“Dont go with kids!”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Cortona
London
“Dont go with kids!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2011

Given the very aggressive reply to an early critical posting, I am a little worried about being attacked by the owners…(surely, guests are allowed to share their experience at the hotel from their perspective, without fear of attack?).

We stayed at the hotel in mid-August, as a group of three families with seven children between the ages of 8-14. We were only there for three nights, finishing a three leg holiday which included the Rome Cavalieri and a fabulous week on a Cruise.

The villa is very beautiful, and has been restored exceptionally well. The grounds are amazing too, with lovely gardens and a very well maintained and great size swimming pool.

We all had three large rooms, two connecting via a shared hallway with smaller twins for the kids.

The rooms on first inspection are very generous and nicely furnished, and ours had a nice Sky TV and widescreen Plasma, but like others report the internet is terrible (as reasonably explained by the owner in an earlier post).

However, some of the bathrooms are a little dated, and there are some essentials missing (particularly in Summer). The air conditioning is awful and the small units are unable to even cast a light breeze over the large rooms. We had to ask for a fan. There are also no mosquito nets over the windows and in our room we had no shutters on the windows, meaning that we ether slept in a furnace but safe from the mosquitos, or we opened the windows and woke at 6am thanks to the sun light streaming in the very thin curtains and awake having been feasted on by a swarm of mosquitos.

On the plus side, Housekeeping was efficient rather than very detailed and the restaurant staff and quality of the food was superb (both breakfast and dinner).

However, my biggest issue was the feeling that our children were not very welcome. I know we were a large party and kids of any age in a swimming pool like to splash about a little. But we all felt that both the staff and some of the other guests couldn’t wait for us to leave, despite paying over 4000 EUROs for the privilege!

Please note that this is not a child friendly hotel. There are no child menus, no toys (floats/etc) in the pool and there are ‘quiet hours’ from 2pm – 4pm in the afternoon. We went out every day to avoid the grumpy and judgemental stares.

We have stayed around the world in some lovely hotels with the kids, and unlike, for example, the Four Seasons chain which welcomes children everywhere, whilst retaining a relaxing and sophisticated atmosphere for adults and couples, this place resorts to plain old sneering looks and snobbery.

We shall not be returning – which I am sure will delight the owners/management.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
11 Thank milesw
discerning_travel, Proprietario at Villa di Piazzano, responded to this review, 20 August 2011
Dear Guest,
Every management response is commensurate with the nature of the comment made by the guests. Therefore, without any further controversy raised by you, I would like to address the points you have raised.

Each summer we host a multitude of guests which include families with children, couples, honeymooners, or even artists looking for some inspiration from the Tuscan countryside. In August, the blend of travellers with different needs and requirements is even more evident. All of these guests, which will obviously have a different expectation of the hotel, are all paying guests who expect to receive the same value for their money as you did.

In order to ensure an equal balance between families with children and other guests, we have placed a notice down by the pool asking guests to respect a quiet time from 2 to 4 pm. We think this is a positive approach, which ensures that there is a time when children can splash about (most of the day) and a time when people can rest by the pool or read a book in peace (from 2 to 4 pm).

In regards to the sneers and judgemental looks you received from other guests by the pool, I do not think we should be held responsible and leave it up to the other guests as to whether they want to comment. The only direct contact I had with two of your children, whilst I was speaking to a guest at the pool, was to find ourselves ducking to avoid the stones that they were throwing in the pool and I simply asked them to stop as I would do with my own child. I don’t think you can interpret this as being unwelcoming.

Our restaurant offers a type of menu which is suitable for most children. The same night you were having dinner with us, I was also dining here with friends and our respective children. Needless to say, when families choose to come to the restaurant, we always advise the parents that we are happy to make provisions for the children in case they would like something different and this is exactly what we did for your family. You ordered some simple pasta dishes for the children and the chefs prepared what you had requested, so I really do not understand this complaint.

