Residence Terra Rossa
  • Pool
US$258
US$250
Savings alert! 26% below average rates

The price you found is 26% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$339/night.

Grand Hotel San Pietro(Taormina)
US$455
US$389
US$509
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$582/night.

US$411
US$398
Savings alert! 32% below average rates

The price you found is 32% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$583/night.

Free cancellation until 31/05
Book now, pay at stay
US$1,256
Hotels.com
Savings alert! 35% below average rates

The price you found is 35% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$1,939/night.

Panoramic Hotel(Taormina)
US$311
US$544
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfamily owned and runcable cartwo bedroom apartmentstony beachtown centrenice poolon arrivallocation is greatrossostepskitchettecoasthobviewsseaprivacyclimb
Reviewed 25 September 2008

From the website we expected residence terrarossa to be a small run business with only a couple of apartments. This interpretation was completely incorrect as there are numerous apartments (2 apartments side by side, and 2 on top lined up all over the complex) which all share the actually rather small swimming pool (which has limited opening hours: 9am -1pm, 2pm -6pm!).

The apartment itself was fairly clean but very basic. Towels were provided but the kitchen had much to be desired: very basic cooking equipment, limited crockery and no cleaning products at all).

The apartment was cleaned once when we were there (we only stayed for 5 days so that was good) and new towels were provided.

We were promised a sea view and I will definately AGREE that we had a fantastic view from outside of our apartment over Isola Bella. However, the apartments are not very private as people can look staight into the bedroom if they are open which is a shame as you have to keep them closed if you want privacy which shuts out all the natural light and the view from the room.

The situation of the apartments is half way between the steep incline from the coast at Isola Bella to the top of Taormina. You do not realise it from the maps but it is a very steep and long asent from the bottom of the coast to the top of Taormina. If you want to go down to the coast from the apartments you walk down about 10 minutes worth of steps (which you obviously have to climb back up!). It takes 15 mins up hill to reach Taormina from the apartments - it's not worth taking the cable car.

My partner and I walked up and down both sets of hills at least once or twice a day and embraced it as "excerise" but both of us were fed up with it by the end. Bear this in mind if you have children or if you are elderly.

The guy who runs the place speaks fluently in most languages - Dutch, Italian, English, French, and was helpful in calling Italian operators to book dinner or excursions.

I probably wouldn't come back here though there wasn't something terribly wrong with the place. It is probably pretty good value for Taormina as it is an incredibly expensive place to go on holiday.

Overall: great views, OK location, very basic but pretty.

Stayed: September 2008
6  Thank Southwest_adventurer
CZsicilia, Responsabile reception at Residence Terra Rossa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2010

Dear guest and readers,

as I approached your review, my insinct was to respond to each point you made. Indeed I refrain from doing that, bearing in mind "tripadvisor"s purpose.

That said by way of introduction, in compliance with the true spirit of this web site, I really would like to make clear for all the readers and travellers that in no way we are misrepresenting or providing misleading information regarding our services and assets, as someone could think going through your message.

We can proudly guarantee that we ihave no interest to lie to our guests; and we would rather lose a client than cheat and make someone unhappy!

