“Fantastic Food, Excellent Location, Friendly helpful staff”
Review of Ad Braceria

Ad Braceria
Ranked #17 of 102 Restaurants in Cortona
Price range: US$23 - US$41
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food, Excellent Location, Friendly helpful staff”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We have just arrived home after spending an idyllic 2 weeks in Tuscany, only 10 minute's drive from Cortona. Whilst visiting this beautiful hillside town, we were drawn down a small alley to Ad Braceria by the smell of woodsmoke from their pizza/bread oven. What a fantastic place. Set in old wine cellars, underneath the old streets and shops we were treated to some excellent food, drink and friendly, welcoming staff. We had meat, pasta and a variety of seafood dishes that were delicious.
We enjoyed it so much we returned later in the week for an evening meal which was also outstanding.
A happy and memorable time was had be all.

2 Thank Pluckmeister

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hertford, United Kingdom
“Great food and location ”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner here on the recommendation of our hotel and pleased we did. Really nice place underground in what looks like an old wine cellar and the food was fresh and really tasty. Good service if a little slow (even by Italian standards!) but it was worth the wait and we weren't in any rush. The fresh pasta was divine :-)

2 Thank Bobbylimbo
London, United Kingdom
“Great Food Just Take Monopoly”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

When we arrived with our little princess and the pushchair they did look startled but were very accommodating. Showed us to a table and insisted we leave the buggy at the table side.
Water arrived straight away and a rustic bag of bread....all very positive. Waitress took the order after a wait and then the chaos started. The gorgeous Italian couple on the next table interrupted the slow pace of service by having a barney and the couple at the back of the restaurant managed some conversation between them. They must have been married . When the bruschetta arrived we were not disappointed. It was fab as was the stuffed ravioli I had and my lady had the tuna which was delicious if a little underdone for her liking. The food indeed is tip top when it arrives but the service is chaotic ....very Italian .....they seem to have been trained by Berlusconi when he has just been on the bugle. Do check out this place for sheer food quality but make sure you either take your mistress or a deck of cards.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank jonspeyer
Timonium, Maryland
“Do not order any dish with shellfish”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My family and I just spent a week renting a lovely villa on the hillside of Cortona. It was an exquisite experience, for the most part. Our final two days unfortunately, were tainted by a stomach bug (or food poisoning) that my husband suffered immediately following his meal at Ad Braceria. The restaurant was lovely and welcoming as soon as we walked though the doors. We received a ringing endorsement from their "sister" shop across the way, "Il pozzo", which is a gorgeous art gallery in the same little "vicola" as Ad Braceria. In fact, it was so strange to me when the gallery owner walked us into the restaurant and in my semi-adequate understanding of Italian, made sure he mentioned that he sent us to them, possibly getting some sort of "kickback" by recommending tourists to this "off the main drag" quaint spot. Sara, our server was friendly enough (the only English speaker of the bunch) but very forgetful of items we asked for and then had to keep reminding her about. My four year old daughter was a bit noisy and fidgety but thankfully, the entire staff was understanding and welcoming, as we shushed her and tried to help her understand the significance of manners in this lovely etruscan, cave-like and romantic spot. My husband ordered two dishes (an antipasto and primo piatto) that contained mussels, clams and squid. They were tasty to him, didn't smell fishy and he enjoyed his meal. Thirty minutes immediately following, he started getting severe pains and the onset of nausea. From that moment on, he knew he was in for a long, nasty and uncomfortable night. The next day....I decided to go over and chat with the restaurant, not to rant and rave...but to politely let them know about what happened to my husband. The managers/owner immediately went on the defensive, saying that there were other patrons who ordered the same dishes that night and that nothing of the sort happened to them. And then proceeded to try and convince me that there was a virus going around town and that even some of their kitchen staff was suffering from it. Hello??? That should tell you right there. There was either some bug going around (that my husband contracted from their carelessness) or that their shellfish arrived with a toxic bacteria. At any rate, I was trying to nicely inform them (in Italian) about my husband's rough night and they completely defended themselves, even suggesting the medicine that he needed to take and which pharmacy to purchase it from. This is what I disliked the most...the complete lack of ownership, blame or apology for our experience. Believe me, I am not a naive tourist. I know food and I know what this was. My husband was poisoned. He was not well for day afterwards and we will always remember the night that spoiled our tuscan dream vacation.

• Visited May 2014
6 Thank DivaSuzyQB
Okauchee, WI
“Cortona at it's Best”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Our party of eight showed up a few weeks ago and we were welcomed into their beautiful dining room with gusto. We all had the Chimera beef, done to our individual tastes and it was nothing short of fabulous...one of the best steaks I've ever eaten. Great wine selection, great side dishes and service was impeccable.

• Visited May 2014