The room in which you stayed, Studio Passerini, is one of our best rooms and features two beautiful arched windows dating back to 1651 which are full of medieval inscriptions. Due to the peculiarity and size of these windows, they cannot have shutters and for this reason we have placed in this room dark blue curtains which can block the sunlight. The windows are facing west so the morning sun does not shine on them. The other three windows in your room all had shutters. It is possible to sleep with the windows open by just closing the dark blue curtains and plugging in the anti-mosquito devices which are readily available at reception.

In conclusion, we are a family run hotel with children and we are pleased to welcome guests with children who can respect the well being also of other guests who choose to stay with us.

With kind regards,

Owner-Manager
Villa di Piazzano

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2011

well located and really quiet, friendly staff.
Expensive hotel without usual 4-stars facilities: WIFI is not working properly, the swimming pool is quite small, old furniture in the rooms. You can only have dinner at the hotel restaurant and the prices are quite expensive in comparison with the menu.
Not a real conciergerie/reception service

• Stayed August 2011
Paris France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We had great expectations about our stay in this over-rated accomodation and were disappointed to be rushed on a first visit trough the amenities on our arrival. The room was sombre with huge spider webs in the bathroom and in the room which were never removed during our stay. The room was cleaned very very quickly and the toiletries were not restocked. Plus internet wifi works very badly wherever you are in the properrty. The sheets were never changed during ou four night stay. There were holes in the hair dryer pipe. Yes the property is very bautiful, the garden and pool very pleasant. But the evil is in the details in the tourism industry and we had the feeling that the staff was overwhelmed to pay enough attention to details. The staff breefings are held at front desk every morning where you expect that they will be available to answer questions and provide information.
On the whole our stay was pleasant given the beauty of the region but the hotel is not good value for monney.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank jean jacques m
discerning_travel, Proprietario at Villa di Piazzano, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Dear Guest,

As I am reading your comments, I am wondering whether this is really the hotel that I run or if there is a mistake?

From the title itself it is clear that with this comment you have no interest in contributing to the community of this forum in an objective and constructive manner, but simply want to damage the reputation of my hotel.  I don’t think this is quite the spirit of TripAdvisor, but leave it to the users of this forum to make a judgement on what you have written.

To give you a reply on the points you touch:

1.        A rushed visit through the amenities of the hotel – it is our custom to give guests on arrival a tour of the hotel in order to familiarize themselves with the property rather than just keeping to the standard check-in procedures.  This type of attention is not common in most hotels and guests seem to appreciate it.  I am sorry that you did not have the same impression.

2.       Spiderwebs in the room – the villa is located in the countryside and most people who have lived in the country know how easy it can be for a spider to enter and make a web in no time and how difficult it can be sometimes to detect, even by the most careful observer.     I am sorry that this occurred in the very room of a person who is so sensitive to this little animal to the point of dedicating such a negative title to the review.

3.       The maid cleaned the room too quickly – I wonder whether this is a point of merit or concern.  Are you familiar with the European standards of timing for the cleaning of a room?  If you are, then it should not be an issue of concern for you.  If you are not, I wonder by what standards can you make this type of judgement?

4.       The amenities were not restocked daily– it is a pity that you fail to point out the quality of our amenities, but above all, you do not make the reader aware of the large size of the bottles (0.75 ml instead of the standard 0.40 ml), including:  shower gel, shampoo, conditioner, bath salts, ecc.  It is unimaginable for a product of this quality and  size to be restocked on a daily basis.  The amenities are in fact restocked when they are about to finish and are checked twice daily, in the morning and at turndown.

5.       The sheets are not changed daily – I am sorry but on this point I can only say that our standard is to change the sheets daily.  If this did not happen, I do not understand why you did not bring it to our attention at the time.  In hindsight, it is impossible to say whether you made a mistake, the maid failed to do her duty or you are simply finding another problem to add to your list.

