“Outstanding Risotto”

Locanda al Pozzo Antico
Ranked #9 of 102 Restaurants in Cortona
Price range: US$17 - US$47
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Irvine, California
“Outstanding Risotto”
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Spent a year in Cortona in 2012/13 and ate here many times, always wonderful. Had our daughter with us this month for a short visit and friends took us to lunch here the day we arrived. Paola had just made zucchini risotto and everyone tried it. After two weeks in Italy, we were once again back in Cortona for our Daughter's last night and she requested this place again for the risotto, said it was the best meal she had in all of Italy. Guess that is as good a review as you can get. Thank you, Paola for making her trip so special!

• Visited August 2014

• Finnish first
Cheshire UK
“A Great Family Run Restaurant”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This family run restaurant is a short way down a passageway off the main pedestrian street in the hillside town of Cortona in Tuscany.
The staff here are very friendly and helpful.
On a recommendation six of us had a midday dinner here in a pleasant open courtyard.

• Visited August 2014
Chestnut Ridge NY
“If Paola recommends it...try it!”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

The owner of the house we rent steered us to this place because the owners are friends. Of course, that means that we were treated especially nicely...just like everyone else who walks in. You can tell immediately that these people really love serving great food.

The best thing I tasted during my recent Italy trip was here. Unfortunately, all I got was a taste because it was my friend who ordered it! When we arrived Paola (one of the owners) recommended the beef which had been marinated in Chianti for a day and then cooked very slowly. "Meh," I thought to myself, "I can get beef stew at home." Bad decision.

My meal was perfectly lovely, but when I go back to this place on our next trip I will eat whatever Paola wants to put in front to me.

Singapore, Singapore
“Great find”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We found this charming restaurant on our visit to Cortona last year and couldn't wait to go back.Paola the owner and her husband are wonderful hosts THE setting in the court yard garden feels like your sitting in there backyard and you really are because they live upstairs?One day we went for lunch and the restaurant was closed so we rang the bell Paola looked out her window saw it was us came down invited us in and we had a three hour lunch.She just kept bring food out for us to taste before we even ordered?We were in Tuscany for three weeks and ate here four times.
We have some fussy eaters in our group but nothing was to much trouble for Lucia the chef to make.Listen to they suggestions as to what's fresh for the day and you will be happy you did.

London, United Kingdom
“Best of Tuscany, in a little courtyard of a restaurant”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

It was almost innocently located off the main street in Cortona, and my buddy who is local to the region had nonchalantly drifted towards Pozzo Antico so unsuspectingly, that I had no expectations or knowledge of what was to come.

We were seated in a small internal courtyard which seemed simple and idyllic, and accompanied with good and homely hospitality from Paola, who incidentally knew my friend well. And so ordering food was more a case of "well, you must have this today", and so we followed her recommendations and were deservedly rewarded with a delightfully paper thin spinach and cheese fagotta, an amazingly light vegetable millefoglie, and the freshest of fresh linguine I have had in a long while.

We had an exquisitely light dessert also at Paola's suggestion, and drifted out of the restaurant afterwards completely satiated. Simply mind blowing..

1 Thank WinsN