup of tea or coffee is a problem, which is annoying.
The thing that I felt really let the place down is the breakfast. Little fresh fruit, and that available looked tired and over ripe. I would have loved some grapes and water melon, but the fruit in the canisters appeared tinned, and the fresh fruit did not look appetising. The bread was uniformly not good quality, tasteless, white and a bit stale, with the exception of some small wholemeal rolls some mornings. Why is it so hard to offer fresh, quality bread for breakfast? The cereals were the same ones that seem to be found in all hotels on the Continent - I stuck to the granola. There is a selection of yoghurt and tea bags etc. Coffee and tea is self service from large tureens, and I thought this was poor. I expect to be greeted when I come down and coffee or tea made fresh. There were not even cups on the tables! This meant getting up and down multiple times to get cups, saucers, juice, bread... etc. Not a restful or enjoyable experience, and no trays in evidence to help. The juice was also not great, and more like squash. This holiday was quite expensive and I did not feel this is a four star hotel. Staff did not even acknowledge us really in the morning unless we spoke to them first.
Food at dinner and lunch was good, but I ordered the same dish twice and the portion was smaller and the food less tasty at lunch, despite being the same price! Less vegetables on the plate too. I find that strange. Surely lunch should be cheaper, if the portions are smaller?
The best thing about this hotel is the staff. Katherine in particular is just a marvel. She is professional, helpful, efficient and personable. Unfortunately everyone wants to speak to her, and she was not in evidence much of the time. All the staff however work very hard and appear to care about the customers. They seem to be a tight knit and friendly team, and I suspect the management has much to do with that. I just think some things need to be tightened up a bit and this hotel would be the four star it claims to be.
Getting into town is a chore, there are two sets of steps into Taormina, one more onerous than another. It's fine during the day, but in the evening it's a pain. We did get the shuttle bus a few times, but it's expensive at 20 euros each for a week. I felt the bus should have been free. There is a public bus which goes up and down, but we did not know the times and didn't use this one. The public buses in general are great, and we were thoroughly charmed by the drivers who were full of humour and character. They are clean, well run and go everywhere you might want to go.
One final thing - the hotel provides beach and pool towels. I wish I had known this before packing as it would have meant more space in the suitcase. This is unusual, and a very good idea!

Room Tip: Top floor balconies have more privacy and shade, but may be reserved for special guests. Take ear p...
2 Thank azure983
Media, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 May 2013

No matter how great a Hotel is it is always great to get back to your own house and bed. That is how I have always felt on previous vacations. Not so with my recent trip to Taormina and my suite at Villa Angela. Seriously, I have nothing I would change. The location overlooking the town, the view which was breathtaking, the people. Katherine, Charlie, Sam and the entire crew were so warm,charming and helpful in every way. You truly feel like part of a family there. As most rooms in Italy are on the small side , this was so very impressive with how much room you had. Every detail of the hotel was well thought out and the physical structure itself so magnificently built. There was no corner cutting when this hotel was created. By far, the best place I have ever stayed. I could live there. I wish I had written down the names of all the people there so I could thank each one individually. Gracie!!!

1 Thank Joe P
Saugus, MA
Reviewed 24 May 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 2 week tour of Sicily and southern Italy. Villa Angela was our favorite. We were in a room in the middle of the 2nd floor. It was fabulous. A large terrace overlooked the steaming Mt Etna and to our left the bay. The terrace was separated from our neighbors by trelis covered with sweet smelling jasmine with petunias at the end of each trellis. The room was a good size just like the website pictured with a clean bathroom with an excellent shower. The breakfasts were awesome and could be eaten outside the dining room with the same spectacular view. They had the best stuffed croissants. The employees of the hotel were friendly and super efficient. Villa Angela is way up from town on the side of a cliff so they have a shuttle into town which worked just fine. I can only dream of being there again!

Room Tip: We had room 205 which was great. We had sun and shade on the large terrace.
2 Thank atlanticshoals
Darlington
Reviewed 24 May 2013

This hotel is fabulous!! . We had a fortnights holiday in Taormina and stayed Bed and Breakfast at this hotel. Reception cannot do enough for you on arrival. Each bedroom is a boutique style rustic finish with a large balcony and marvellous views of the coast and Mount Etna. Breakfast is `adequate` with fruit juice, fruit, cereals, pastries, bread and a hot section of eggs, bacon, sausage and vegetables. Poor quality of bacon, however. Why is it always streaky bacon???
Bedding and towels changed regularly and there are pool towels available. There is a charge of €20 (week) or €30 (2 weeks) for use of the shuttle bus which you really need to use because the hotel is so high up and only a long winding road down to the town centre. This seems expensive until you see the prices of taxis...€15 for a SINGLE journey. Hotel can help with car hire and excursions. Staff are very friendly indeed. We had an excellent time and will definitely return.

2 Thank Beeman12
Pieta, Malta
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Taormina is beautiful and the location of this beautiful and very well kept hotel is excellent. My husband and I loved the spectacular views from our bedroom terrace. We booked a deluxe room which was comfortable, quiet, elegant and clean.We enjoyed a very good breakfast and what was also great is that breakfast is served on a terrace overlooking the hotel's pool and with views of Mount Etna. Parking was no problem and the mini-van shuttle service is very convenient and extremely efficient so reaching the centre of Taormina is no problem at all. All employees are nice and extremely polite and efficient. I highly recommend this hotel.

3 Thank MeachenAttard