Thank you anyway for your appriciation,
arrivederci! :-)
The Management

Reviewed 7 September 2008

After reading reviews and looking at pictures before I went i wasnt sure what to expect but when I got there i was very pleasantly surprised I would recommend terra rossa to anyone it has a very quiet location, its situatied half way down the hill between the main town above and beach below....the beach below can be reached by a series of steps (391 steps) there is also a mini market situated down the steps where you can get all your food from if u dont hire i car like we did...also down the steps and then left and round the corner is the cable car (in summer its open 8am till 1.30am) which takes you up in to the town which is very cheap at just 2 euros one way or 3.50 euros return...I would recommend u get the cable car up to the town in the evenings and then walk down using steps at the edge of the town....its a very pleasant walk and good exercise. As for terra rossa the apartments are set in beautiful gardens which are maintained everyday...its has breathtaking views over the sea....it would be just worth staying here just for the views...the pool and pool area are great and cleaned everyday...the apartments are basic and traditionally decorated but do the job...there is no tv (but you are on holiday) there is no A/C either which can be a problem when it comes to sleeping at night but it wasnt to bad as the evenings were cool when we were there...there is a fridge and freezer and rings to cook on and obviously a sink...the beds were comfy aswell. Overall i throughly enjoyed my stay at Terra rossa and would recommend it to anyone and hope to go back there again soon.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank Steelersmith
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We really liked the hotel. The rate for that area was very good for what we got. The breakfast was a decent continental breakfast -- no hot foods. Our room had facilities for light cooking as well as a refrigerator. The pool and breakfast room had gorgeous views. I communicated by email with Martin back and forth prior to our stay. His English is perfect and he was very accommodating of our needs. The rest of the staff were really nice, as well. The hotel can be reached by car (there's parking -- may be a fee -- we did not have a car, but others did) or by the staircase -- which is very long.

This has nothing to do with the hotel, but if you do get dropped off by cab, make sure you are dropped off in front of the hotel. We were dropped off at the top of the staircase and told the hotel was 50 meters. After about 100, we came back up and asked for directions at another hotel. It turned out that the hotel was about 500 meters and the cab driver did not want to be bothered driving us the extra distance. I'm 60 years old and was traveling with my daughter. Our luggage was heavy and it was 11 pm when the cab driver pulled this stunt on us.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank thumper1
Reviewed 21 June 2008

We stayed at the Terra Rossa three years ago, so this review is rather late (but Vagabonda’s been badgering me – so here it is at last!). I’d go back if we stayed in Taormina again. The apartments are half way down the hill between Taormina and the beach. The approach road is rather narrow, but once you’ve negotiated it there is useful secure parking on site. When going into Taormina I would recommend walking down, getting the cable car up, and then walking down later (the one evening we walked up, my partner had his shirt off by the time we reached the top of the steps – it gets hot!). The studio was clean, and the staff friendly. It's not luxurious but I never plan spending that much time in an apartment when I'm on holiday. The bed was enormous (if rather hard), the shower was a typical 'not designed for large people' cubicle, which seems to be the norm in Italy (although the bathroom itself was large), and the little kitchette with 2 ring stove, fridge etc, useful. Unlike scotsken, I don’t expect a toaster and microwave in this price bracket. We weren’t adversely affected by the lack of air-con, but I guess that could be an issue in August. I don't think there was a TV but surely that’s a good thing on holiday! There was a small terrace with a table and two chairs – ideal for that late evening glass of wine. There’s also small pool, but it was very cold when we were there (mid-September) and we preferred the bustle of the beach. We had the very end studio (I'm afraid I can't remember the number) which was probably the best there was - no one walking by / fantastic view of the Isola Bella from our little terrace. In our opinion not being in the centre of town was a good thing (very busy) and the walk helps work off the pasta! All in all, a good choice for the money.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled as a couple
2  Thank cranford
Reviewed 19 September 2007

The apartments are poorly equipped.There is no air conditioning .Some apartments have ceiling fans but I had to ask the propieter for a freestanding fan.There are 4 gas hobs, a fridge and a kettle but thats all.No microwave,toaster,TV or washing machine on site (Most other residences in Italy for this price have all of these as standard).I had to ask the propieter 3 times for a broom and dustpan to clean our apartment.The apartments have seen better days and some of the windows and doors did not fit their frames resulting in windows and doors blowing open when it became windy.It is a difficult drive to and from the apartment due to a very narrow single lane.Walking anywhere becomes a nuisance once the novelty of the beautiful view wears off as its a15 minutes downhill(Steps) to a pebble beach and a 20 minute slog up hill into the town.On the plus side there is a nice clean pool with ample recliners and a great view over the bay however these apartments are totally unsuited for elderly tourists or people who have reduced mobility. Overall I would rate these apartments as 2 star.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family