6.       I do briefings at the front desk every morning preventing guests from consulting with the Reception.  Besides the fact, that I was travelling on the 5th and 6th of August, so I was not even at the hotel for the first two days of your 4 night stay, I do not conduct briefings at the front desk.  I often come out of the office to communicate with the Reception staff, I come out to assist them when it is very busy and I relieve them during their lunch break.  I certainly do not hinder the main function of the Reception.  I am the owner and manager of this hotel and it is definitely not in my interest to prevent the Reception from carrying out one of their main duties.

To conclude, in these first 10 years of business, Villa di Piazzano has grown thanks also to the constructive, serious and loyal contributions of our guests.  We make mistakes, and thanks to our guests we come to know about them and try to correct them to the best of our ability.  But I do not think it is fair to manipulate information turning non-issues into major points of concern.

With kind regards,

Owner/Manager

usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

The Villa di Piazzano is a beautiful villa in a verdant tuscan setting ten minutes from the hilltop town of Cortona.

The clean, well appointed, rather large rooms have great bathrooms and fantastic toiletries.

Although wifi IS available gratis throughout the property, be prepared for a weak signal!

Explore the property and be sure to visit the monastic vegetable garden near the pool.

The wonderfully helpful staff also arranged a tour of the AVINGNONESI montepulciano winery nearby which actually is a ‘must do’ if visiting the cortona area.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
discerning_travel, Owner at Villa di Piazzano, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your delightful comments which we very much appreciated. I did want to respond to you on your point about the WI-FI, particularly because of the large investment we made this year in order to offer wi-fi throughout the hotel. At the beginning of the year we conducted work to wire the entire hotel so that a wi-fi signal could be picked out throughout the property, and you can appreciated that in a 500 year old villa with thick stone walls, this was not an easy task. We then went one step further and decided to offer this service for free, despite our initial investment. The work which was carried out to wire the hotel is state of the arts and works well, but unfotunately the signal must then travel from the central node to the hotel and this is where the problem lays. Italy is a first world country with third world infrastructure. Our phone lines still travel on copper wires and optic fibres are only present in very few sections of a couple of major Italian cities. The problem therefore is not restricted to our zone but nationwide, and I often read comments of other guests staying at other hotels who are frustrated for the same reason. To improve our situation we now have a second line and this allows us to distribute the usage on two lines thus increasing the speed of the signal but there is not much else we can do. My suggestion, therefore, is to come Italy, enjoy all the woderful things this country has to offer and arm yourselves with a bit of patience over its inefficiences. Look at it as part of the folklore of Italy, so that you can make the best of your holiday in our country!

Thank you for staying with us. We sincerily hope to be able to host you again on a future occasion.

With many kind regards,

Owner-Manager
Bloomington, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

Eleven members of our family ended our 14 day trip to italy with 7 glorious days at the Villa di Piazzano. We were in 6 different rooms or suites and each one was lovely , beautifully furnished, exceptionally clean and quiet, and afforded us the perfect night's sleep. We were a group with ages from 14 years old to 50 somethings, and everyone of us enjoyed the place, the friendly staff, the pool, the grounds and most especially the delicious food. We took a fabulous cooking class with Gabriella ( the most enchanting, friendly and skilled chef) and decided to eat as many dinners as we could at the lovely restaurant. Because the weather was so delightful, we were able to dine outside each morning and evening, surrounded by the beauty of the Tuscan countryside. Words cannot describe it. It was absolutely wonderful. When we go to Tuscany again, we will definitely stay here. Many thanks to the kind owners and the amazing staff for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank lovestravel55
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed 7 nights and loved every minute! What a wonderful place and the staff and owners were exceptional. We were able to celebrate Easter there and had a wonderful meal followed by a lovely visit by the owners who took time to sit and visit with us. we can't recommend it enough and look forward to visiting again at some point in the future.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor has a wonderful sitting room.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Asfpartners
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2011

Villa di Piazzano is one of the most beautiful places you will ever stay! the gardens, the food, the staff, the rooms…perfect! The food is prepared from their own gardens and each meal is exquisite. We love our stay here and found the nearboy town of Cortona to be enticing!

Room Tip: This hotel is so wonderful it is hard to imagine !
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple