“Decent Budget Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #60 of 88 Hotels in Taormina
Saint Julian's, Malta
“Decent Budget Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

Taormina isn't cheap and the same goes for its hotels during peak season. For the price that we've paid I wasn't expecting much and therefore I wasn't disappointed.
This is a budget 3 star hotel just a short 5 minutes walk from Porta Taormina. Nothing fussy about the interior as it is pretty basic. White walls, a ceiling fan, a double bed, a small closet, a tiny desk and a chair, that's it. No curtain but there was a shutter instead. The view of Letojanni's beach and the Calabria coast from our balcony compensated for the lack of interior design.

As for sleep quality, I had better hotels. The mattress and pillows are extremely soft and that was something that wasn't to my liking, but that is me. We didn't opt to use the air conditioner as it was at an extra charge (we were on a budget) so we used the ceiling fan and kept the balcony door open during the night. The only drawback was that every day I was being woke up by the garbage van at 6.30 in the morning.
The TV was at an extra charge as well. Our room didn't even have enough socket outlets to plug in the TV, but we didn't even bother to ask for it.

Internet is only available at the lounge next to the reception.

I would certainly applaud the staff as they are multi lingual and they are really polite and friendly. Their service was always with a smile. Rooms are kept very clean.

I can't complain for the breakfast either. A continental buffet breakfast was served between 7.30 and 10.00 am which included cereal, yoghurt, bread, cold meat, cheese, croissant, juice and a tea or coffee.

I can't say much upon the pool area as we never used it. We are the type of travelers that do not spend much time in hotels and that is why we look for budget accommodation. So to recap, President Hotel Splendid was a decent Hotel and served its purpose well for our trip in Taormina.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2010

Firstly let me say that I usually try to find a good side to everything but with this hotel there is nothing! DO NOT STAY HERE!! We spent a week and I didnt sleep for 6 full days with the constant noise in and outside hotel. its not s 3 star its only a 2. there was no air conditioning unless you paid 10 euro extra per night same with hairdryer. one hairdryer for 52 rooms so you were lucky to get it!!no fridge and no privacy. staff at pool were sleazy and frightening at times. breakfast was rubbish too for the price paid.other hotels had their guests coming to the pool so sun loungers were all gone and nothing said. didnt get our passports back for quite awhile. shower was broken, taps leaked, lucky to have electricity in the mornings - NO SKY tv as quoted so dont be fooled! cleaning ladies in before 10am every morning and wont take no for an answer. just awful. fawlty towers would have been better.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank rachidsleaze

Travellers are raving about these Taormina hotels

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

A great location, quiet, yet close to the town centre and with wonderful views over the bay of Letojanni. Oustandingly good service from the friendliest of staff, for whom nothing was too much trouble (including finding me crutches when I was injured!).
We negotiated a great price over the phone. One tiny criticism - the hotel could do with a little investment, for example some of the beach towels are worn. However, this did not mar a wonderful holiday and the price more than compensated for any minor shortcomings
Sicily is a wonderful holidfay destination and Taormina is just beautiful.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ManchesterItalophile
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

Quite pleased with choice of accommodation. Didn't really spend much time in hotel but all needs were met. Had booked standard internal view room and I was upgraded to a room with a sea view and a balcony. However, I was on the first floor above the reception entrance (Room 121) , on the road and I am a light sleeper so I didn't really manage to have any sleep ins due to external noise. Breakfast was basic but sufficient. Extremely clean but room/bathroom floors can be quite slippery when wet so take your slippers! Staff were very friendly and helpful. Great being so close (walking distance) to shops, restaurants, bars, cable car and bus station. If you can, don't waste your money getting a taxi to/from airport to Taormina. I travelled on my own and paid 5.60 Euros each way on the bus. The buses were on time and I felt very safe. Paid 10 Euros for a taxi from Pirandello Bus Terminal to hotel because I was tired but on my return I walked with my case and was there in 10 minutes! I would definately consider staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2009

The rooms were clean if a little small. Ours had a sea view but no balcony. Other rooms had a balcony and sea view - BUT some had no view - overlooking inner courtyards. No A/C in the rooms but we slept with balcony doors open - no mossies!!
Breakfast was basic and plentiful. Tea was OK but coffee a bit strange. Pool area very small but spacious roof garden on 5th floor. Easy walk to Via Umberto - 3 minutes. Staff generally helpful and pleasant. Lobby bar without character and pricey. Checkout time is 10am but we had no problem staying till after 11am. Nearby restaurant Tiramasu is EXCELLENT and inexpensive - but make a reservation.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2009

I had a girls only holiday in taormina this summer and stayed in the Splendid Hotel. We had paid very little for the holiday through a tour operator becasue we booked at the last minute. As a result our experctations were pretty low....but genuinely none of us could fault it. It was clean, in a good location, had friendly staff and lots of super places to eat and drink on its doorstep.
Granted the pool isn't great but no pool will look good after you have visited the beaches at the foot of the hill from the town (a cable car away)......I would recommend this town to anyone and this hotel too because it absolutley perfect for a trip to Taormina.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2009

We stayed at President Hotel Splendid as a 'cheap and cheerful' option while visiting Taormina for a wedding. We were on the 1st floor, so the view of the coast was impeded by the building across the road, the view also points to the less picturesque part of the coast. Our room seemed clean and tidy, but walking around in bare feet showed otherwise, the floor had clearly had not been washed in a long time. The bathroom was hopeless - the shower door didn't shut properly and leaked water all over the flood, the shower was mouldy, the shower cubicle glass was cracked and shattered, the shower head wouldn't stay up on the holder properly. The overhead fan was temperamental, however the room did cool down in the evenings so we managed to avoid paying the extra charge for the air conditioning. The bed is only 2 singles pushed together and is very basic. The pool is pleasant but only has a few lounge chairs, so obviously these get taken up quickly and we were forced to read our books from the cafe table and chairs all afternoon (if this happens to you, catch the cable car down to the beach instead).
The hotel is close to the main shopping/restaurant area, I found the staff to be fine, and the breakfast is ok - plus the breakfast room has a far better view than our room!
I think as a cheap option the hotel would be fine if they just cleaned it up a little, made sure all the fittings worked and sorted out the state of the shower however I would not stay again, there are far nicer hotels in the area, plus if you want to keep it cheap, stay at the hotels down on the beach - these are much cheaper as they are away from the main village but it only costs 3.50 euros for a return ticket on the cable car to get back up to Taormina for dinner and drinking in the evenings.
I would also agree about comments around passports - although we had paid in advance, they held on to our passports for 2 days and left them sitting with the keys behind the desk, not particularly secure.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple