“Broken pool, shabby hotel”
Review of Mediterranee Hotel

Mediterranee Hotel
Ranked #61 of 88 Hotels in Taormina
London, England, United Kingdom
“Broken pool, shabby hotel”
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We had exactly the same experience - the pool was broken and the room was extrememly basic - not what I would expect from a 4 star hotel! The bathroom in particular was very old and there was a big stain in the bath. Although the hotel tried to convince us to stay and take a shuttle to the beach rather than relax by the pool (which did look like a nice area), we checked out soon after our arrival and were fully refunded. This hotel needs refurbishment!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
Witham United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Arrived at hotel to be told the pool was closed due to an explosion. Show to our room in a lift made of corrugated iron. Opened the door and took one look and checked out. What a hole! The man on reception said we were the only guest to complain the pool was not working. It was 90 degrees! Booked into the Monte Tauro then the Villa Angela. These are fabulous.

3 Thank Avril B

Travellers are raving about these Taormina hotels

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2012

I must admit that I was a little apprehensive about our stay having read some of the more recent reviews about this hotel. I needent have worried. Yes, the much mentioned stair carpet is worn in places and the decor is dated, but having spent two weeks there I found it just about perfect for our holiday. Our " garden view" room was bright and airy and surprisingly did offer us stunning views over the sea. ( However as others have reported the views from the more expensive " sea view" rooms must be superlative, as they share these with the terrace, which doubles as an open air bar in the evenings. ) EverywhThe staff were universally attentative and friendly, and the free wifi was a great advantage. Our half board option was ideal for us and our budget. Breakfast was everything you could expect from an Italian hotel, while the food at dinner was generally as good as anything else we ate during our stay : it was classically Italian / Sicilian and freshly prepared to order and delicious. The drink prices were on a par with the rest of town's bars and restaurants. The pool is located within attractive gardens, is a good size and offers yet more stunning views.

In summary, there are obviously more luxurious hotels in Taormina. They are not hard to spot. However, they would have been either have been way out with our budget, or are so far out of town as to have all kinds of other disadvantages. I would be surprised if any are such good value for money or offer such wonderful views.

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 18 September 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Mediterranee Hotel for a week in September. Upon arrival our room was not ready but the receptionist for very helpful, gave us a map of the main street and told us how to get there. We were asked to wait on the terrace and oh my, what a view! We could have waited there all day if needed, however, our room was ready within 20 mins. The receptionist came and got us and took us to our room and our bags were already there. Our room was on the 5th floor and had a view of the sea and over the bay. The hotel is a little run down but the rooms were clean. The rooms are smaller than we normally have and the bed was comfortable. Whenever I booked this hotel my priorities were the view and convenience to the main throughfare and this hotel scores full marks for both. It was only a short (less than 5 mins) walk to the main street. This street has a host of shops, pubs, restaurants etc. We ate there every night and its worth going down the side streets as more choice is available for restaurants there. The breakfast was fine, limited choice but always had enough and of course this is served on the terrace with the amazing view. We went on a trip to Mount Etna, booked through SAT located on the main throughfare, and they were excellent. We booked the day tour but one of our party felt unwell so they took us off the bus and brought us back to our hotel on a minibus. We were then able to do the sunset tour the next day and this was amazing! Well worth the 80 euros each. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. The pool also has the amazing view over the bay and it was quiet and relaxing with no children until the last 2 days. There are plenty of loungers and pads and parasols for everyone. I felt the hotel fulfilled our needs. I wouldn't say this hotel is 4 star according to our standards, it would be more like 2-3 star but it was suffice and if I was going back again I would have no problem in staying here again.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the sea fronted rooms - they are worth it.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

Stunning views from balcony and breakfast terrace. However, hotel is in need of updating and air conditioning was very loud. Entry and hallways look worn, almost dirty but it is generally the fact that it needs updates. Breakfast was very good as was service and hotel staff polite. Very reasonably priced considering location which is within 5 minutes from Corso Umberto I - the centre of town. No need to drive once at this hotel as everything is closeby.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This hotel was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Aircon VERY Poor, staff seemed to know it! I told reception and they sent a guy with a fan up which just circulated hot air:( when I complained to him he said ' you fussy Americans' and laughed to which I relied ' actually I'm British and I don't find that funny!'

Wifi only works on the 1st Floor /patio and terrrace below which led to lots of people hanging around in same area trying to pick up a faint signal. Beds VERY uncomfortable my daughter in her 20's came away with back ache as well as myself! We were bitten to death by bugs at night and did not have the window open in the morning we saw ants all over the room.

Hotel very drab and OLD. The bath was digusting and the shower hardly had any power to it.
The stair carpets were VERY dirty and looked like they needed a GOOD clean. Furniture in the room was old and drab. There was no guide to the hotel in the room, staff took ages to answer phone. Car park and entrance to hotel on a VERY steep incline (not for the feint hearted). The receptionist took our car keys to play musical cars as space VERY limited. Windows banged at night. Breakfast food was awful - dry rolls, awful tasting cucumber. Orange was made up from concentrate. Hotel reminded me of Fawlty Towers! Lady on reception could hardly muster a smile NOT a good welcome..

First review I have written in my life but felt so ripped off staying here. I have NO idea how they can rate it a **** star!!!! Give this a WIDE BERTH.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 9th floor which was awful.... I suggest you don't stay in this Hotel at all...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Boadicea22
Oslo
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Good location, ok pool and free parking, but that's all. The hotel is old and the our room has not been renovated for a while (15 years mabye?). POOR A/C, which means a lot during the summer when the sun heats up the rooms during the day. The beds was also not very comfortable. Not worth the money!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple