First the negatives:
1) As reported by others, this hotel is rather dated, with signs of wear on stair carpets, dated room furniture and dated bathroom fittings and air conditioning which we considered just about acceptable (others may think it isn’t!)
2) It is above the town, separated by 40 steps and additional slopes as well as a further 20 steps or slope from the hotel to the street it is on.
3) The breakfast was well below par with stodgy rolls, croissants, only one fresh fruit which alternated between melon and peaches, watery juice, sawdust dry cake, choice of two cereals, hard boiled eggs, and tomato salad. On two occasions we asked for bread and were told there was none. We only had dinner on our first night and two of our party had fish – a tiny portion with hardly any flesh. A rip off. The management need to take action to improve the food.
So why stay here? Well....
1) Get a room at the front and you will enjoy a great view over Taormina and Mount Etna – you’ll marvel at it every morning and every evening and all the time in between.
2) In Taormina you can’t drive to many hotels and have to park in one of the town car parks. You can drive to the front door of the Mediteranee which offers free parking albeit there is very limited space so the staff need the keys so they can move the cars around. Our car was always accessible when we needed it.
3) Without exception every member of staff was friendly and helpful
4) The gardens and the pool – accessible via more steps – are lovely and offer still more wonderful views. Free use of the private beach at the sister hotel is also a bonus which we made use of although we drove there rather than be restricted by the shuttle bus times and cost.
So provided you know what to expect, this is a good option. Apart from the food we were not disappointed as the reviews here on TripAdvisor had prepared us. Hotels in Taormina are expensive and the Mediteranee offers reasonable value.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, Evoline ltd, HRS and Cancelon so you can book your Mediterranee Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mediterranee Hotel Taormina, Sicily